Concordia Sunk

True... but how many have we had named USS Chesapeak? She was also one of our original six frigates and the only one that bore the name and then.... what?

According to Wikipedia (not the most reliable of sources, true, but usually right), there were four other Chesapeake's in the U.S. Navy. However, only two of them probably "count" as commissioned warships that bore the name (a training bark later renamed the USS Severn, and a salvage ship that was temporarily commissioned in 1919)--of the other two, one was renamed while still under construction, and the other was never commissioned.

The others were
United States
Constellation
Congress
President

And, contrary to popular belief, the Constellation is NOT the same ship moured in California.

Regarding the other names, again according to Wikipedia:

* There have been three other USS United States planned--but two were canceled wile under construction, and the third was a Nimitz-class that was renamed the Harry S. Truman while under construction.

*There have been four USS Constellations--the original frigate, a sloop of war now a museum in Baltimore, a canceled Lexignton-class battlecruiser, and a Kitty Hawk-class carrier. I don't know of a "Constellation" moored in California...did you mean the Baltimore one?

*There have been four USS Congress's comissioned in the United States Navy, and two more that were with the Continental Navy.

*Just two USS President's...the original frigate, and a 12-gun sloop that served on Lake Champlain during the War of 1812. Interestingly, she was active at the same time as the frigate, but maybe they thought it was all right for them to share the same name because they were on separate, unconnected bodies of water?

So the only unique name among the original six frigates was the Constitution...who is still commissioned today.

I don't know of a "Constellation" moored in California...did you mean the Baltimore one?

There be something here at the Nautical Museum in San Diego. I know they have the 'modern' ship that was used in Master and Commander, but I had an opportunity to drive by a few weeks ago after vising the TCS Midway's namesake (the USS Midway) and there were actually a number of period sailing vessels docked at the museum at the time (though we were unable to stop and see them, due to time constraints).

As good a time as any to mention that out of all the Aircraft Carriers in the continental US you can visit (and one you can't) that I've toured, the USS Midway museum was by far the best I've ever seen.

The Concordia wasn't an oil tanker, she was a purpose built sailing ship. The only USS Nimitz ever built is currently still in service and is not a battleship. She is CVN-68, the first of ten Nimitz class aircraft carriers. http://wikipedia.org/en/USS_Nimitz

Perhaps you mean one of the retired Iowa class battleships? Those were Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri, and Wisconsin. All of them except for Iowa are currently museums. Two other ships (Illinois and Kentucky) were under construction at the end of World War II but were never completed.

We are talking about the same nimitz, i fail to see where you contradict my post. I chose this ship because it is the head of it's classes, and I do not think she(or her class) has an equal. And I think you misenterprated my definition of battleship, I know she's an aircraft carrier, with battleship I'd indicate a ship designed for military purposes(warfare).

The Constellation, I'm pretty sure, spent some time in san diego.

The Connie was based in San Diego on and off for many years before she was decommissioned a few years ago. I remember heading down to the beach in my youth and seeing her and the other West Coast carriers moored just across San Diego bay from our usual dive spot. Once, my Dad's cargo ship tied up just behind the Kitty Hawk. It was my first time that close, and I amazed at her magnificence; my old man's ship looked like a dinghy in comparison.

If I were to choose an american battleship, I would choose the Nimitz, I would not mind a job there, but AFAIK she is still functional and used for military needs.

Heck yeah, three WestPacs and almost two years on that beast and I still love her. I was one happy sailor when I learned my squadron would cruise on the Nimitz. Now I just need to get to the Enterprise...

Heck yeah, three WestPacs and almost two years on that beast and I still love her. I was one happy sailor when I learned my squadron would cruise on the Nimitz. Now I just need to get to the Enterprise...

Unfortunately you don't have much time left. Congress approved plans to decom Enterprise two years early. She's supposed to go out of service in 2013 now. I'm Navy ROTC and I'd love to get assigned to her, but I graduate in 2011. The only routes I have onboard are to be an aviator or a SWO-nuke, and I probably wouldn't finish training in time to be assigned to her.

Actually I just found out the Dutch fleet had a Concordia in 1696; Ofcourse, this ship was lost at sea and presumed destroyed in 1708, accept for her measurements and the class indication of "frigate", not much is known about her.

So the students and their Concordia were going to Montevideo. Not the best place for a ship to go anyway...

Panzerschiff-admiral-graf-spee.gif

Back