Concordia Sunk

Mace said:
No, but the observation deck was probably hit like hell, and the Piano didn't survive either.

She was a nice ship though: http://www.shipparade.com/cruise r...hip_review.jpg

That's a cruise liner. The ship that sunk was a tall ship used as a floating classroom for high school students. They take a year of school while traveling around the world on the ship.

Concordia.jpg

Actually That's very impressive, but she should have been made from wood. This ships looks like an oil tanker with sails strapped onto it. She could have looked like the batavia:
batavia.jpg

And yes that is a real ship.

Actually That's very impressive, but she should have been made from wood. This ships looks like an oil tanker with sails strapped onto it.

It's some jacked up 3rd world trawler with sails slapped on it... what did they think was gonna happen? :p

Seriously though, when I was 16 or something I sailed to Shetland with school, I think the trip back and forth took about a week, and it was its own brand of fun and all... but if I had to stay on one of those things for ten months I don't think I would mind it sinking all that much. :p

The concept is pretty neat, though.

Eh, you lot just have no appreciation of a classic design. All that junk they had on deck, admittedly, is ugly and messy - but the hull seemed to have been very streamlined. She was probably a very fast ship.

I agree with Quarto on this....I mean I'm sure the ship wasn't made of iron I mean come on now... It does look like a pretty streamlined design

Eh, you lot just have no appreciation of a classic design. All that junk they had on deck, admittedly, is ugly and messy - but the hull seemed to have been very streamlined. She was probably a very fast ship.

It's a barquentine. You can hardly call it a classic design. Now if she had a proper barque rig or a fore-and-aft rig I might be willing to agree with "classic", but not that weird late Victorian aberration.

but the hull seemed to have been very streamlined. She was probably a very fast ship.

Yeah, but as you said yourself, the rest is just ugly and messy... the one I travelled with, the Statsraad Lemkuhl, on the other hand:

statsraadlehmkuhlroyaly.jpg

Now, that's a nice ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concordia_(ship)

Apparently she was built in 1996 and had a steel hull. Auxiliary propulsion was provided by a diesel engine. The article states that she encountered a microburst and capsized within 15 seconds. Poor ship never had a chance.

No kidding. I always question how some of the slimmer hulled sailers were built. I always thought the wider galleon style was a bit more stable.

The ship I posted before was a replicant of the flagship of the dutch navy in the times when new york was still called new amsterdam. She can sail and has sailed from Australia, if you guys ever visit the Netherlands, she is a museum, and about 15 minutes walk from Amsterdam central station. We created an island just to rebuild her: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batavia_(ship)

Putting sails on an old oiltanker does not make her a nice ship to look at. If I were to choose an american battleship, I would choose the Nimitz, I would not mind a job there, but AFAIK she is still functional and used for military needs.

Putting sails on an old oiltanker does not make her a nice ship to look at. If I were to choose an american battleship, I would choose the Nimitz, I would not mind a job there, but AFAIK she is still functional and used for military needs.

The Concordia wasn't an oil tanker, she was a purpose built sailing ship. The only USS Nimitz ever built is currently still in service and is not a battleship. She is CVN-68, the first of ten Nimitz class aircraft carriers. http://wikipedia.org/en/USS_Nimitz

Perhaps you mean one of the retired Iowa class battleships? Those were Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri, and Wisconsin. All of them except for Iowa are currently museums. Two other ships (Illinois and Kentucky) were under construction at the end of World War II but were never completed.

The Concordia wasn't an oil tanker, she was a purpose built sailing ship. The only USS Nimitz ever built is currently still in service and is not a battleship. She is CVN-68, the first of ten Nimitz class aircraft carriers. http://wikipedia.org/en/USS_Nimitz

Perhaps you mean one of the retired Iowa class battleships? Those were Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri, and Wisconsin. All of them except for Iowa are currently museums. Two other ships (Illinois and Kentucky) were under construction at the end of World War II but were never completed.

Don't forget to mention that in the entire history of the US Navy we have had no less then Eight ships named the Hornet - but only ONE named the Constitution!

Don't forget to mention that in the entire history of the US Navy we have had no less then Eight ships named the Hornet - but only ONE named the Constitution!

True... but how many have we had named USS Chesapeak? She was also one of our original six frigates and the only one that bore the name and then.... what?

The others were
United States
Constellation
Congress
President

And, contrary to popular belief, the Constellation is NOT the same ship moured in California.

That's because you can't give a new ship an old name until the old ship is struck from the records.

And the U.S.S. Constitution was never struck. She is still an actively commissioned U.S. Naval vessel. So we couldn't have another one...

Back