Concordia Battle Group Flies On To Your Background (February 20, 2006)

Cpl Hades

Mr. Kat
Marc Pageau has sent us this new wallpaper which is optimized for a 1280x1024 desktop, though obviously it'll scale to any size. The scene shows a pair of Sabres and a pair of Broadswords with the Concordia, a Waterloo cruiser and a pair of Gilgamesh destroyers providing the background. Unfortunately Marc hasn't provided any details about the source of his models or the design process, but it looks good regardless.

--
Original update published on February 20, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they certainly look like the original models...right down to the flat portion of the broadswords canopy, and the wierd distortion on the waterloos nose. Heck, even the texture distortion on the front of the concordias prongs is there. I'd say those were the original WC2 models. Of course, I've been wrong before.

Those are the models that Marc made. They look just like the WC2 ones too. Amazingly good job.

All the ships do look very similar I agree... The Concordia i'm espiecally enthusiastic about, it seems... different from the rest.

ah... guys, it's just the same models I've been using the last couple of months. I thought the CIC administrators would recognize my e-mail... they obviously didn't.
followup015pf.jpg

Marc said:
I thought the CIC administrators would recognize my e-mail... they obviously didn't.

We usually don't recognize addresses when we've only ever gotten one email from the person. Your email actually got spam killed and Kris just happened to get lucky and see it. Also, is it possible to get more standard aspect ratios? A lot of people use these for desktop images. 818x673 is kind of a weird resolution. Even if it's just extending the starfield, something more common (and always larger) would probably help some people

Hey, that looks great, but 1280x1053 is still a weird resolution. :) It's great that it's such a high res, but 1280x usually translates into 1280x1024. 1280x960 and 1280x720/800 are less common but somewhat standard resolutions. Where did you get the 1053?

Yeah sorry for that. When I rezised the Image, 1280 was the only value I was shure on. Photoshop jus calculated that if I whanted it at 1280 pixels, then the other side had to be... 1053, so I just pressed on OK and didn't bother myself further. Not very professionnal but I for one can live with it ( I'll do better in the future ;) )

What beautiful pictures - the golden age of WC

Those ships are so amazing, it is a shame that 3d technology wasn't up to the task for WC3 to continue that linage/color scheme. Thankfully we have your models and WC Standoff.

On that note, everyone vote for the Gilgamesh on the destroyer poll, let's win one for the William Tell!

Nice work, Marc!

I'm probably being pedantic here, but my only criticism is the amount of visible edge-aliasing ("jaggies") in the wallpapers, particularly on the Concordia in the first wallpaper. If possible and assuming that your 3D package supports one or more Full-Scene Anti-Aliasing (FSAA) implementations, it would be great if you could ratchet up the anti-aliasing when rendering in future.

Slightly off-topic, but these wallpapers remind me of a pretty nifty animation produced around 1998/1999 IIRC, possibly by Rylex, using various WC2 models. The animation included close-up flyby's (left-to right) of the Epee or Ferret, Sabre and Broadsword (which nonchalantly deflects a piece of debris as it cruises past:D ), as well as some scenes of larger flightgroups, all to the tune of the WCM overture.

I've rummaged through my local WC folder, the CIC file section and news archives, but to no avail. Anyone else recall this animation and/or have a download link?

Cheers,

BrynS

The oldest mention of Rylex was in late 2000, so it probably wasn't him. We didn't post many videos back in '99 and '98, so a news search for .avi and .mpg in 1999 or 1998 should bring up just a few results. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that sounds like what you're describing. We probably would have mentioned it in the news, although there was some weird rivalry from the wcmods site at the time.

KrisV said:
The oldest mention of Rylex was in late 2000, so it probably wasn't him. We didn't post many videos back in '99 and '98, so a news search for .avi and .mpg in 1999 or 1998 should bring up just a few results. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that sounds like what you're describing. We probably would have mentioned it in the news, although there was some weird rivalry from the wcmods site at the time.
Yeah, it wasn't Rylex.

I've just checked through some old VHS tapes with various WC-related footage on them and found a partial copy of the animation I was referring to -- Asteroid Navigation by Evan Adnams (Hadrian) -- I believe the filename is aiw.mpg.

A quick search brings up two news references and a related thread praising Hadrian's work while probing for a reliable download link. With the KillerBee's link inactive and the file not appearing to have been transferred to/mirrored at the CIC, it looks as though it may be lost until found.

Perhaps Hadrian still has the original file and could upload it to the CIC? I don't have my capture rig anymore, so I can't digitise and then upload the incomplete animation, but if nobody else has a copy of the original file I could probably sort something out, although the quality won't be great and as I said, I don't believe the complete animation was recorded.

Cheers,

BrynS

Last edited by a moderator:
I whent back and made it better... just thought I owed it
boy this rendering thing is hard...
connie52ys.gif

connie62rx.gif

Back