Concept Art - Confed Tugboat (Okay...carrier)

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Whatever it was I figured I try modelling it...here's what I have so far. It's very basic but the general form is there...I still need to add the lower pods near the engines but once I have that then I can really go to town on adding turrets, radar, bridge, details etc.

confedtugboat.jpg

Like I said in the other thread, it's a Cruiser. Also see the fighter there for scale reference.

Very nice effort for a first shot - and just guessing at the size of that thing, it'll be pretty impressive too. (Nonetheless some associations to a giant leafblower remain..)

This is not your average leafblower...haha, good reference. Okay, Chris, sorry cruiser just strikes me as a tugboat looking thing. Anyway, I plan on really puting some details to this here in the upcoming. Since I only have the one concept shot it's going to have to take some interpretation.

C4d...its the only one I understand :) Well, I do know Bryce and Milkshape 3d but those don't count. ;) I posted a thought in your Kilrathi concept fighter thread though...

Yes, i'v read it :) Good idea about blowing your ship with mine :) Only problem can be that i use 3dsmax. I heard about Cinema4d and Bryce, but i dunno what Milkshape 3d is.
So, im not sure how can we make the two formats compatible yet. But first, lets finish the modells :) Btw, u could post a thought about the right wing of the kilrathi fighter wich is mostly not on the concept drawing :)

Would a 27th century tugboat like that use some kind of isometal cables or an industrial strength tractor beam?

Is it just me or this thing really looks like a cannon or pistol of some sort? BTW, great job, it's really similar to the concept.

great job with the model.

although, i find the ship to be very ugly. this is a cruiser, capital ships are supposed to be sleek and imposing.

your right, i get the feeling of a shipyard tug instead of a ship of the line.

first lieutenant, baby.

Maj.Striker said:
Okay, Chris, sorry cruiser just strikes me as a tugboat looking thing.

I don't see it. That's why I brought it up again.. to me the ship looks pretty big and powerful, not like a plodding tugboat.

Okay, I must just be odd like that. :) Anyways, here's a slight update, I've fleshed out a little more to the ship, I'll keep at it but need to take a break for the moment (I can only stare at one thing for so long :) ). Anyways, I know I'm interpreting a lot but I think the basic form is still there.

confedtugboat1.jpg

Call me old fashioned but I never really liked the "newer" ships. I liked the looks of all the ships until Prophecy - it seemed like such a radical change to me though the biggest change was probably between II and III

Looking interesting and it appears that you are staying pretty faithful to the sketch, as much as you can anyway. Maybe its just me but I never cared for any of these Privateer online concept designs, they all look pretty bad in my opinion and do not at all look like they belong in Wing Commander. And Loaf what is your problem with Freespace, it was a good game?

Back