Composite Bengal Gets Some Teeth (January 31, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Lars has continued to refine his unified Bengal design. After having incorporated Wing Commander Academy's side hangar bays, he has begun to detail the 40 missile and torpedo tubes shown in the Wing Commander movie. Inset defense turrets, various maintenance access hatches and stabilization thrusters are now also visible. More work on the turrets is coming soon. You can find the original batch of shots for this neat idea here.

I finaly found some time to work on the model again and so I added the torpedo tubes at the front. I have set a torpedo to a length of about 4.5m and 0.2m radius. Taking that size I could place 8 tubes at each side which makes 16 tubes in the front arc. The rest of the 40 tubes will be placed along the sides of the ship about the placement as in the movie.

The lauchers are normaly protected by blast doors. The pic shows the "open fire" position.
Right in front of the torpedos is a little window, airlock and some maintance doors for quicker access to the tubes and thrusters if repairs are needed.

--
Original update published on January 31, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Lars,

Just let me be the first to say that this is looking absolutely incredible! I've always wanted to see a 'Claw that ethos I have built up around her, and I must say your model is doing a fantastic job!

I'd respond to this, but I have to go FIGHT DINOSAURS IN MY AMAZING TALKING CAR!

Seriously, though, another block please, Kris.

Oh, wow, we gave you a second chance? That's awful -- you certainly deserved the second ban, too. Nab that IP too.

I had a rant here, but it's just as off-topic as the rest of the crap in this thread.

Or, rather, the crap formerly in this thread.

That's a hint, folks.

@Death
Thanks for cleaning that up. I read some of the linked things and it was quite funny I must say but I agree with you that it didn't belonged here.

So to post something that belongs here...how about a little update?
I have started working on the bridge part. I put the bridge itself about the same level as the little "wings".
Thinking about what could be in these cylinders infront of the tower someone gave me the idea that they could house some electronic stuff like radar and comunication devices so I just gave them a little armor and also on big and a smaller maintaince doors if bigger parts need to be replaced.
The top structure has also some heavy armor plating since its a quite importend part of the ship.

Overview
Note that one of the torpedo bays is now closed and one open and windows had to be resized since I forgot that I changed some scaling, they have now highed of 1-1,5m what is more fitting to normal windows then the large one I had.

And a closer look

yeah good work there...keep those updates coming. Also, what rendering options are you using for these shots?

Mh lets see
Renderer : Mentalray
Filter: Mitchell
Samples per pixel: 1 / 16
Also use the final gathering option. The background is a simple gradient.
Still the effect wouldn't be complete with playing a little with the texture setting and adding some lightsources. I also use a little skylight to give an overall lightning to the scene and some simple omnis to create the shadows.

I dug around on my computer and found an old model I had made some time back. Definitely nothing you will want to follow but thought I'd post it...well just because. :)

Attachments

• bengalweb.jpg
    bengalweb.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 108
  • bengalweb1.jpg
    bengalweb1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 103
gevatter Lars said:
I still have a pic of it as inspiration in my bengal folder ^_^
I think it was a good model with lots of details.

Yeah, but I think yours is going to have lots of more details (also better details :) ) so I'm anxious to see how this one progresses. My bengal was the first high detailed mesh I'd ever attempted, it was alright but I made lots of mistakes. Keep us updated on your progress. :)

Back