Comment on Music Videos

AKAImBatman

Spaceman
I have just one comment (other than some terrible tastes in music :D :p ;)) about the various music videos that have appeared lately. My comment applies to all of them, so I figured I'd start a new thread. My comment is as follows:

You guys neeed to add some sounds and/or let the original sound bleed through. Most professional music videos don't kill the sound like that; it's unnatural. Even muted sounds help draw you into the situation of the video. Take the example of the Kim Possible theme song. (Hey! I got kids, so keep quiet! Besides, I'm just a 6'2" scary looking kid at heart. ;)) When you watch it on the television, it seems that the music completely supplants the sound effects. Not so, however! Try recording it and turning off the picture. Notice anything? That's right, the music has sound effects mixed in. Muted, yes, but sound effects none the less.

Just some constructive criticism. Hope it helps. :)

True, I wasn't trying to belittle your comments as they were well founded criticism, I was just pointing out (especially in my case) that video editing is definitely not my forte.

Maj.Striker said:
True, I wasn't trying to belittle your comments as they were well founded criticism, I was just pointing out (especially in my case) that video editing is definitely not my forte.

No worries. :) I don't know what video editing tools you use, but try experimenting with adding sound effects for events in the video. For example, I would have loved to hear the explosion that destroyed the Nephilim fleet at the end of your WCP video.

If that works out, then you can try putting the voices back in at key points. Lower the volume of the music slightly, and play the original audio at its original volume. If you have to (again, don't know about your tools, just trying to be helpful) record the sound out of the original video, then redub it to the music video.

FWIW, your WCP video is my favorite of all these videos that have come out. I love how the scenes line up with the music so perfectly. Oddly, my second favorite is WC4LaLa... :p

Keep up the good work! :)

I've tried a bit of adding sound effects and such to my music videos, but most of the time I found them too distracting even at low volume. The problem with doing so from WC games is that usualy the scene already had music, which makes for some very "interesting" results if not carefull. I toyed with it a bit on my Prophecy music vid - which should be available shortly - but utimately decided that it was better off without them. Either they were too loud and annoying or the music was loud and didn't really sound better with extra noise

Back