comment on content

Status
Not open for further replies.

upyr1

Spaceman
This will get me banedand I don'g give a damn,
but may some one scope your brains out of your skull so what my spelling isn't the best post replies on content not spelling unless it is unreadable.
People while state that they have some reason for speling horibaly, in part becuse may be that is the reason and in part becuse they would perfer to carry on a decent thread. All of you spell checkers especialy Chrisried is the reqson I am no longer posting...as it is clear I am not welcome,.

You will be sorely missed. I will especially miss your numerous "fuck" comments, which you miraculously had no problem spelling.

upyr1 said:
This will get me banedand I don'g give a damn,

This will get me banned, but I don't give a damn.

but may some one scope your brains out of your skull so what my spelling isn't the best post replies on content not spelling unless it is unreadable.

I'm scratching my head on this one, but I think the translation is:

Someone should hammer into your brain that my spelling isn't the most important thing. You should pay attention to my content unless it is completely unreadable.

(FWIW, it IS completely unreadable.)

People while state that they have some reason for speling horibaly, in part becuse may be that is the reason and in part becuse they would perfer to carry on a decent thread.

People give excuses for spelling horribly, partly because the excuse may be true, and partly because they just want to communicate.

All of you spell checkers especialy Chrisried is the reqson I am no longer posting...as it is clear I am not welcome,.

I feel that because of you human spell checkers, especially Chris Reid, I am no longer welcome and thus will stop posting.

-----

Your problem isn't just spelling. Most misspellings are ignored on the internet because typos and simple mistakes are common in text that isn't proofread. Your real problem is grammar. No one can understand what the hell you're saying! This then magnifies the point that you can't spell at all (which is inexecusable in a world with free Word Processors around every corner).

The purpose of communication is to communicate. If it's not important enough for you to make the effort, then it's not important enough for anyone to listen.

Wow. Listen, when the Q-tip meets resistance...STOP!

It's not that your grammar is bad...its that your grammar is SO bad that it brushes beyond on incoherency. People should not have to reread your post 17-20 times just to get the general geist of what your three sentences are actually trying to say. If you're too lazy to take the time to make sure your post makes sense, then we're too lazy to read it. It's only fair.

Ok, again I'm defending upyr1.

If it's not important enough for you to make the effort, then it's not important enough for anyone to listen.

Don't be such a hard ass. Sorry if it's aggressive, but if you did go teaching someday, you would notice that some people try like hell to spell and write correctly, and they just can't. I don't know why, but I do know it happens. And it doesn't have anything to do with accidents or disabilities. It's just that some people can't think ahead while writing, so they write as if they were speaking (kind of what happens to upyr1), and that leads to horrible grammar. Add that to horrible typing, and it becomes hard understanding what upyr1 says, but not impossible. And even if impossible, not once anyone asked the simple question "What do you mean?". Why is that it's more fun to make fun of someone than to try to communicate with him?

Klauss, I'm not attacking him because of an obvious deficiency he has because he has shown in the other thread that he is quite capable of making coherent, grammatically-correct posts. (Even if it is something along the lines of, "You guys are a bunch of dorks that jack off reading dictionaries). I think you'll find that this community is quite accepting of poor grammar especially in the case of "foreigners" (See Spy|ITA's thread). This gentleman, as Chris was so good as to ascertain beforehand, is from the US and should at least be able to read and write at a fourth grade level. Of course, then again...he is from Oklahoma that could explain a lot.

I have a friend who has problems with grammar, but at least he's understandable and wants to improve. I probably wouldn't even mind upyr1's post (I had to stare at each sentence to "translate") if he wasn't being hostile. When I correct my friend, he's happy and tries to learn... this guy doesn't seem to want to learn, instead he gets upset.

I know. But I've seen this kind of writing while teaching in school, and while some of them write like this out of lazyness, some try real hard. And since we can't really know which case it is in upyr1's case, I think basic kindness should make people try to understand before attacking. For what I've seen in the threads, everyone started attacking and noone tried to understand what upyr1 was trying to say.
I thought he needed some backup.
What I didn't like, actually, is the comment "If it's not important enough for you to make an effort then it's not important enough for anyone to listen". That's too harsh. More even if you consider that noone can really know whether or not he's making an effort. And if he says he does, who are we to tell him otherwise?

klauss said:
I know. But I've seen this kind of writing while teaching in school, and while some of them write like this out of lazyness, some try real hard.

And do those students who try hard swear at everyone who can't understand them, or do they mention their difficulties up front to people and ask for understanding and assistence?

I'm really not trying to give the guy a hard time. I'm trying to point out where the break in communication is, and where he needs to focus to improve it. I've met a lot of these "unteachable" kids, and the problem is not usually that they're unteachable.

It may sound harsh, but I never give pity to these kids. I fully expect them to make the best effort they can, and accept help when it is needed. Because in the end, the only one who can help them make more of themselves is themselves.

In other words, everyone struggles with some issue in their lives. Coddling and telling them that "it's okay, you don't have to try" only lowers their self-esteem and discourages them from overcoming their issues. But if you give 'em a good swift kick in the rear and say "Life is tough. Get off your butt and make the best of it," then you will build up their self-esteem as they accomplish things.

Remember, you don't want to emulate the deadbeat on the street who's asking for a handout. You want to emulate the guy who overcame his crippling disability to become a champion olympian, or the woman who overcame her deafness to become an orator. These are people who are worth emulating.

And for what it's worth, free word processors with spell checkers do exist. So if he has a computer (which he obviously does), then there is little excuse for not making the effort to compensate for his disability.

I'm not saying that he doesn't have to try.
I'm not showing pity either.
All I'm saying is that he met with aggresiveness just a bit too soon, so it made him prone to react aggresively, and most of all, feel rejected. It's understandable. Perhaps if the subject had been approached differently he would have reacted differently. The ever so unpolite "I can't understand a word you're saying. Come back when you type it right" would have been better.

And for the wordprocessor thing, I know what you mean, but at least Spanish wordprocessors really suck. I stopped using them as they introduced mistakes rather than correct them. Just a random comment that gets triggered every time someone mentions spellchecking wordprocessors.

EDIT: Oh, and I wanted to add this. Unteachability is not usually an attribute of the person, but more an environmental issue. Most unteachables I know are so because speaking/writing right is not important in their environmnet. Sometimes it is detrimental (in a neighbourhood where everyone takes one way, even when that way is wrong, if you talk different you're an outcast). Perhaps meeting such aggresiveness will force him into spelling right (since now it's required in order to comunicate his ideas). Who knows. Only time will tell.

He may very well have a condition that makes it harder for him to spell correctly, but deal with it. Chris is absolutely correct about him being lazy. He knows he has this condition, and he knows that his spelling will not always be correct, but he chooses to do nothing about it, as is proven by his repeated misspelling. Which is why I am being an ass about it. For example, if you suddenly realized that every time you spelled the word "chicken", you spelled it wrong, wouldn't you then be more careful and pay more attention the next time you need to spell that word? Even in the case of dislexia where the words LOOK correct when they are wrong, having the keyboard in front of you should eliminate that problem, look at the KEYS you are hitting, not the screen. As AKAImBatman said, there are word processors readily available and there is no excuse for errors at the level that he is making.

i find it interesting that in some of his other posts, he was typing pretty well, and pretty understandable as well, in fact i'd say he was comletely coherent in his typing and everything else. maybe he was on drugs or drunk the day he wrote the statement that confused the world?

who knows....guess it doesn't much matter now.

While the post upyr1's original error-ridden post was awful, I can't in good conscious as a moderator allow everyone to rag on him for it.

If you can't understand his posts, ask him for clarification or ignore him. The idea that a little proper grammar goes a long way is one that should certainly be taken to heart - but let him learn the hard way that his ideas will be better respected when well expressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back