• Green for fighters, full color for capships

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eder

Mr. Standoff
So how about them Comm videos, eh?

Would you guys like them green, WC1/2/3 style, in color, WC4/P style, or a mix of both?

(This poll isn't getting stuck, since the decision on this issue has to be taken soon.)

--Eder

I didn't like the green vids from WC1 and WC2.The WC3 was too dark.

The Vids started to get real good from WC4 on up to SO.So I voted for Full color.

Green all the way. That's the way it is in WC1-3, and this takes place in the same time period, so it ought to be green too. Besides, green looks great.

green all the way. that's what it was during the war, and since this takes place during the war, it should be the same

Since all the ships we fly in are pre WC3 I would say green and keep the color for the cap ships. Now if you were to have any of the newer ships that had color in them then I would have a mix, green for the old ships and color for the new ships.

My 2cents

Actually, the BW blue comms are much, much better.

The Black Lance red comms are cool, too.

I would have say all green, but after seeing the quality of Lieutenant Ewan Freyers's rendering on Standoff's site, I changed my mind to green for ships, color for capship. It would be a shame to mask this great job !

Could be explained by saying that the ship's and most old capships have monochrome cameras, but not the capships on witch we land on because they got new ones, something like that.

Yes, an excuse like that is a lot like what I have in mind in case we really end up using full color animations for capships (great minds think alike, I guess :p).

That would be useful at least in the Lionheart's case, since it is supposed to be a beefed up Gilgamesh, after all.

--Eder

I think we have a chance here of fulfilling one of our biggest dreams: to pilot in the WC1/WC2 era in a much more realistic engine. However, we gotta stick with some of the cool technology limitations of that time, and the green comms are one of them. Green all the way!

(And besides, I suppose it´s going to be good for reducing the size of the game.)

As far as I know, green comms don't reduce the size the game at all... but they're still neat ;).

I have to say green only too, but if colour is necessary, then I say leave to capships.

I disagree with the monochrome/colour camara idea. IMHO, it would be the transmission mechanism which would dictate how much data can be transferred. Of course, full colour videos would take more data than monochrome.

Realistically, I don't see the point for comm videos at all - to minimise possibility for jamming/interruptions/etc data transfer should be kept to a minimum. This is what is done in real life in everyday telephone communications (land lines and mobiles).

If you remember, the Rebel comms in Star Wars Special Edition were more heavily garbled when the speaker was off camera than in the original. This would be due to the incredible compression which would be used to keep data transfer to a minimum. The X-Wing novels mention a second advantage to minimising potential for jamming in that Rebel pilots were much less likely to be identified through voice analysis. Imperials used better quality comm gear of course.

Anyway, I'm rambling. My point is that data transfer should be kept to a minimum. Full colour videos are a luxury which seems rather extravagant and unnecessary to me, but because this is a game and not real life, I can understand if full colour is used.

This poll is now closed. Green only comm videos lost, but we are going to use Green only comm videos anyway, because we're a lot like Stalin :cool:

--Eder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back