Come on guys be honest with me here...

Naféasonto

Swabbie
Banned
Guys,

Honestly this game looks like a 2D space shooter. You are really happy what they are turning Wing Commander into? I would of loved a new Wing Commander game as the next guy, but this one doesn't look so good at all. It's completely 2D plane, what is that??? I mean even Wing Commander 1 back in 1990 was 3D? What are they doing???

You are really happy what they are turning Wing Commander into?

Abso-fuckin-lutely.

Not only is Arena a nostalgia fest for us "old hands" (re: the fanbase) its also the pitch-perfect way to get new people interested in the series. 16 player Xbox Live games? Come on - who *doesn't* want that?

I would of loved a new Wing Commander game as the next guy, but this one doesn't look so good at all.

Well, people we know and trust have played a beta and they said nothing but the best things about it. Not to mention that EA is very, very interested in our fanbase, considering its been not only alive but growing since day one. Just wait till you try the game yourself...

Why did you start this thread *and* post the same thing to another thread? Don't do that.

Anyhow, Just because Arena is an X box live arcade game doesn't mean that it's the direction they intend to take every other Wing Commander game in the future. It was very specifically designed for that platform.

I suggest you read *all* the arena articles and watch all the previews. Sure most WC fans really want a big huge epic game akin to WC 2 and 3, and arena is just a small step in getting there. No matter what peoples hang-ups are, everyone who has actually played the game admits it's fun on it's own merits. I'd go on, but for now please also take the time to read through the other Arena threads here.

They aren't turning WC into anything. This is merely expanding the franchise in a new direction and I think it's fucking great as well.

How is the world can you not be happy they're making a new Wing Commander game? Even if you don't have an XBox, you have to see that one new WC game today is better than no new WC games. I don't understand the "be honest" with me thing. Why would there be some conspiracy to pretend to be excited? Parts of Arena are unique and different, and parts of the game are amazingly similar to previous titles. The game has been painstakingly researched to be consistent with preexisting elements of the series, it's revolutionary for the XBox Live Arcade service and it's a lot of fun.

Quit fagging up the Wing Commander Chat Zone with anti-WC bullshit.

Honestly this game looks like a 2D space shooter.
Wing Commander has always been a space shooter, so I guess you have a problem with the "2D." Why? What's wrong with so-called 2D graphics? Some of the best-ever games have been "2D." And in any case, Wing Commander Arena is obviously a fully-3D game, as anyone, even those of your lowly intellectual caliber can plainly see.

You are really happy what they are turning Wing Commander into?
What is this even supposed to mean? "Turning it into" what, exactly?

I would of loved a new Wing Commander game as the next guy, but this one doesn't look so good at all.
And I would have loved if you'd bothered forming your sentences well. The fact is this is the new Wing Commander game, and it looks very fun indeed. The only conclusion I can draw here, is that you don't know what you're talking about. Either you've never played a game on Xbox Live and have no concept of how truly different it is from traditional multiplayer experiences and why that makes it much more fun, or you haven't actually been paying attention to the stream of news about Arena enough to see what's so achingly obvious to most other people. Perhaps you haven't spent enough time forming your own thoughts and just let Kotaku build your opinions for you, from catch phrases.

It's completely 2D plane, what is that???
Perhaps you don't understand the nature of a plane - that's what they are. But really, what are you getting at, here? The many gameplay videos have demonstrated vertical movement, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Perhaps you're upset that it's not completely free-flight. Maybe you should think about that for a minute. What happens when in a multiplayer game you're given a completely empty space with no real restrictions on your freedom of movement (such as needing to maintain a minimum airspeed)? Every dogfight degenerates into an endless donut that isn't any fun at all. Arena's method is more than clever.

I mean even Wing Commander 1 back in 1990 was 3D?
You don't even know the first thing about what you're saying. Anyway, why is it so important to your fragile little ego that every WC game fit your fucked-up criteria for what is "3D"? Near as I can figure there's no legitimate reason, because a game is either fun or it isn't, entirely separate from whether it's "2D" or "3D" so you must personally believe that it degrades you to play a game you for some reason believe is "2D."

Why does it matter to you? Why is your system of measure so wrapped up in a silly little checklist of features? This constant quest for legitimacy is a plague endemic to gamers. Why do we force ourselves to believe that A: our little hobby-like distraction needs to be elevated in our minds and the minds of everyone around us to the level of fine art, and B: there are elements of game design wholly unrelated to the quality of play which are somehow beneath use in any truly respectable software?

I see it everywhere. Every game must meet some inane checklist of things that have no bearing on whether it's even the slightest bit of fun.

I say it too much, but I'll continue to say it: forgive me, I'm not too cool to have fun.

What are they doing???
They're making another Wing Commander - fucking finally - and if you can't appreciate that, maybe this is the wrong forum for you.

Even when I don't have an Xbox and won't be able to play WC Arena, I think this is the best thing that could happen to Wing Commander, and shows that the game is alive and working, with a solid fan base that is only increasing every week as we can see in the forum...

2-D vs. 3-D? Who cares? It's Wing Commander and I'll drink to that... And I'm sure most of the people here will join me

Guys,

Honestly this game looks like a 2D space shooter. You are really happy what they are turning Wing Commander into? I would of loved a new Wing Commander game as the next guy, but this one doesn't look so good at all. It's completely 2D plane, what is that??? I mean even Wing Commander 1 back in 1990 was 3D? What are they doing???

I am pleasantly excited about Arena for various reasons:

First because it's a new official Wing Commander game, thus proving that the franchise is not dead.

Second because I do like playing 2D shooters. I do have little time to play full-blown games at the moment and playing some nice shooter game for half an hour was always a favourite of mine. And now I can do it with my most beloved franchise, so what's not to like? And Arena just looks fantastic. (it might even be a too complex for the quick and dirty experience). Don't get me wrong, the style Arena is in, is neither what I hoped for nor what I thought about. I am no console player and not an online-multiplayer person. But I consider Arena to be an exotic title in the WC series, only adding to its variety (like Academy and Armada) and giving me a new gaming experience once in a while. Which is great!

Third, and I only realized it after reading lots of the materials given out, it's the sheer attention to detail given to this title, this dedicated love (if I may say so) that went into its production. With all the extra informations, the nods to previous games - the Arena team just plainy won my heart by honouring WC that much.

Sounds like someone missed my editorial: https://www.wcnews.com/articles/art60.shtml

I missed the principle about the guns (one button for each type of gun) the first time, I think it's great! Alternating gun fire is now really easy. I almost never bothered to use anything but full guns because switching through with "g" seemed to take too much time to be worth it but now it's really easy. Shoot the the lasers for long range and once the enemy is near just press the second button for additional firepower. It adds a lot to the possibilities I think, gun energy managing is very feasible now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im excited about them bringing it back and proud to be a member of a site that I am sure has had a bit to do with the renewed interest. Yes I will drink to that!

They're making another Wing Commander - fucking finally - and if you can't appreciate that, maybe this is the wrong forum for you.

You can tell someone is from Connecticut when they end a post with something like that.

Can someone help me?
I still, and yes this is hard to believe, have a complete and utter lack of comprehension regarding the following question:
How can any self-respecting Wingnut not be happy that EA is finally resurrecting the franchise?

If anyone can answer this question, please feel free to respond here or through the 360.
If an answer cannot be provided within 48 hours, I may face a complete logic failure, I'm bordering on dividing by zero mentally...

Unfortunately, it isn't an issue to which logic can be applied, so trying to do so will wind up with a bluescreened brain. There's nothing logical or rational about "if I can't have it my way, I don't want it at all!"... as any 3 year old throwing a temper tantrum amply demonstrates. :p

I've been walking on Cloud 9 since I found out the news about Wing Commander Arena. There are only two negatives I have to say about the situation:

1) I'm not a fan of consoles, but it means I will have to buy a 360. ;)

2) The only negative thing I have to say about the game itself is that I'd have rather they made 18 different fighters, than six fighters, each with three different versions.

Apart from that... I can't wait. :D

2) The only negative thing I have to say about the game itself is that I'd have rather they made 18 different fighters, than six fighters, each with three different versions.

While I agree with this as a fan, I don't from a design standpoint. Think of Privateer 2 (18) or FreeLancer (30? more?) - there's a threshold where you can have so many different ships that they all blend together and no one cares about comparing them. This seems like a happy medium... although I'm all for adding more ships in the future :)

(Also, to address the original topic again - it is very, very, very sad that someones first reaction to Wing Commander fans being excited about a Wing Commander game was that they must be *lying*.)

While I agree with this as a fan, I don't from a design standpoint. Think of Privateer 2 (18) or FreeLancer (30? more?) - there's a threshold where you can have so many different ships that they all blend together and no one cares about comparing them. This seems like a happy medium... although I'm all for adding more ships in the future :)

Yeah, I just think three main types is a bit sparse for each side. Hopefully, they're planning to introduce another for each side, in the future.

I guess it's also partly because I never really liked the Arrow or Darket, I'm afraid. The Rapier and Broadsword are excellent choices, the iconic Dralthi goes without saying and the Paktahn I'm fairly indifferent about.

But I'd have rather seen a Piranha and Salthi for the light fighters, personally.

That said, I usually favour heavier fighters anyway - I reckon I'll spend most of my time in a Rapier or Broadsword. :)

(Also, to address the original topic again - it is very, very, very sad that someones first reaction to Wing Commander fans being excited about a Wing Commander game was that they must be *lying*.)

It's sad and hilarious at the same time.

Well, it does seem like there's a class of fighters - heavy - missing... and the Gaia office photos had a Centurion and a Gothri among the sketches...

That's just speculation, of course - it might have been something dropped a long time ago... or maybe they show up in the background. Still, I can't help but hope EA offers additional content downloads for this game...

I can admit to not really being excited about Arena. I don't have, and do not plan to get an X-box 360, and have never been a big fan of this style of game anyway.

With that being said, I do not see how it harms the community. Much like others on this board, I hope that it could lead to a more traditional WC game in the future, as well as generate new fan interest in the older games, and the mods being released by the community.

Even if the game is not great, it certainly will not damage the WC community any more than if there were no new games at all.

I m exited as all hell. Yes I would rather have had a full new game and everything but this is the first step to this. If it does well maybe new ones will come. Also it does look fun on its own. Plus its only like 10 bucks so its not that big of a deal.

I think a lot of people's hearts and minds will go through a moment of transition once the Arena manual/fiction is released.

Back