Come And Join Us (June 28, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The late addition of New Constantinople to our last poll turned out to be quite popular, but Perry Naval Base came out on top. Every option had its fans, and no choice completely bombed out. Maybe you can keep a Blackmane down though.

What's your favorite space station?

Axius: 6.44%

Blackmane: 10.12%

Caernarvon: 12.58%

Ella: 6.60%

K'tithrak Mang: 15.64%

Pegasus: 5.21%

Perry: 24.54%

New Constantinople: 18.87%

Total Votes: 1304

Our next poll asks what sort of thing would be most likely to get you out of your house or across the planet to a Wing Commander fan gathering. If it's just money holding you back from attending DragonCon each year, the first option is for you. The other choices were popular requests in our old convention survey.

--
Original update published on June 28, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted for "meeting fellow fans" because that's the biggest reason I want to go to Dragoncon. The convention itself would probably just be a side attraction really. I'm not sure I understand the money option? Is it saying, "I want to go to Dragoncon because I have the money to do so" ?

It's basically a reverse way of saying "I don't go to Dragoncon because I can't afford it" - it's the option for people who would like to go, but don't have the money for it.

I guess if there was a new game announcement, I'd just stay at home and wait to buy the game. But if I knew a bunch of other WC fans were going to meet somewhere to celebrate such an event, that could definately get me on a plane.

I don't understand that. What does that change? Wing Commander fans are Wing Commander fans, whether they're celebrating old Wing Commander games or new.

You don't think getting together a bunch of people to celebrate the release of a new game would be any more festive than getting together to celebrate the ones already out? It'd still be fun, you're right. I just think for me, if it was a gathering to celebrate the release of a new game, I'd be willing to make all the sacrifices necassary to show up to that.

At any rate, I'd still try and go to meet other WC fans if possible. I suggest something near the western U.S. coast. Then I'd just drive there.

Shipgate said:
You don't think getting together a bunch of people to celebrate the release of a new game

We're not talking about a new game. The poll and this thread refers to a new game *announcement*.

Shipgate said:
would be any more festive than getting together to celebrate the ones already out? It'd still be fun, you're right. I just think for me, if it was a gathering to celebrate the release of a new game, I'd be willing to make all the sacrifices necassary to show up to that.

Like you said in the last post, you're not going to play it there, you're going to play it at home later. I've been on half a dozen 2000+ mile Wing Commander related trips, and the very best part for me is meeting with fellow fans. A new game would be great, but on a completely different level. The best part about flying around the world is celebrating Wing Commander with your friends. The form that celebration takes is secondary. Have you ever played multiplayer Armada or Prophecy Advance? Have you ever tried the four player variant of the Wing Commander CCG? Have you ever marched up and down the street dressed as a full squadron of Wing Commander pilots? If the answer is no, all these experiences are just as new and exciting as sitting around a new game box.

Shipgate said:
At any rate, I'd still try and go to meet other WC fans if possible. I suggest something near the western U.S. coast. Then I'd just drive there.

Let me know when and where you decide to host it.

I do understand what you're saying. I'm just not good at expressing what I'm trying to say. I suppose all I meant was it's hard for me to travel for lots of reasons but if everyone was gathering to celebrate a new WC game (and I did mean to say game announcement), such an event would really compel me to do my best to travel. While I think it would be really fun to meet other fans in any event, a person like me might need something really specific (such as the announcement of a new game) to make me get over my fear of travelling and meet up with everyone.

As for hosting something myself, I'd love to except I'm not sure what I'd throw together except maybe some really good barbecue.

Back