Collection of short stories

You guys need to square your shit away. It doesn't matter how many stories you add, if they end up to be total crap then you are fucked from the beginning. First impression sets perception, and perception is everything.

For example: SqUaD fOxHoUnD. I'm a graduate from Marine Corps Officer Candidate School in Quantico before I switched to the Navy, so I know a bit about military procedure.

Among my hits: No grammar, no attention to detail, no knowledge of military procedure. (For example: You never ever call an NCO 'sir', they take it as a personal insult).

A while back, I wrote a short story to my girlfriend about one of my military experiences. I think I'll modify it and post it later on to show you guys what I'm talking about.

Psych I was on the impression that millitary proceduers CHANGE over time. Gramar may not be my forte', but I have written other storys in the past. People DO enjoy them. AND if I edited it (alot) with "correct" millitary procerduers, added more detail, improve the grammer. WOULD it seem interesting to you?

Right now you can't even get your spelling correct on your last reply, how can I trust you to write a whole story without error?

One of the biggest turnoffs of any fan fiction is obvious lack of grammar and spelling. It starts off with a bad impression that's most likely to last. First Impression Sets Perception, and Perception is Everything.

How about this... I right a story. Edit it. Then post it. Squad Foxhound the only story that has not had a whole lot of editting yet. I have been working on my gaembook alot. Nothing is perfect either. In a grammer book a had once, had grammer errors.

QuailPilot said:
How about this... I right a story. Edit it. Then post it. Squad Foxhound the only story that has not had a whole lot of editting yet. I have been working on my gaembook alot. Nothing is perfect either. In a grammer book a had once, had grammer errors.

Don't make excuses. Just take the constructive criticism to heart. That gibberish is almost... Um, is unreadable.

Sort of QuailPilot... Bold type indicates edits said:
How about this... Next time I write a story I'll edit it first and then post it. Squad Foxhound is the only story of mine that has not had a whole lot of editing yet because I have been working on my gamebook alot.

Besides, nothing is perfect. I once had a grammar book that had grammar errors in it.

AD said:
Don't make excuses. Just take the constructive criticism to heart. That gibberish is almost... Um, is unreadable.

(Sigh)... Point accepted. I can develope a great story. My down fall happens to be grammar.

I would say one thing. Let the people write their fan fiction, no matter how many errors they grammer, spelling or incorrect information. The purpose is to allow people to write a fan fiction and get feedback from others. Hopefully this would help them improve their fan fiction writing ability. I for one am not perfect in writing my fan fiction. From a non-english speaking background, I write when I hear and think. It aint perfect but I make the effort of trying.
QauilPilot, you write you fan fiction and let others read it and give you some pointers. Plywood Fiend was kind enough to give some pointers to my 2628 fan fiction.
If you have a look at my fan fiction at the moment '2628-An officers beginning,' you can see it aint the perfect fiction but it is attempt that I am proud of.

Dahan said:
I would say one thing. Let the people write their fan fiction, no matter how many errors they grammer, spelling or incorrect information.

No one is asking anyone to be perfect. I think its great that you and others have something you would like to share. But no one will respect laziness. Certainly some contributers will be limited to their ability in the language of choice... (heres a thought: a seperate section for non-english fiction)

Since you're posting on a PC, why not write the story in a word processor first. Then you can run spell check (word also has a grammar check) and then paste it into the forum or where ever else your posting it. Alternatively you could write it in the reply window, but double check words you're unsure of in the word processor. Even if english isnt your first language this would catch a lot of the simple mistakes. Even if your word processors dictionary isnt set to english, you should be able to switch it to english temporarily.

Dahan said:
I would say one thing. Let the people write their fan fiction, no matter how many errors they grammer, spelling or incorrect information. The purpose is to allow people to write a fan fiction and get feedback from others.

Some more stupid B.S. about preaching tolerance for grammar and editing diversity

Sorry but Been There Done That, and not doing it again. I've been part of a WC fan fiction writing club since the mid 90s and in my teenage years I written quite a bit of fiction myself back, and I'll tell you this from my experience as a former fan fiction editor/coordinator (which btw 'Aplha1-1', one of my many duties was editing and proofreading other people's errors). Guys who write stories with horrible grammar and spelling never get off the ground in terms of popularity.

Every. Single. One.

Take it or leave it, it's your deal. I get paid a steady salary whether you take it or not. Just don't go looking for sympathy from me when (not if) it turns out to be true.

Dahan said:
I would say one thing. Let the people write their fan fiction, no matter how many errors they grammer, spelling or incorrect information. The purpose is to allow people to write a fan fiction and get feedback from others. Hopefully this would help them improve their fan fiction writing ability. I for one am not perfect in writing my fan fiction. From a non-english speaking background, I write when I hear and think. It aint perfect but I make the effort of trying.
QauilPilot, you write you fan fiction and let others read it and give you some pointers. Plywood Fiend was kind enough to give some pointers to my 2628 fan fiction.
If you have a look at my fan fiction at the moment '2628-An officers beginning,' you can see it aint the perfect fiction but it is attempt that I am proud of.

I agree with you.

AD said:
Since you're posting on a PC, why not write the story in a word processor first. Then you can run spell check (word also has a grammar check) and then paste it into the forum or where ever else your posting it. Alternatively you could write it in the reply window, but double check words you're unsure of in the word processor. Even if english isnt your first language this would catch a lot of the simple mistakes. Even if your word processors dictionary isnt set to english, you should be able to switch it to english temporarily.

I am going to this more often.

I'm inclined to agree with Dahan aswell. Although it might be worth putting up a notice asking people to double check their work and make sure that its readable and so forth before they post it. It doesn't neccessarily have to be perfect in terms of grammer down to the last pestiferous appostrophy, it just has to be readable.

We-ell, guys, let's calm down. Before we get anything off the ground here, we should be sure what kind of thing we want to build.

IF it should be the "serious" WC-Repository of fan fiction, archiving everything old as well as creating a platform for new stories, and presenting it to the fans in a good, well-accessible and attractive form - then I'm all on Psych's side. Form is a huge influence for a project like that, and shoddy workmanship is the main killer.

IF this is meant to be a shared writing project, we can go back on form a bit - but then the structure takes over from second part to first. Shared means "You write, and I have to live with the facts you create". If we fall out of continuity here, the whole thing is shot. I second Psych's point of military protocols - it may be of no consequence to the casual reader (or even the storyline), but it annoys WC fans, it makes it hard for participants to contribute, and leads to lots of unwanted ennui.

IF the project should be a loose platform for creating unconnected fanfic of whatever flavor, then matters like form, continuity and mere logic turn into factors of personal style of the writer. Then we don't even need a website - the forum is enough.

In all three cases, we need someone (or more) to watch over it:

The "Serious Repository" needs
- a webmaster to maintain the site
- an editor/proofreader to organize the content, check form, and make sure we don't publish anything offensive.
- a continuity advisor to check if the stories follow the given path of events and details.

The "Shared Writing Project" needs:
- a webmaster to maintain the site
- a continuity advisor to check if the stories follow the given path of events and details.
- an editor to organize the content, and make sure we don't publish anything offensive.

The "Fanfic Forum" needs
- an admin to maintain the board
- lots of nerve

Dahan, Plywood Fiend, as you guys seem to lead the initiative, it may be good to state what you want to do with it, and how you want to do it. If not, people will slack off after a while, and I don't want to see another derelict.
If you have questions or need experience in how to set it up, ask, don't beat around the bush. People here will design you a website if you tell them how it should look like and what it should do, and others will give you lots of advice in how to set up creative wiring platforms (although mine and Psych's may differ).

Wow, "if" seems to be my word of the day.

In light of the recent discussion of the this proposed project. I should say there are many for against the idea of this and people are under decided on its outcome.
So after reading criticalmass notes I asked you read my earlier notes.

One - I am looking for anyone who knows how to create a website and/or maintaining it as I have no experience in a technical area.

Note - I accidently post the first one before I was able to finish what I was suppose to write

Two - Plywood Fiend and I have agreed to act as editor or people to proof read or be part of the fan writing team to help people get started on their fiction.

I also mention earlier that I do not know much about creating website and was looking for any help.
I have no qualms about what psych's comments but do point out in regards in those comments it don't matter if the idea would work or not, the point is that if people can contribute to this project that I would be ever grateful as there are only so few people who would like to see this thing happening but lack the experience.

An idea which just sprung to mind is, (suitibly long dramatic pause) instead of having just unrelated fics or a long running series in which fans contribute to the same story, why not have both?

The website could contain different sections for different fan serieses with however many writers contributing to those, and others for stand alone stories. I doubt it'd make the thing too cluttered and it'd probably mean we'd be able to get more writers for the site.

Back