Cockpits

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
Given the massive voting from people who like full cockpits on this thread, I wonder if something could be done to improve cockpit struts in Standoff so they would look more like a real cockpit.

BTW, happy birthday Eder!!

Bitmapped cockpits would be cool, but I don't think that's possible in the WCP engine. And someone would have one for every resolution available. It would increase the size of the game package. (I personally wouldn't mind I have DSL :p )

IIRC, Eder was hoping to do new cockpit struts, though I don't recall whether he was planning to make them as screen-filling as the original WC1/2 cockpits - and I don't know if that's likely to happen anyway, given that this would inevitably delay the whole project.

Bitmap-based cockpits are probably completely out of the question... again, lots of work involved, and lots of whining, too - although that thread indicates that most people don't feel the need to switch off cockpits, I'm willing to bet that if they had to face Standoff with a permanently visible bitmap cockpit, an awful lot of people would suddenly remember that they liked the on/off switch after all.

Originally posted by Quarto
I'm willing to bet that if they had to face Standoff with a permanently visible bitmap cockpit, an awful lot of people would suddenly remember that they liked the on/off switch after all.

You got a point. Well, I´ll be happy with the improved struts.

Just being able to fly over the Concordia (a "REAL" 987 meters Concordia) in a Sabre again will make me happy for a long time.

Originally posted by Starkey
BTW, happy birthday Eder!!

As for the cockpits, I still plan on making cockpit struts for the ships which will be flyable in the campaign (the simulator-only ships would re-use these same strus), but until now, I haven't managed to make a single strut that looks good. I've tried making one for KW's B5 mod, one for the Sabre, and one for the Morningstar, and neither of them looked like anything recognizable at all.

If I can get them to look good without having to waste too much time on this subject, they'll be in... otherwise we'll just have to make do with the original SO struts, probably retextured.

--Eder

If you decide to use the original struts retextured, will you use bigger textures for them? The original seem to be quite low res.

BTW, Happy Birthday too! :)

I thought the Devastator had bitmapped struts in SO.
I think one of the Kilrathi fighters, and I'm pretty sure one of the Bug ships, had them as well.
So I think bitmapped cockpits are a possibility.

Oh, the original strut textures are very low-res. If I manage to change their texturing coordinates without making the strut disappear (which happened every time I've tried to edit an original strut so far), then I can make them use larger textures...

--Eder

Originally posted by Shaggy
I thought the Devastator had bitmapped struts in SO.
I think one of the Kilrathi fighters, and I'm pretty sure one of the Bug ships, had them as well.
So I think bitmapped cockpits are a possibility.
Nobody ever said otherwise :). Yes, all cockpit struts have textures on them - although in most cases, their textures are just plain grey.

I would have thought the current cockpit view is screen filling enough. I don't play with the cockpit struts any more because my computer is slow - the most effects I have on are all but cockpit struts and camera VDU.

I agree, Wedge, I just thought we could use some background in those HUDs, just to get a better WC1/2 feeling...

What I'd love to do is make renderings of each ship's cockpit, WC1/2/3 style... since I can't do that, the next best thing IMO is the WC4 style clean HUDs. So even if I make some new struts, I'm going to play without them :p

--Eder

Back