Cockpits...

Preacher

Swabbie
Banned
Hey, all.

I have a question: Is there any reason cockpit windscreens for modded fighters can't be "transparent"?... I know it'd be a little more work to do, but think how COOL it'd be! I ain't talking about a fully animated cockpit, where you can see the pilot's head turn to track a target (as in Comanche 3 & several jet combat sims I know of), but just a stationary figure of a pilot at the stick. Replies?...

"Transparent" cockpit windows suck, that's a fact. Been there, tried that. So I'm assuming that you meant "translucent" :p

So, translucent cockpit windows, on the other hand, would really kick ass, and they would kick even more ass if you could give them a different refraction index than the rest of the model (so it would both allow you to see the pilot inside AND reflect lightning like glass!)

However, that's not really up to the modders as much as to the engine programmers. In UE for example, I don't think they could ever do this, given the limitations of the secret ops engine. Vega Strike, Flight Commander, and Jacinta will probably be able to do this, though, as will most engines being written nowadays, at least the 3D accelerated ones.

Alternatively, XWA's method for transparent cockpits could be used too, but unless the programmer really wants to cut down on processing time, there's no reason to do so. I can't really explain what this looks like (it isn't too pretty :(), check http://www.xwaupgrade.com for some examples of what I'm talking about. Personally I think the XWA WCTC guys should do this to their models, at least the flyable ones.

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder
"Transparent" cockpit windows suck, that's a fact. Been there, tried that. So I'm assuming that you meant "translucent" :p

So, translucent cockpit windows, on the other hand, would really kick ass
Vega Strike, Flight Commander, and Jacinta will probably be able to do this, though, as will most engines being written nowadays,

Alternatively, XWA's method for transparent cockpits could be used too...I can't really explain what this looks like (it isn't too pretty :(), check http://www.xwaupgrade.com for some examples of what I'm talking about. Personally I think the XWA WCTC guys should do this to their models, at least the flyable ones.
--Eder

1) Thanx, Eder! (and yes, I guess I did mean translucent).

2) What's the deal w/ Jacinta?...Every time I go to his board, I see that there's been only about 1 response to his posts about it. is this project dead or something?...

3) I'm puzzled why you say it isn't too pretty. I followed the link you gave, and took a look at a couple of X-Wing shots, and it looks pretty darned COOL! (Did I maybe misunderstand you on that point or something?). I can only say two words about it:
ME LIKE!...

Preacher,
it's insanely hard to get work completed or even started when noone volunteers to offer help.

The project is far from dead *looks at second window on taskbar*, but just because there isn't an information release every second day doesn't mean it's not being worked on.

It isn't pretty because if it's transparent you don't see it at all.

Originally posted by Preacher
3) I'm puzzled why you say it isn't too pretty. I followed the link you gave, and took a look at a couple of X-Wing shots, and it looks pretty darned COOL! (Did I maybe misunderstand you on that point or something?). I can only say two words about it:
ME LIKE!...

Sorry, I was being stupid. Those X-Wings completely rule, and the textures rule even more! (the guy who made them was the guy who taught me to make textures in the first place, I just wish he had time to give me some extra classes :() Anyway, the ugly method I was referring to was in some other X-Wing game, XvT I think... or maybe XWA running on software..... Aw, crap, it's been so long I don't remember. Let me just correct my mistake by telling you that what you saw on the X-Wing screenshots are translucent windows, which completely rule :D

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder

Sorry, I was being stupid. ...Let me just correct my mistake by telling you that what you saw on the X-Wing screenshots are translucent windows, which completely rule :D

--Eder

Thx 4 the clarification...:)

w00t! thanx for mentioning XWAU!! i haven't beaten XWA yet, and now im gonna enjoy it a whole lot more! those models are amazing!

Back