cockpits...

Ladiesman^

Spaceman
I don't really know what kinds of replies to expect here, but i'm VERY dissapointed with space sims nowadays. Where have the cockpits gone?! Some games just decide to get rid of it completly, and just have a hud, while others have the lines of the hatch. I miss the good old days of looking at the instruments in the cockpit, with stuff in different locations in different craft. The Early X-Wing series (X-Wing, TIE Fighter) were my favorite for cockpits, because every craft had a different configuration. Most of the ships in WC had everything pretty much in the same place, but alot of the cockpits looked pretty damn cool. The Longbow was my favorite.

Well, If anyone has a reason WHY they do this anymore, *bad Seinfeld voice* I'd like to know!

Starlancer had the greatest cockpits I ever saw. They reminded me the cockpits from WC1 and 2.

i remember a game called Inca II, it had cockpit that would make you drool, you could really look around in them and stuff. (was 6 years ago or something so don't remeber everthing but at that time it was prty cool)

Mechwarrior III (still waiting for IV) have damn good cockpits, plus there are virtual and the little lights blink.

blinking lights are good, i also loved that little handle in the X-wing cockpit that locks the wings together.

Well - LucasArts has a good hand for cockpits :)

I always had a heart for the SWotL - cockpits.
(Although not a SpaceSim)
At least they hold on with the idea (XWA - still some cockpits - although less complex).

Respectfully,
Eleazar

Moving parts are always good. The hand in WC was incredible. I loved it! The cockpit from the ....ahh...forgot the name...Taurus(???) (the first ship in Privateer, can't beleive I forgot it!) Well, anyway, that had a cool cockpit. I liked the keyboard it it.

Perhaps a game where there was an option to enable/disable cockpits would make everyone happy... :)

But then again someone has to work on cockpit design, and THAT costs money... :(

Ah, but that's already happened. KS lets you remove cockpits, I belive Armada lets you do it, as well as the original WC3. And of the newer space sims Starlancer lets you do that.

Mmmmmh, yeah Earthworm, but those are old games...

Look at what Ladiesman^ said:

(...) I'm VERY dissapointed with space sims nowadays (...)

I guess he's complaining that these options aren't avalilable anymore... :)

Starlancer isn't old though...:) And Freelancer will have cockpits, and we all know that game is far away in the future.:)

Yeah... :(

Maybe by the time of our first encounter with the Kilrathi, it'll be out for sale... :D

I think Prophecy did cockpits well. They gave you the impression of cockpits, but except for the Devastator really, they didnt obscure the view at all.

WC4 had the ugliest HUD I ever saw, I was really shocked. WC3 had nice cocpits but they took too much of the viewport. MW3 cockpits rock, that's true. But Dragon, if you wait for MW4 prepare for disappointment. The controls really suck!

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-11-2001 at 08:25]

Everyone loves the look of the cockpit, but no one ever actually leaves them on. Chris Roberts decided that this mean they should do WCIV without any cockpits -- but that wasn't right... a lot of people complained.

Since then, they effort has been to make the cockpits less static and less space-filling (Prophecy, SL, etc)

Yeah, the WCP and Starlancer cockpits look okay, but some controls/blinking lights should be shown. At least a joystick in WCP. But they are far better than the WC4 HUD.
And in Armada I always left the cockpit on because they looked nice, especially the Kilrathi cokcpits.

I don't think i've ever turned off cockpits. They add that extra touch of realism. Really, I wouldn't be too dissapointed if the next WC game (I think positivly) had cockpits like in X-Wing Alliance. you could still see some controls and such, but there wasn't much there. The coolest thing about those cockpits is looking around in them. I'd love to take a look in the back of a Longbow or a Wasp.

Also, sort of on topic, I think that when a craft calls for 2 people, there should be two people in the craft. Like if it has a rear turret, there's an AI person in there. They would control that rear turret. I think that would be pretty cool too.

Ack, another point on my apparent love for XWA, I like the way they did turrets. That was really cool because you could see the gun moving with your control on the outside. That was one of my favorite features of that game.

Ok...i'm done now..

Back