CIC XBOX 360 owners

Hey All...

Since the announcement of WC: Arena, I've gotten interested in getting a 360 (but I need to study the price and think about it).

What games do wingnuts play on the XBL service? I'd be interested in online gaming, but I'd prefer to do it with a crowd of folks I share interests with...though I've never really tried it beyond one experience...

That being Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight on the LucasGames service...
something about being chased around by 12yo's who just wanted to lightsaber battle to death was less than illuminating... I recall one where I was playing in some space station and this kid kept following me around. After I sabered him to death for the 10th time - including one where, after respawning he got lost..took a wrong turn and I cut him down from behind after seeing him run past (heh) - he got pissed and pulled out his concussion rifle... he got one shot in before I force-pulled the concussion rifle out of his hands... then he pulled his repeater...and I pulled that out of his hands... it was almost comical. That was about it.

As I said..I've not REALLY tried it and this is the first time I see something where I'd be intrigued to give it a try. What games do you all play on line as a crowd?

Marble Blast Ultra ftw. The only Arcade title out their right now that really feels like some effort was put into it rather than just "Here's our engine, have fun!"

There are a few others that have some decent gameplay actually, RoboBlitz and Cloning Clyde, but they're not that fun from what I've heard. MBU is...a blast. xD

Highly recommended. I don't know if anyone else here plays it though.

EDIT: Oh, hey, look at that, you weren't only referring to Xbox Live Arcade. Whoops.

Well, off the arcade, I've been playing a good deal of Gears of War online recently, but I doubt that would appeal to most of this crowd.

Gears of War, Crackdown, Halo 2 and Perfect Dark Zero (for all its bad press it had the most diverse set of multiplayer modes of any FPS I've ever played). I used to play a fair amount of Burnout Revenge online but I've since sold that. I'd love to play Prey online but every time I do its too laaaaaggy

Heavy Weapon is a fun arcade game. It's a bit like Tyrian, only with a tank. The Live service drops you in an ongoing game with three other players. You respawn as long as at least one player is alive. The single player campaign is fun too.

Gears of War will come up a lot in this thread. You can play through the single player campaign with another player. Chris tells me it's a lot of fun to play that way. I haven't had a chance to try it since I only recently got an Xbox 360.

The staff plays a lot of Uno and Tom Clancy games. I don't like the tactical stuff like Rainbow, but Ghost Recon (GRAW) is a fun shooter. GRAW2 comes out next month, and most of the staff will get that. Worms is another title we're all looking forward to playing online.

Since the announcement of WC: Arena, I've gotten interested in getting a 360

I was where you are now a mere three weeks ago...

I bought the 360 on something of a whim and don't regret it one bit. Yes, it *is* an investment, but given the broadband capabilities of it, I think it's completely worth while. Ive had tons of fun playing Call Of Duty 2 on multiplayer and playing long games of Uno with the CIC folks.

After you buy the system, you have to buy a X-Box Live Gold Account, which is $50 a year. Yes, that seems like a lot at first - but you can get a package deal that has the account, a webcam and cards to redeem some fun games like Uno for about $65.

Do you have a network in your house? Is it hardline or WiFi? Either way, your 360 can connect to the Live Network and there you can download free game demos, user icons, tv shows or lots of other fun stuff. (You can also stream media from your home computer using Zune. Its a little tricky to set-up but I got it to work)

As of now, I really enjoy my 360 and hope to play many games with the folks here!

I HAVE a router, but don't use it presently. trying to route the cables would be interesting... it's a wireless -g router, but we get TERRIBLE signal strength

It's either because: A) the direct LOS between the living room/dining room with the TV and laptop passes through the electric hot water heater and the breaker box for the apartment or B) because there are like FIVE other wireless networks in our apt building!

I bought my 360 last christmas all my friends said I had to get one. Since I had a 20% discount I sprung alittle extra cash for the premium system which included a game. Unfortunatly it was moto GP, since it was the last xbox there on the last day I could use my discount I had to get it. I bought 2 games since then, Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas.

Gears is to grey for me but Ive had abit of fun on Rainbow. Unfortunatly I find it hard to spend 60 dollars on a game and get so little entertainment out of it. Ive kept my old Xbox and still game on that often as it has the only console game worth playing on live (operation flashpoint). (Yeah I know that you prob never heard of flashpoint I was once like that too but its never to late to learn. Think battlefield 2 but fun its more of a simulation unfortunatly its not backwards compatible yet.)

Ive also downloaded the doom arcade and have had fun playing that with friends. They do have some games that look pretty good on the horizon. Mercenaries 2 will be coming out with a coop mode included I believe. Of course the Medal of honor games are fun (even though I don't own them yet). The main reason I bought the system was the hope that one day I would get Armed Assualt (more advanced version of operation flashpoint) on the 360. But that looks like its a long way off fortunatly a new wing commander game will make the system worth the purchase.

I do enjoy the console more so than gaming on the PC as its so much easier to get started. You don't have to rig or upgrade your console to play the latest and greatest games. I loved PC gaming but I don't want to have buy a new computer everytime a game comes out.

I HAVE a router, but don't use it presently. trying to route the cables would be interesting... it's a wireless -g router, but we get TERRIBLE signal strength

It's either because: A) the direct LOS between the living room/dining room with the TV and laptop passes through the electric hot water heater and the breaker box for the apartment or B) because there are like FIVE other wireless networks in our apt building!

I'm not going to actually recomend the process, but some linksys wireless routers actually run on a wierd version of linux that can be flashed with modified versions available on the net. Apparently the things aren't natively set to use anywhere near their potential signal stregth. This may be true for other brands as well.

Youll have to make sure you know what model number you have and whatnot first though.

I do love my 360! With a few weird exceptions (ER: The Game), I'd pretty much stopped doing any new PC gaming at all in the last few years... but the ease of the thing combined with the Achievement/GamerCard system keeps me enjoying even games I wasn't necessarily interested in on the '360.

... which leads me to my point -- if you can see which games I've played in my profile, and I'm happy to answer questions about any of them that you're interested in.

As I said..I've not REALLY tried it and this is the first time I see something where I'd be intrigued to give it a try. What games do you all play on line as a crowd?

You might need to make a (free) XBox Live account yourself, but then you can view what everyone plays by looking up their XBox Live account online. You might be able to just do this through the GamerCard avatars we have in this forum too. In addition to all the games mentioned so far, a bunch of us recently got BattleStations Midway and will probably try that out soon. I'm personally a fan of the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors (Empires) games, so I'll be getting the next one in that series next week. Ghost Recon AW2 comes out the week after that. Worms for XBox Live Arcade should also be due out shortly. I'll also probably be going with the 360 version of Command & Conquer 3 in May.

After you buy the system, you have to buy a X-Box Live Gold Account, which is $50 a year. Yes, that seems like a lot at first - but you can get a package deal that has the account, a webcam and cards to redeem some fun games like Uno for about $65.

Yes, this is a very good deal. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GT4MQI/wingcommander-20 These are normally $80, but Amazon has had this $65 sale a couple times now. Normally a year of XBox Live is $50, but for just $65, you get that year plus a couple free XBox Live Arcade games (including Uno which is normally $10) and the XBox 360 Camera (which is $40 separately). The camera is used to send video feeds to your friends in games like Uno or C&C3, and you can also use it as a PC webcam.

I'd love to buy a 360 just to play this game (and Halo 3, Halo Wars and Tiberium Wars as well), but the only thing about this is about my funds and geographically location (playing XBox Live Arcade, in Indonesia, would be somewhat, improbable)

So this put me in an uncomfortable position regarding this new game.

Apart from the location issue, I'm in the same boat. If they only distribute this to consoles, it would be bittersweet and, quite frankly, I would be dissapointed. But despite that, I'm still excited about the game. For example, I just finished looking at the new movies this morning...even though the game may not make it to my gaming medium!

Given the size limitations of XBox Live Arcade and the design of Gaia's previous game, "Street Trace: NYC", the format and style of the game makes sense, and it looks like it should stand on its own merits. I'd like a more-traditional game, but maybe that'll come later. Still, I have to believe that EA is clamoring to have this ported to PC through "Live for Windows" for multiple reasons:

1) If EA is seriously considering to follow up this game with a more "traditional" WC game, they've got to determine if there's a market for such a product. Someone (I think LOAF) indicated earlier that there have been several attempts to follow up WC:p with another game (some traditional, some not), but they were eventually shelved due to EA not wanting to risk such a large expenditure. If EA wants to gauge the market a traditional game, I think they would need to make this spinoff available to the market which made such games popular back in the 90s, for, as LOAF put it on another thread, "we represent several thousand people...only a small minority of whom have XBoxes."
2) I imagine there are numerous households where parents refuse to get children consoles because they worry that it'll interfere with their studies. But a lot of these households have PCs; families need them to for non-gaming tasks and surfing the Internet. If you don't make XBLA available on PCs, you're not able to tap that market.
3) EA's willingness to "bend over backwards" for its fans, as someone put it. If such a resolve is actually true, I can't imagine they wouldn't at least consider porting it to the medium upon which most of franchise is based.

I've got a few more reasons, but I've ranted enough here. If someone out there from EA wants to hear more (or better yet, beta testing), I'm right down the road from Redwood City.

I'd love to buy a 360 just to play this game (and Halo 3, Halo Wars and Tiberium Wars as well), but the only thing about this is about my funds and geographically location (playing XBox Live Arcade, in Indonesia, would be somewhat, improbable)

So this put me in an uncomfortable position regarding this new game.

Is there actually something about your internet connection that gives you trouble when connecting to other places? If you have high latency or packet loss, that could be an issue from anywhere. However, if you have a decent connection, distance doesn't matter. I often host games on the US West Coast with ace and LOAF somewhere on the East Coast, Hades out in England, and Kris out in Belgium, and everything's nice and smooth.

Funny you should bring up Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, for that is the game that caused me to give up on online gaming (and gaming in general) for quite a few years. I had gotten fed up with the constant cheaters I'd encounter. A friend turned me on to XBOX Live back in 2002, and after meeting some great players, with fantastic attitudes in Clone Wars & Mechassault, I was convinced that the $50/year was well worth it for some positive gaming experiences.
Granted over the years we've gained a few bad apples (and yes unfortunately quite a few foul-mouthed 9-year-olds), but the vast majority of gamers are cool low-key people looking for some fun.
As for gaming, like you, I'm just gonna start rediscovering what the Wingnuts around here are doing and start getting back into the fray of things.
(Personally, I'm looking forward to a few rounds of Uno or Hold'em in the near future, and naturally WCA the 3rd).

Is there actually something about your internet connection that gives you trouble when connecting to other places? If you have high latency or packet loss, that could be an issue from anywhere. However, if you have a decent connection, distance doesn't matter. I often host games on the US West Coast with ace and LOAF somewhere on the East Coast, Hades out in England, and Kris out in Belgium, and everything's nice and smooth.

Well, Indonesia's sole telecommunication services is monopolized by a govt owned company, and this particular company has a way of hiking up the phone tarrifs to outrageous rates.
ADSL connection is recently available, but the price is very outrageously expensive. The cheapest, unlimited ADSL connection would cost somewhere around $90 per month.

Then again, there's the issue of console hardwares here in Indonesia which are mostly modified to accomodate the not-so-genuine games around here.

It's a sad fact.

Funny you should bring up Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, for that is the game that caused me to give up on online gaming (and gaming in general) for quite a few years.

While you're not the first to say this - I found that my online gaming experience with that game was much better once I learned to cut those kids in half! :)

I do have similar issues with people that I find on Counterstrike, though.

Back