CIC Forums Upgrades

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Frequent visitors to the CIC Forums have already noticed that our message boards got a big upgrade this weekend. We first switched over to Xenforo 1.0 back in 2011, and this brings us up to 2.1 (skipping right past 2.0)! There's a long list of basic quality-of-life tweaks that bring the forums in line with modern user interfaces. Graphical elements scale better to high res displays, a variety of post reactions are now available, more types of uploads can be added and the site displays much better on mobile devices. KrisV is still working on several additional features, including a more extended menu of emojis that will be available soon. We're also looking at a handful of neat optional upgrades that could be possible with the new setup - would people be interested in two-factor authentication? Check things out and let us know what you think!

Hurray! Blast fax kudos to Kris for getting this online (... and for knowing how to do that in the first place, I'd be utterly lost.)

The forums have been quiet lately and that's half the lack of movement in the community and half the general death of forums that require any sort of registration in the first place... but I think we can bring them back to some degree!

+1 for TFA

Looks good! I've visited less often these last months...guess I'm too much on the SC forum, even though there isn't that much interesting going on. I'll check in more often again.

As for two-factor authentication: sure, why not.

Last edited:
I'm very, very strongly opposed to two-factor authentication. I utterly hate the security obsession you see everywhere these days. There are sites that require high security - bank accounts and the like. And then there are sites that require minimum security - like the CIC.

It's like a restaurant asking to see my ID before they serve me lunch. It's unnecessary, annoying, and ultimately laughable. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't leave the CIC or anything like that if you introduced two-factor authentication. But I don't see how I or you would gain anything from it, other than a minor additional annoyance.

Now, with regards to the upgraded forums... is there any way to change the way they appear? I don't see any visual settings anywhere, and all this grey-on-grey is just dull.

Now, with regards to the upgraded forums... is there any way to change the way they appear? I don't see any visual settings anywhere, and all this grey-on-grey is just dull.
I do agree, I kinda miss the old style. Now, the upgraded functionalities are more than welcome, but I'm a bit nostalgic already.

We're looking at some options for a new skin that'll feel more like the previous version. Hang on!

I'm very, very strongly opposed to two-factor authentication. I utterly hate the security obsession you see everywhere these days. There are sites that require high security - bank accounts and the like. And then there are sites that require minimum security - like the CIC.

Sold! We'll definitely find a way to make this happen.

It's like a restaurant asking to see my ID before they serve me lunch. It's unnecessary, annoying, and ultimately laughable. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't leave the CIC or anything like that if you introduced two-factor authentication. But I don't see how I or you would gain anything from it, other than a minor additional annoyance.

Many years ago when I was at the help of a small time retail cashier, we required ID for credit card use. I actually caught a guy once. It obviously wasn't his card, so we stalled him long enough for police to arrive. Found him with 20 people's credit cards in his pockets and they hauled him away.

New forum looks good. And thank you for the security upgrades.

Back