Chris Roberts

TheFraix said:
Hmm... the age old question.

"Where is Christopher Roberts now?"

Well...Chris Roberts is now in the film industry believe it OR not!!! THe guy is a bloody producer...and he has been in the production of many films already...one of them is Lord Of War...(anyone seen that film?)...i dont no wot other films his been involved with, but there u go.

...Also i read in a quote that he still intends to produce games, and his main desire would be - should the oppurtunity arise once again - is to get back making Wing Commander.

That's good to know. But you could've just edited your last post to include the additional info, rather than make a new post.

I don't mean to do the jobs of the mods

is there a link to the script with the CGI-merlin thing then?

And what did he look like? he does have mark hammill's voice, would the CGI have had blue hair?

Don said:
Well...Chris Roberts is now in the film industry believe it OR not!!! THe guy is a bloody producer...and he has been in the production of many films already...one of them is Lord Of War...(anyone seen that film?)...i dont no wot other films his been involved with, but there u go.

Rented it last week. Ir was quite good I thought. Entertaining, yet thought-provoking, and in an odd way disturbing (regarding the nature of conflict in the world). Some of the other movies h'es worked of were The Punisher, and The Jacket, both not bad movies either (Theres a few others that I cant think of off the top of my head but theres a full list at IMDB).

Yes there are three movie scripts here at the CIC somewhere(but I can only find the link for the first, very star wars, draft: http://download.wcnews.com/files/documents/WCM_Script-10-27-95_High.zip) There a revised script and a shooting script I believe (which also still has merlin in it I believe)

AD said:
Yes there are three movie scripts here at the CIC somewhere(but I can only find the link for the first, very star wars, draft: http://download.wcnews.com/files/documents/WCM_Script-10-27-95_High.zip) There a revised script and a shooting script I believe (which also still has merlin in it I believe)

I think we have the major drafts of the script.

Oct 27, 1995 http://download.wcnews.com/files/documents/WCM_Script-10-27-95_High.zip
Sept 31, 1997 http://download.wcnews.com/files/documents/WCM_Script-09-21-97_High.zip
Jan 8, 1998 http://download.wcnews.com/files/documents/WCM_Script-01-08-98_High.zip

I would have to agree with the thread starter. I also thought the movie was abysmal. Why? Well I don't know why. It has been a long while since I saw it and it really failed to make any kind of impact on me.

I don't feel like spending time to watch a sucky movie all over again in order to "justify" my point of view. Ok maybe starting a thread bashing the movie without concrete critism is dumb, but he just mentioned it as part of a joke. The point of the thread was not to bash the movie.

So you guys pick up on it and demad an explaination. Seriously, who do you guys think you are. So I guess my post so far is also against the rules?? Really? I know that in the old soviet union speaking your mind could get you in trouble, but this is a discussion forum for gods sake.

ChrisReid said:
I say it's fine to not like the movie if you have measured reasons to back it up.

And quotes like this one really makes me wonder if some of you have some kinde of megalomania going on. You are an administrator on a rather insignificant message board, not god. Telling people what they can, and cannot like is really not your job.

I also thought the series went down hill from WC3. What was the point of turning it into "an interactive movie". That part completely failed if you ask me. I liked the style of the old WC games alot more, it was a bit more cartoonish and much more dramatic. I mean the old cutscenes from Kilrah was just awsome. The new ones looked way too much like papermache. (sp?)

I bet it cost a buttload of money to film it all, and it only succeeded in removing some of the fatasy-like feel of the game. Also because of the high price of making movies there was a lot less story content. One of the coolest thing in WC2 was how people always talked about the preivous mission in the recroom. That was a much better way of defining the characters.

I would say the same for Privateer going to Privateer 2. Although this was done infinately much better. The story was nice, characters good and Clive Owen was awsome. (I remember thinking "Why isn't this guy a hollywood star already", too a few years but it happened).

So. Don't tell people that they cannot dislike something just because it has the WC brand on it. We are all WC fans here, nobody comes here to say that WC is lame. You don't make your way to this pretty secluded place on the internet unless you look for WC info.

Onde Pik said:
So. Don't tell people that they cannot dislike something just because it has the WC brand on it. We are all WC fans here, nobody comes here to say that WC is lame. You don't make your way to this pretty secluded place on the internet unless you look for WC info.

I also like wc2 the most. However, YOu need to start actually thinking about what you post. Your getting aggitated about nothing for starters. No one ever said you had to like the movie or the latter games for that matter. Only that you respect them. Even LOAF agrees that the movie doesnt really work as a piece of dramatic fiction. The harsh reactions to the initial post are towards all the people who think they can make up stuff and and go on about how The movie, isnt part of wc, or some similar nonsense.

Attacking admins for something they arent doing is a sure way to earn a vacation. It will have NOTHING to do with your opinion of the movie and EVERYTHING to do with your attitude and disprespect for the rules and others. And honestly, your argument about them supposedly suppressing discussion is stupid. Just saying you hate the move adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. If you have a tangible reason, fine. Don't expect others to agree, and definitely expect others to counter your "arguments". "This is a discussion forum for ***s sake!"

You have an interesting take on the later games in the series. You should have left all the unpalatable filler in the recycle bin and then maybe you could have had an interesting discussion about it. After all WC4 introduces more things into the WC universe that are harder make sure fit properly than the WC movie or academy tv show did.

Onde Pik said:
You are an administrator on a rather insignificant message board, not god. Telling people what they can, and cannot like is really not your job.

He just did.

The fact of the matter is - if you don't like the movie, thats fine, but don't come here wiping your feet on someone else's carpet. We've been through the "I hate the WC movie!" more times than I can remember and it always ends with someone being banned for not knowing when to cut their losses.

Banned again, you say? I don't remember finding someone so stupid as to get banned twice for doing practically the same thing.

LeHah said:
We've been through the "I hate the WC movie!" more times than I can remember and it always ends with someone being banned for not knowing when to cut their losses.
Partly true... as long as you don't let it degenerate into a flame-war, you can usually avoid being banned. (I've butted heads with LOAF on more than one occasion over the movie)
edit- However, trying to tell the WEBMASTERS what to do with thier opinion, is a good way to get smacked by the banbus. You don't go into someone's house and tell them they have horrible taste in carpet.

As far as I can recall, your objections had at least some rational basis as well as not including comments to the admins/mods with words to the effect of "you're all a bunch of poopyheads". Simply not flaming is helpful, but not necessarily enough, either.

Death said:
Simply not flaming is helpful, but not necessarily enough, either.

You'd think that since its been almost 7 years since the movie came out (God Im old) that people would figure that we've heard it all before?

Given how it seems a high percentage of people don't bother using the search function before firing off their thoughts, no I wouldn't think that. It would be nice if they did review already-covered territory, but I don't expect it.

LeHah said:
Banned again, you say? I don't remember finding someone so stupid as to get banned twice for doing practically the same thing.

It's happened half a dozen times this year so far. Last time before this was Thursday.

It's funny, in a way... he's like our resident Maniac, getting smacked down by the people he spends so much time boasting to... mostly because he doesn't know how(or when) to shut up... :D

I thought the movie had some good points, it was just on TV twice last week and I really enjoyed at least seeing some of the imagery as I am about to enter the WC universe for the first time, and I think Chris Roberts is quite a genius in many ways and I hope he is happy doing the work he is doing now. Does anyone know where he is working, and for what company or what if he has his own, what it is called?

Back