Chris Roberts Producing Punisher?

Wildshot

Spaceman
I have an inkling that this is just a snafu over at IMDB, but I thought I'd post it otherwise.

A friend of mine and I were talking about Wing Commander a lot recently, and we got on the subject of Chris Roberts, and what he's been doing since leaving Digital Anvil. I remember seeing the Point of No Return website a while back, but since I was curious, I did an IMDB search for "Chris Roberts".

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0730932/

As you can see from the top, this is obviously the Wing Commander Chris Roberts, as his only credits are for Wing Commander projects...until you scroll all the way to the bottom where it lists where he's creditted as a producer.

In addition to Wing Commander 3, it lists him as the executive producer of the upcoming movie "The Punisher", which if you don't know is an adaptation of the Marvel comic book of the same name.

I have reasons to believe that this might be a mistake on IMDB's part. There are a lot of Chris Roberts out there, and usually executive producer roles are relegated to either the original creator of a licensed character, or people with lots and lots of money, neither of which really describes Roberts in this situation.

I think that this may simply be the fact of there being more than one Chris Roberts. IMDB is usually reliable on this, and the managed to keep the other 5 or 6 Chris Roberts separate, but it's far from impossible to say that they might have messed up on this.

Or maybe they didn't. And if they didn't, does anyone have any other information to offer on this?

It's not a mistake. It's the same Chris Roberts. And it's not a snafu on their part. They're not even talking about the old Punisher movie.

Wildshot said:
Or maybe they didn't. And if they didn't, does anyone have any other information to offer on this?

People need to read the CIC more regularly.

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/4971
2003.252 (September 9, 2003):
What's Chris Roberts Doing Lately?
People often ask us what Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts is up to. Most recently, his film related work via Ascendant is ongoing, and he is currently executive producer of the upcoming Punisher movie. You can find a trailer here. Occasionally he gets invitations to become involved with gaming projects, and he has additional movie prospects in the works. Thanks to Deathlok for the tip.

We also mentioned it again last Tuesday
https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/4998

It's no mistake. We found out through friends of Chris Roberts before we saw the thing at IMDB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because of our connections here at the CIC, our lives are enriched with WC goodness and Chris Roberts gossip.

There's also a Doom movie in the works. The game designers, though, have made sure that they'll have control of creative aspects, so that it doesn't suck balls.

There's been a DooM movie 'in the works' for about a decade. Chris Roberts was even offered a shot at directing it, at one point.

Yah, I know there's been rumors, but this was an official statement from the higher-ups at a Doom 3 expo. But, then again, I dunno where the 'statements' from before were from.

Bandit LOAF said:
There's been a DooM movie 'in the works' for about a decade.

Yeah, the DooM movie is turning into something of a Game-Movie equivalent of the second coming of Jesus...

There's been a script circulating forever... there just isn't that much interest in actually producing the DooM movie.

Most films are tight-lipped about the script until the actual film comes out. But rest assured there'll be movie memorabila, and the script won't take that long to circulate.

Bandit LOAF said:
There's been a script circulating forever... there just isn't that much interest in actually producing the DooM movie.

Thank God. The last thing we wanna see is another fiasco like,

Mortal Combat 1 and 2 (especially)

Street Fighter

Tomb Raider (its actually watchable if you put filter to everything else but Angelina Jolie).

Are there any good movies adopted from games anyway? Not that I can remember of :rolleyes:

I thought Mortal Kombat 1 was pretty good. And the first Tomb Raider was more like the games than the 2nd one. The puzzles (the swinging pendelum) and all the sounds Lara makes (think the opening sequence, although the rest of the movie works also), they were all pretty good. If you've ever seen the animated SF movies, they're pretty good. Well, some of them anyway.

Murray said:
Are there any good movies adopted from games anyway? Not that I can remember of
I really liked Final Fantasy, but it seems most people didn't, so I guess it doesn't count.

Back