Chris Roberts leavs DA ! ! !

Black Joker

Spaceman
Chris Roberts abandons DA !

Hello, all!

Russia GAME center "Absolute Games" posted today an extremely hot article:
..."Chris Roberts, autor of famous Wing Commander games serie, abandoned Digital Anvil. Gossips say it's because of Microsoft and it's long shot project with DA. First DA's game will be Freelancer (est early in 2001)."...

Can You confirm or deny this event, and more interestingly,
what are the plansof mr. Roberts. Maybe, just maybe he will move to Holliwood? And this story about WC2 movie (mentioned in M.Hamill interview) is very good timed with his leave... But, hey, stop wandering...

Sorry for my poor english.

What the!

Whats wrong here, i thought digital Anvil was created by Chris Roberts?!, why would they want to throw them out?

But, it's evil MS...
And maybe some conflicts exists within DA or between DA and MS.

You guys, you are in USA, e.g. more close that I am and maybe You will clarify this thing. And Russia is far away from Austin...

bullshit!

i very much doubt that!

and IF there is going to be another WCM that is a reason NOT to leave, since DA did/does the special effects...

Big deal, personally I couldn't care less. I appreciate what Roberts did with WC very much, but after he left OSI I didn't care much about him, and I could care even less about his company that pushes back games every month.

but what why did he leave now? and what will become of him?

what's going to happen to freelancer/wing commander?

I don't think it's true, for one. It hasn't shown up anywhere I consider credible; and no, "Daily Radar" doesn't count in the slightest as a remotely important source, in my opinion. If it shows up on Gamespot/CGW or PC Gamer, or on DA's site, then I'll believe it. Or if MS/DA can ever be reached for comment.

If they tossed Roberts, they are retarded. Because he is really the only person that ever really made space sims worth playing. Though he has his faults, he has that grand sense of vision which few people in the increasingly sterile megacorporation (read EA, MS) dominated gaming world. (This is not universally true, Hasbro Interactive seems to be very good at encouraging very creative projects; MOO3 looks awesome). Unless Freelancer gets another competent leader behind it, then, IMHO, space sims are doomed for some time to come. With WC on the back burner, and a Lancer saga down the toilet before it has hardly begun....well, yeah.

Only slightly in response to Earthworm's statement, personally, I could care less about OSI. They no longer really produce anything other than Ultima; i.e. anything I actually enjoy. I hope UO goes south and they manage to run their division into the red big time; then maybe EA will sell them off to Hasbro or MS or Interplay or anyone else. Maybe a different owner would be more inclined to pursue WC/Privateer and other, non-Ultima titles. Maybe not. Either way, it won't be any worse than it is now. EA-OSI no longer even holds most of the in-house WC talent. Sure some were shifted to UO but, by my guestimation, they managed to drive away most of the key people away, who's names keep popping up on other projects.

So, anyway, that's my two cents on the issue.

Well, I think that DA could use someone in charge that actually releases games, instead of a man with a vision...

And you don't care about OSI, yet you seem to care about Roberts. So what if they don't make anything but Ultima? If there ever will be another WC game it will depend on EA/OSI, no Chris Roberts.

If they tossed Roberts, they are retarded. Because he is really the only person that ever really made space sims worth playing.
Oh, you know very well that's bullshit. Elite came before it, and, while I don't know anything about space sims before Elite, I do know that Elite was definitely worth playing (though personally I never really liked it).

(This is not universally true, Hasbro Interactive seems to be very good at encouraging very creative projects; MOO3 looks awesome)
Hasbro? Didn't they nearly kill X-COM: UFO Defense (or UFO: Enemy Unknown, as it is known in Europe) before it was released?

All I know is that over the years a lot of people have worked on WC. Sure Chris Roberts may have played a key part in starting and developing WC but he was one man among many...
As for OSI going down the tubes. I think that would be a disaster. That would mean no more WC games forever. But if UO2 or whatever succeeds then maybe OSI will gain enough financial leverage to start work on other projects & we'll finally get WCO or Privateer Online or some other WC game.

My 2 cents...

You are absolutely correct, assuming that the UK is located at 3rd street and Congress in downtown Austin.

(And now I'm going to walk down to the UK!)

I don't know, who else left the WC team after WC4 that made WC5 such a different game from its predecessors, I can only blame the change on Robert's leaving, the one man army

Originally posted by Penguin
All I know is that over the years a lot of people have worked on WC. Sure Chris Roberts may have played a key part in starting and developing WC but he was one man among many...
As for OSI going down the tubes. I think that would be a disaster. That would mean no more WC games forever. But if UO2 or whatever succeeds then maybe OSI will gain enough financial leverage to start work on other projects & we'll finally get WCO or Privateer Online or some other WC game.

My 2 cents...

There are few reasons why Prophecy's plot doesn't compare to WC3 or WC4. First, EA cut the budget, I don't know the exact amount, but the Prophecy script went from 400 pages to about 120. Second is that after WC4 many fans were bitching about it having too many movies and not enough gameplay. And the third reason is that Prophecy was rushed for christmas instead of letting OSI work on it a little longer.

CR is just one man, a part of a large team that designs games. He had a vision, but it's not like he's the only one working on the game, yet some people seem to have a hero worship... His departure from OSI didn't affect WC as much as some people think.

I was always filled with eager anticipation of what awaited me after each mission I completed, would only say that there weren't enough cut scenes, coz I could never get enough of them

More cutscenes? Yeesh... there should be a limit... while the movies are nice, I play WC to actually fly ships and stuff... there are like... 4 missions to a disc in WC4. The movies are good and stuff, but all you're really doing is flying a 5 minute mission, then sitting through 15 minutes of movies. And this is after a half hour opening video.

Cutscenes are nice, but there needs to be more GAME in WC...

While WC4 could have used a better ratio of cutscenes to gameplay, thou art mistaken in some of your points...

WC4, despite the popular belief, has actually quite a few missions, it's just that with all them choices you don'g get to play them all at one time. And while that lowers the playing time, it gives you much more replayability. Anyhow, so there are definetly more than 4 missions per disc, try between 6/7-8. And you hardly ever have to sit through 15 minutes of cutscene before you can fly. Yes, there are some long cutscenes like on the Axius starbase, but those are few and far between.

And having said all that, it's the quality, not quantity that matters. Prophecy has roughly the same amount of cutscenes that WC3 does, but they were used in a better way in WC3.

[Edited by Earthworm on 12-03-2000 at 21:24]

I always liked the cutscenes in WC3/4. The only thing that I found a bit annoying in WC3 was that you had to wander all around the ship to find the people you could talk to.
The map in WC4 made it a lot easier.

Another day - another news

Hello, all again.

Today russian game center Absolute Games has confirmed that C.Roberts abandoned DA and another predictable new info from DA: MS might close Freelancer. Why am I not surprised???

It's possible of course, but I don't see why they can't go on with him. Unless he got the boot because the game has been pushed back too many times... But we should get the official word from MS any day now.

Back