Changing graphics cards.

Mace

Vice Admiral
Since i move around a lot, i tend to have multiple computers with me, some low-power, some portable.

Where i now live i had selected a compaq business desktop as primary computer, and i started playing through standoff, it is a business desktop, so it uses onboard graphics and sound. Standoff runs like a dream, that is, unless you try to go into a dogfight. as ships close in the framerate does not just drop, it actually "halts" the system, and when you do get it smooth, the keys do not respond(i duplicated the issue on my laptop, a DELL 820 to be sure it was related to onboard graphics)

After i tested it with a physical card i borrowed(Daimond Multimedia Radeon X1650 AGP) I did not have this issue. So I went out and bought a new card(ASUS Ati Radeon HD3450 AGP) for it my issue is this, you can not revert to default options, and this results in the companion software of the graphic card to crash all over the place with pop-ups coming "half through", there was a visible popup, but not clickable, i had to exit the game before having access to it. Also standoff did run, very, VERY slow-paced. A clean reinstall of standoff fixed this, but an option to reset the graphic config files to their defaults would be nice.

Hmm, do you mean the launcher options or the in-game options? If it's in-game, do you remember the specific setting that made it crash?

The launcher options.

The game does not crash either, it just starts running real slow, like running WC2 on a 80286 system. And the graphic card's companion software messes up. I did fix it with a clean reinstallation. But a restore to default settings that would simply -clean up- the config files would be a lot easier and faster.

There's a file you can delete in the Standoff folder to reset the launcher's graphics options (stan_ogl.cfg)... we will add mention of this to the launcher's FAQ/Help.

A lot of games have a safe mode.

I can send you my prior and past registries of windows if you want, a simple restore to default options button would suffice.

Thanks, but there will be no differences between the "before and after" registries at all - the only thing that the launcher's options affect is that .cfg file (it's actually just a text file). IIRC the only thing we keep in the registry is the installation path, and the game would probably work even if that entry somehow became corrupted, which wasn't your case, but you'd just be unable to install/uninstall the game(this is just a guess, though, Pete would be more knowledgeable on this than I am).

Well, that's a bit of a mystery to me - the only options the launcher sets are in ST_OPTIONS.CFG and STAN_OGL.CFG; both are completely re-written from the first to last byte everytime you click "OK" in the options window of the launcher... there is absolutely no configuration stored anywhere else than in those two files you can setup yourself in the option menu.

As for the crashes and lag after you installed the new card: had you rebooted after you finished the setup of the new card, drivers and companion software ? Even if Windows doesn't require a reboot after you install the drivers of the card, sometimes the custom software linked to the drivers does require one.

If you have more informations about your problem please tell, we may find what happened and address it.

Hello pete,

I did not mean the actual windows registry, but the application log, i phrased the question wrong.

As for your more information, i did reboot ofcourse before posting the issue here.

The companion software is from ATI, since it uses thesame splash screens they have been using for over ten years. Please also note that the game did not crash, it stutters and halts, and keeps telling me it recovered the status of the VPU.

A simple reset to defailt should fix most or any problems, and would avoid reinstalling standoff(SO had the problem too, but i fixed it by re- and deselecting graphic cards)

Around the end of 2007 / beginning of 2008, I was using a Radeon X1950 PRO AGP, when nVidia had all but given up on the ageing bus and ATi's support was on its way out too. I remember the latest Catalyst drivers (of the day) causing severe slow downs with Standoff - if they even worked at all in the first place (DirectX/AGP support was stuffed up for quite a few driver releases). In any case, I had to go back a few driver releases before I got Standoff working at a decent frame rate. I don't know if this is relevant to your problem, but it may be something to consider.

Back