Challenge coins

ZOmegaZ

Rear Admiral
So I've just become interested in challenge coins. I don't usually like random trinkets, but these are pretty neat. I have this crazy idea of making a kickstarter to get some Wing Commander challenge coins made, Vega Campaign design or something. Anyone else interested?

👍 Great, great idea!!

I just did some searching online and I couldn't find any Wing Commander 1 designs. It does seem like a challenge coin for Kunsan Air Base in South Korea might have some Wing Commander connection and shows one approach (with a bottle opener too?).
1602043128641.png

1602043255429.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking one side would be the Black Lion squadron logo:
Hellcat Elite Black Lion.png
Text above and below: 88th Fighter Wing, Black Lion Squadron

And the other side would be either a shot of the Tiger's Claw:
WC1-Bengal.png
Or the Confed logo (or both):
https://cdn.wcnews.com/wcpedia/images/Confed_Flag_2.png

With text around the edge: TCS Tiger's Claw CV-07, Vega Campaign

I finally got back around to this! First pass design is below. I think it looks pretty great! I think perhaps it needs a Hornet below the Claw, or something? Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 101
A challenge coin must have the rank of the commander issuing it. That's the challenge part: If you throw down a CC in a bar, everyone has to produce a coin. If they can't, they buy the round. If everyone has a coin, then the lowest rank shown buys.

I'd replace the "vega campaign" with the rank of the ship commander, and probably his name. The backside should feature the ship's insignia; not just a picture of it.

You can make it in the shape of the vessel, though.

And number them. A numbered coin has more significance. I can give you some examples of the coins I've gotten in my career.

This is beautiful work. I'm interested. We should open a challenge coins / ribbons section in our Discord. We could each send our final scores on each campaign as a challenge response.

The first pass design looks pretty good. Not sure about a rank on the coin. How do you want to assign the ranks, via the pledge sum?
The way we use the challenge part: If you throw down a CC in a bar, everyone has to produce a coin. If they can't, they buy the round. If everyone has a coin, you pay the round.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not trying to make this perfectly authentic. It's a souvineer, not an attempt at a legit challenge coin.

Updated version with a Hornet attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210802-141006_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210802-141006_Chrome.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 105
A challenge coin must have the rank of the commander issuing it. That's the challenge part: If you throw down a CC in a bar, everyone has to produce a coin. If they can't, they buy the round. If everyone has a coin, then the lowest rank shown buys.

I'd replace the "vega campaign" with the rank of the ship commander, and probably his name. The backside should feature the ship's insignia; not just a picture of it.

This is how the classic challenge coin thing goes, but there are also plenty of "commemorative" coins that are meant as a tribute to a place, event (in this case, the "Vega Campaign"), units/squadrons and much more. They even make them where I work for veterans who happen to be employed there.

The addition of the Hornet looks pretty good, but it's also a little busy with it. I wonder if the Hornet could be made any smaller without losing too much detail.

if u do sell some coins,id like one coz its very excellent design

can even see campaign challenge coin for McAuliffe, Custer's Carnival, Enyo, etc

Here's this, with the Hornet reduced in size by about 20%.

If this run is successful I'll definitely try other designs!

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 79
The big question/concern I would have is legal - I don't presume any of these designs are licensed are they? Some of these properties are owned by big companies with lawyers who may object on various grounds. At the very least, the project might get killed, or it may get all caught up in red tape so all the backer money goes to lawyers and that's it.

Back