carriers

They sure did seem alot more powerful to me. Especially when i got hit by one, the whole ship shook and i took quite a bit of damage.

The Plunketts are indeed one of the coolest capships in WC.
But I wouldn't call the Vesuvius a dreadnought, despite it's heavy weaponry for a carrier. Look at the dreadnoughts in WC, they were all even more heavily armed than the Vesuvius (if you take the age differences into consideration).

Originally posted by Excalibur
I'm not sure. Photon cannons arn't that much more powerful then laser turrets so it wouldn't really provide much help. Also, I didn't think that Confed equiped capships with Photon cannons. AMGs on the other hand are capship weapons and do give a much bigger punch.

I think the Vesuvius is armed with heavy photon cannons. They do much more damage than a laser turret (h. photon 74cm/ laser 18cm)

No thats way off this is the Photon gun

Photon Gun
Velocity 1800 Klicks
Charge 30nJ
Damage 32CM
Refire Delay 450MS
Duration 2.5 secs

Valor NR is right. I was refering to the plain Photon Guns, but still the Heavy Photon Guns, if they even exist, I've never heard of them, are still nothing to AGMs. You say that Heavy Photon Guns do 74cm of damage, well AGMs do 300cm. I think that if the Destroyers(Coventry and Sheffield) in WC3 have one AGM, then Confed wil arm its new powerful Super Carrier/Dreadnought with as many powerful turrets that they can get their hands on. Or should I say as many as they can fit on.

Oh and I just noticed one other thing. You said that Lasers do 18cm of damage. Well those are Laser cannons that are fitted on fighters. Laser Turrets that are fitted on CapShips do 25cm of damage.

No, the damage stats you’re relying on (presumably from the WC3 or KS game manuals) are given in tenths of a centimeter. Hence, lasers do 1.8cm damage, laser turrets 2.5, AMGs 30, and so on.

Now I'm sorry I missed out on all the fun. :)

I want to go back to the argument of which carrier would clear its fighter complement (note: complement not compliment) first - Midway or Vesuvius? My vote is for the Midway.

It's already known that Midway only has 252 vs Vesuvius' 400. It's been argued that the crane mechanism for loading fighters on the Midway is slow and cumbersome. I don't see why the process isn't pipelined (ie while one fighter is loaded into the catapult, another crane is ready load the next fighter. Additionally, while three of the Midways launch tubes can be knocked out at once, there's still the other set of lauch tubes available - the Vesuvius has only one launch bay.

Some have argued that the Vesuvius could line up several fighters at once on the flight deck. Someone already countered that you could have a pile-up as well as the fact that a fighter's backwash could cook the fighter behind. AFAIK, there are five fighters for scramble on older carriers like the Victory. I don't think there'd be more that dozen possible on the Vesuvius, and then you would need to wait for the lift to bring up the next load of fighters from the internal hangar. I believe this would take more time than the Midway's crane system.

BTW, the Plunkett also carries a small complement (15, I think) of fighters. But it is a nice looking ship - if only it didn't try to kill fighters with guns designed for capship battles. Especially when you're in the fray.

Dictionary.com

1. com·pli·ment n.
  2. An expression of praise, admiration, or congratulation.
  3. A formal act of civility, courtesy, or respect.
  4. compliments Good wishes; regards: Extend my compliments to your parents.
    [/list=1]

1. complement n.
    2. A word or phrase used to complete a grammatical construction
    3. A complete number or quantity: "a full complement"
    4. Number needed to make up whole force: "a full complement of workers" [syn: full complement]
      [/list=1]

1. You were saying?

Yea, Wedge! Glad u could join us!
Ok, a couple of reminders (not thrashings, ok?), capships could always turn when a fighter enters the launch bay/hangars as in WC4, while Midway's could just be shot and destroyed from the outside. Also, I mentioned was for a heavily modified Vesuvius (tons of upgrades with all that available space!), not the average package. Kinda like buying a car with all the goodies.:)

Another good point that I mentioned in "Little Tricks"...I doubt engineers that far ahead in time would be dumb enough to allow enemies to creep into the launch bay area without some heavy-duty defenses. I would have some fast-closing blast doors and a controllable EMP field set up on the inside. That way, any would be heroes could be trapped and captured.

But don't ask me how the field would be set up; that job is for future engneers to figure out, LOL!

Originally posted by Wulf
Ok, a couple of reminders (not thrashings, ok?), capships could always turn when a fighter enters the launch bay/hangars as in WC4, while Midway's could just be shot and destroyed from the outside.

Apart from the fact that capships turn slower than a pregnant cow. Flying into the hanger of a capship should not prove too much of a challenge for any reasonably competent pilot. And, if it does manage to turn sufficiently to cause the fighter to stack it, the impact of a fully laden fighter is going to have a rather detrimental effect on the flight deck.

Also, I fail to see how the Midways lauch bays are any more vulnerable to external attack than the Versuvius'. Given the Midway's launching procedure, where the fighters are loaded into a 'gun barrel', I would expect the outside of the launch tunnel to be protected by an armored hatch, that is only opened when the fighter is about to launch.

Big and super powered designs have a particularly hard time surving in the WC universe. Good examples are the Sivar, the Behemoth and the Vesuvius.

Best, Raptor

It's because they were weak, dude! Those things were weak. What makes mine special is that it has an 'anti-Blair' package, LOL!

Back