Capturing ships from the Nephilim

Kilroy

Spaceman
Recently playing Prophecy I thought about one thing: The capital ships in propecy don't blow up leaving just a wreckage or debris (like in the former wing commanders), they are just disabled, left unable to move. Why didn't the Cons just capture some of those? I mean, in the manual you read about a little metal plate analysed to death and the we have the chance to check out a whole ship of them?

If u played WC: Secret Ops... u find out that the ships are diseased are that some Confeds get infected with some type of virus/bacteria.

[Edited by Knthrak on 06-18-2001 at 21:19]

Originally posted by Knthrak
If u played WC: Secret Ops... u find out that the ships are diseased are that some Confeds get infected with some type of virus/bacteria.

Damn! I hate myself for not having Secret Ops :(

[Edited by Kilroy on 06-18-2001 at 21:37]

Or you could buy 1 of 2 things. 1. WCPG OR 2. One of the old magazines that had all the episodes.

BTW This thread reminds me of a CHIP posting...

Or you could buy 1 of 2 things. 1. WCPG OR 2. One of the old magazines that had all the episodes.

The magazines are just as illegal as downloading it :)

I'll just let Boomer explain. Here's an old alt.games.wing-commander post.

Date: 1998/12/25

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998 17:21:36 -0800, Christopher Reid
<CReid1701@aol.com> wrote:

>Ivan Strougatski wrote:
>>
>> One of magazines in UK that gives SO for free is PC Pro.
>> (I informed http://www.wcnews.com about this).
>> They give away _complite_, 7 episodes.
>>
>> What I can not understand is a official Origin/EA position on
>> this matter.
>> It would be nice if Boomer can clarify this.
>
> He already did. Someone asked Boomer directly on the CIC SO Chat
>Zone. It's illegal, but it's more trouble than it's worth to hunt down
>most of the offenders.
>
>Chris Reid Wing Commander CIC
>ChrisReid@wcnews.com http://www.wcnews.com

The 'problem' is, how could you look a magazine editor in the face and
say 'you can't do that' when they could turn around and point to many
online sites making SO available. Doing so would be shooting
ourselves in the foot (e.g. risking the relationships with magazines).

And it seems regarding SO, if we were to shut one online site down
from offering it another would pop up somewhere else.

Boomer

TC

Originally posted by Quarto
They did try, and the results were not pretty. Read the SO fiction :).

Hmmmmmm. That makes mw wonder if the virus was the natural result of decay in the organic hull, or if it's a deliberately engineered bio-weapon to avoid ships being captured. Because if it's the latter, then the Nephilim use of bio-weps means that Confed might also escalate to using weapons of mass destruction, like thye did to the kIlrathi at the tail end of the war.

Best, Raptor

I think that it is just natural decay (of the engines). But it could be there on purpose... either way, it's not much of a bio-weapon. I mean, it is a bio-weapon, but it's only used as a defence mechanism - not on the general populace. It would take a lot more than that for Confed to resort to weapons of mass destruction. Besides, such weapons are virtually useless, since we don't know of any targets where WMDs could be useful.

But in WCP we *did* capture a whole Kraken intact --
that's where Finley got the blueprints of the wormhole
and where the Midway got it's disco ball.

In WCP:SO Episode 6 Spyder explained that this was possible
because the Kraken was captured intact -- we hadn't beaten
it to pieces the way other ships had been. We hadn't shut
down the power core, therefore the microorganisms that would
otherwise have disposed of the vessel were still inhibited
and didn't, e.g. kill Dekker and the entire boarding crew.

Respectfully,
Brian P.

Even if it was a deliberate bioweapon, it's certainly not enough to give Confed cause to develop their own weapons of mass destruction -- preventing a ship from being captured is a far cry from dusting a population with something...

Originally posted by pendell
But in WCP we *did* capture a whole Kraken intact --
that's where Finley got the blueprints of the wormhole
and where the Midway got it's disco ball.
Call me crazy, but I seem to recall blowing the crap outta that Kraken before it could fire on the Midway! I thought Finley was gonna have a heart attack because I left it so long :)

There's two of them, one in for repairs that Dekker boards (where they get the goodies from) and the other which is fully active and out for the Midway.

Originally posted by Dak
There's two of them, one in for repairs that Dekker boards (where they get the goodies from) and the other which is fully active and out for the Midway.

Don't think so... I think it was just the one. I suspect
we were expected to capture, not destroy, the Kraken, but
we had to do it in such a way that we would only loot it
and not put it into service ourselves. I suspect our blowing the crap out of the Kraken was due more to the
limitations of the engine. Thus, the ship was
less damaged than some of the other ships that we hit in
the bridge and engines, but the model was unable to show
that.

Either that, or there's "retconning" at work ..
"The Kraken was captured intact. The Kraken was always
captured intact. Oceania has *always* been as war
with EastAsia..."

Respectfully,
Brian P.

I think the whole 'leave the hull floating in space while little fireworks fart out of the vents' idea is stupid. I get that little buzz every time I whack a kitty ship and get to play around in the blackened charred bits for a while. Kitties n' bits n' bits n' bits :)
Ramming a coupla torps up some cap ship's ass dosen't do it for me any more now that the bloody thing only coughs and rolls over. I want explosions! I wanna see my friggin' life flash before my very eyes! :)
Call me crazy...
Anyone else agree?

Originally posted by Bar-None
I think the whole 'leave the hull floating in space while little fireworks fart out of the vents' idea is stupid. I get that little buzz every time I whack a kitty ship and get to play around in the blackened charred bits for a while. Kitties n' bits n' bits n' bits :)
Ramming a coupla torps up some cap ship's ass dosen't do it for me any more now that the bloody thing only coughs and rolls over. I want explosions! I wanna see my friggin' life flash before my very eyes! :)
Call me crazy...
Anyone else agree?

AAAA-MEN, BRUTHA! My favorite explosions were the ones
from WC2, where the ship would be racked by massive
secondary explosions for a second or two, then the screen
would turn white as the K-ship ATOMIZED.

Like the guy in Robocop said, "IIIII LIKE IT!"

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by Kilroy
The capital ships in Prophecy don't blow up leaving just a wreckage or debris (like in the former Wing Commanders), they are just disabled, left unable to move.
They're destroyed, the game programmers apparently didn't have time to do a decent job on the explosions.

Personally, I don't mind it, but I think it would have looked nicer if they left a 'destroyed' model like the Fralthi II in the first mission of WCP, maybe with a bit more extensive damage (it was only 'half-dead') and lots of surrounding debris.

[BTW, there were two Krakens, but we ended up having to blow up both of them.]

[Edited by Wedge009 on 06-21-2001 at 02:08]

Back