Capital Ships - Weapon Placement

Okay......it looks like it's a Borland compiler file; explains a lot. Looks like I'm going to need you to send me the file.

Either that or it's part of Panda Antivirus. Or a virus. Or the final component of the Infernal Spell To End All Life As We Know It In Exchange For Populating The Earth With Ewoks. Or something like that.

Alright, thanks to Quarto I was able to get the program up and running. Now I just have to figure out how to use it...

This all seems like a crazy amount of work. Load Prophecy, jump to the "Paint the Target" mission (which has most of the capships) and play with invulnerability and the finger of death cheat on...

Eh, you're probably right. So, I'll need to install Prophecy on my Win7 machine, get it up and running (I have Special Ops on the box already, so that shouldn't be a problem). Then I'll need a save game with that mission included. And then figure out which ships are going to get skipped, and pray that my wingmen don't do any damage while I try to count/place the turrets - that's actually been my concern with doing things that way but it probably would require less boilerplate work on my part that way.

I'd still like to figure out how to run WCP Pascal - if not for this project, then maybe for the future.

Okay; Prophecy is up and running. I've figured out how to toggle invincibility and use the finger of God. Now, how do I skip ahead?

Thought I'd found a workaround this evening - a mission editor up at WCPedia that didn't involve a lot of complex coding work. Alas, the program is incompatible with Win7.

I'm not giving up yet: my WinXP laptop oughta have enough juice to run Prophecy without problems. I just have to find the time to do it.

I'm getting closer. I can feel it.

So today I tried the mission editor in my VM at work. Program didn't give me any grief and compiled my mission no sweat. But then the VM decided to reboot because it had finished an update. Now the damned thing is stuck in a reboot cycle and I can't get to the damned mission. Grrrrrrrr. :mad::mad::mad:

On the plus side, this does prove the combo should work in XP, at least. Still...

So now I've got the mission editor installed on my laptop, which runs XP. I build the mission, it compiles, and.......crashes Secret Ops. Seems you can't have the mission builder installed along with Quarto's ship viewer on the same install of Secret Ops. And that makes sense, considering the two programs require folders with the same names.

So......since I now have the mission file, I should be able to put it on my Win7 machine's copy of Secret Ops, provided I don't have Quarto's ship viewer on it as well (which, actually, I think I do - which means I need to figure out how to get it off of there).

I do have one more option, I suppose...

I'm in business. This is probably the most convoluted way anybody could've done it, but it's working so far. More when I'm done...

Well, that's about what I expected.

Nephilim ships in general are based on regular heptagons along their axis of motion; that's not that big of a surprise. So their weapons are arranged in rings as a rule, one weapon emplacement per side of the ship. Only exception to this rule I could see was on the Kraken, where with the aft batteries there were two guns along the ship's "underside", with no emplacement on the immediately adjacent facings (i.e. there were only six guns in that ring, as opposed to the seven up front).

I had the ships set neutral so they wouldn't shoot at me, but I'm going to assume that the guns have full range of motion. So, at this point I just need to sit down with my notes and a silhouette of each model (which I have, of course) to figure out arcs.

As far as the actual work went: when I got home I put Prophecy on my laptop and built the mission. Naturally, the damned thing wouldn't work on the laptop, but I figured I could try copying the mission file over to my Win7 machine. Damn thing worked then, so it was simply a matter of rebuilding the mission with a different Nephilim ship set each time on my laptop, then copying it over to my Win7 machine (overwriting the older versions as I went). Convoluted, but not as time-consuming as it might sound. And moreover it worked...

I'm fairly knee deep with Enyo at the moment, but I'm hoping to get these wrapped up very soon now.

Just finished everything up a few minutes ago; all that's left is to put the stats together for the few remaining ships and get 'em on up. That's one job finished. Thanks to everybody who helped out/offered suggestions/didn't de-rail the conversation/was at least willing to put up with my crap for a while.

Back