Can I Help?

Fenyx4

Spaceman
Anything I can do to help?

Offsite backup? Another pair of hands digging through the information? Someone to wipe your fevered brows?

Seriously I'm diein' to see this stuff and would gladly try to help.

EA told the CIC to not make the Mythic data public, so there's nothing for others to do anything with.

Wait so after all that excitement we don't get to see anything? not even the WC stuff? I'm kind of inclined to ask what the point was then!

The point was always to organize and digitize a large amount of material in paper/tape/disks/etc form that was not useful in its old format and was rapidly degrading. We were very successful in that mission, and now it won't be permanently lost to time and the next office move. As an added benefit, certain items (stuff like the P3 sector map in yesterday MTG update https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/9678 ) which never made it to publication can be incorporated in future Wing Commander projects. And over time, we might get the opportunity to post certain neat things from the pile (see trip report at https://www.wcnews.com/articles/mythicarchiving/index.shtml ).

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the impression and have had the impression that all of the materials could/would be made available to the public. So what, each item that is released is done on a case by case basis?

As Death mentioned, we have been asked not to release any (more) material. This is something that developed *after* we finished the job - in so far as I can tell, the press surrounding the project made it into more mainstream circles and alerted someone more important at EA HQ.

I got the same impression as Iceblade, still thanks for the update on that LOAF - it's a damn shame really as without it being released to the world at large, it is as good as lost.

On the upside though as you say Chris - i suppose it is now possible that the next time people come a-calling to the CIC for help to get the background right that you have more cool stuff to given them to implement into the universe (get it into the canon not just the bible!)

Isn't corporatism great, one company can legally talk out of both sides of their mouth. :p

It's not exactly impossible to find examples of a senior person overruling the decision of a junior member of an organization, "corporate" or not.

Face facts and cherish them, if EA allowed you full access to all those goods, it would be they considered it dead and wortheless, the unwillingless to realise the creative content, etc, is an evidence that they want to re-use it someday.

There is interest in a next generation wingcommander game, but it would be damn hard to make the choices to keep the storyline intact and keeping several generations of fans interested, dump the story or remake it? Please keep in mind that you will need financial input a lot bigger then anything this community has to pay tribute to the original work, and the market is a lot different now then it was in the coin-up days.

I just hope Chris roberts has taken an attempt to play through standoff, and the Standoff team did work magic, but would it enable Chris to revisit his old work?, time will tell.

The point was always to organize and digitize a large amount of material in paper/tape/disks/etc form that was not useful in its old format and was rapidly degrading. We were very successful in that mission, and now it won't be permanently lost to time and the next office move. As an added benefit, certain items (stuff like the P3 sector map in yesterday MTG update https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/9678 ) which never made it to publication can be incorporated in future Wing Commander projects. And over time, we might get the opportunity to post certain neat things from the pile (see trip report at https://www.wcnews.com/articles/mythicarchiving/index.shtml ).

That is sad. But as you say at least it is preserved so that someday it has the chance to be released to the public.

So one thing I never got a feel for from the trip report was how successful were you? Did you get through all the material? Did you run out of time? Were there some things (tapes,CDs, etc) too corrupted to be saved?

Most importantly; Did Chris get the feed scanner girl's number? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back