Callsigns

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Seriously, Bitch? Bastard? PANDA!? Did you guys run out of cool names or something? Or are you just trying to be funny? :p

Btw, thanks a lot, I nearly wound up dying during my run to save the Concordia because the destroyer in front of her blew up and the guy's like, "We are going kablewy!" I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. :p

Not criticism, mostly just giving you guys comic praise, but would like your take on the callsigns.

Well in one group of friends... we all gave each other derogatory nicknames at one point. It was due to the fact that we were in close proximity to each other for a couple days straight. (All day to)

So I imagine people living on a carrier would at one point, (probably due to booze also) acquire a callsign like that.

Seriously, Bitch? Bastard? PANDA!? Did you guys run out of cool names or something? Or are you just trying to be funny? :p
Who on earth ever said callsigns have to be cool?

I think, if anything, it's the "classic" callsigns (the Cougars, Lynxes, and other "cool" sounding stuff) that are terrible. I can easily imagine that there's a great story behind "Panda". I can't for the life of me imagine what story there could be behind "Cougar" - in all likelihood, Cougar chose his callsign simply because he thought it sounds cool. How lame is that?

Someone is obviously unfamiliar with air force procedures.

Here's a little exempt on how callsigns are given out:

f-16.net said:
The Three Rules of Callsigns

1. If you don't already have one, you will be assigned one by your "buddies".
2. You probably won't like it.
3. If you complain and moan too much about 1. and 2., you'll get a new nickname you'll like even less!

So, how do you get a callsign?

Do something stupid or have it fit with your last name. Obvious examples, 'Crash' or LT 'Cheese' Kraft. Sometimes it's based on a physical appearance thing like 'Carrot'. After you've earned the respect of your buddies, you'll get a more 'heroic' callsign.

Besides, between 'Flakbait', 'Decoy' and 'Pumpkin', there's already a lot of silly callsigns among the Firekka's regulars.

Besides, between 'Flakbait', 'Decoy' and 'Pumpkin', there's already a lot of silly callsigns among the Firekka's regulars.

Flakbait is actually pretty appropriate as with ten seconds of every mission he's involved in, you hear "Damage is severe, I gotta pop the pod!" BOOM! It's uncanny how reliable it is. Every time he's on my wing I count to ten. If he hasn't ejected by the time I've reached 10, the moment you order him to do something, he does.

Flakbait is actually pretty appropriate as with ten seconds of every mission he's involved in, you hear "Damage is severe, I gotta pop the pod!" BOOM! It's uncanny how reliable it is. Every time he's on my wing I count to ten. If he hasn't ejected by the time I've reached 10, the moment you order him to do something, he does.

Heh, I did that once off the 'ol Claw. Got the Golden Sun, then just kept getting reprimanded.

But you know what? I beat the WHOLE game. I saw all the cutscenes. Only took me like 15 minutes also. Those idiots kept letting me FLY!

Someone is obviously unfamiliar with air force procedures.

Here's a little exempt on how callsigns are given out:

"Duffman has reported you to the FAA, this near miss will be investigated by three retired pilots!"

Yeah I know about the Air Force bit. That is pretty funny.

At the end of my campaign he was the only one listed as Dead on the killboard.

At the end of my campaign he was the only one listed as Dead on the killboard.
Yeah, yeah, we forgot about Spoons :p. It's fixed now (but not retroactively, I fear).

On the subject of people dying, though, there's a lot of pilots who can die in Episode 5. It's quite possible to have even ten or more dead pilots on the killboard by the end of it - but even "killable" pilots have the option of ejecting, so it's not too likely...

Do 'cool' callsigns even exist? I saw this thing about navy pilots or whatever, and their callsigns were all about embarrassing shit they did drunk and that sort of things.

Do 'cool' callsigns even exist? I saw this thing about navy pilots or whatever, and their callsigns were all about embarrassing shit they did drunk and that sort of things.

Hey that might explain squealer! Or was that supposed to be a Deliverance reference? :p

I think the reason he's called Squealer becomes obvious when he reports an enemy capital ship down.

Yeah, yeah, we forgot about Spoons :p. It's fixed now (but not retroactively, I fear).

On the subject of people dying, though, there's a lot of pilots who can die in Episode 5. It's quite possible to have even ten or more dead pilots on the killboard by the end of it - but even "killable" pilots have the option of ejecting, so it's not too likely...

Yea I'm on stuck on the final mission and the killboard is full of KIAs. Rest in peace guys!

Oh, come on guys...one of the pilots in my first command, his callsign was "Cliff Claven".

It's not common, but it's cool in its own right. :D

Back