Callsigns

was it possible for pilots to have the same callsigns? and if it wasn't, how did they make sure it didn't happen...if if was possible, how would u tell one from another?

did they choose the callsigns themselves, or get given 'em? i've got the impression that they were given 'em to 'em...

and did they do what the military do now a days - with assigned callsigns, where in the armed forces, if u hold a certain position, u r a certain callsign eg...aussie army callsign - "Pronto" is ur signals bloke

No idea. But there's Panther from WC4, and the Panther fighter in WCP. And then you've got naming repetitions all over fighters and capships, especially the infamous Concordia name.

I've read that there is a military registration, which keeps track of all callsigns & prevents 2 pilots or whatever from having the same callsigns. Of coarse this is for the real world though.

The Registration exists in the WC Universe as well. It's mentioned in the WCP Player's Guide. One pilot had to go with an alternate spelling until the previous owner died.

How many of you here use their user names in the games as callsigns?
For a while, I used the callsign "Ace McJack" in games (which was kind of a private joke). Only when I came here I started using M.H., which is more a random choise than anything else.

I've used Quarto in just about every game out there ever since I first decided on it. The only exception to this was X-Wing. In X-Wing, when Quarto died for the second time, I decided, instead of deleting or resurrecting him, to create a different pilot, Wraith.

I've used to only use No Regret in space sims, but I've started to use it in other games as well, like Badur's Gate. Just thought that Ash No-Regret sound nice and forgotten realmsy :)

I'm back btw. Nice board, now just to get used to it...

I use my callsign in the games as my login here. :)

After I got hooked on the WC series I now use WC references as callsigns for other games (like "Lone Wolf" in SL or as my login over at TLR).

I use my name here as my callsign everywhere... but my good luck name in WC is Catatonic. For some reason, my kills skyrocket, and I totally kick arse...

In any case, I suppose a good question to ask is where people got their nicks from. Sometimes, they are inspired, and sometimes they are just random names we come up with...

My callsign is Bandit, and has been since before WC1... my online handle, LOAF, is fairly recent (circa 1994).

Its actually more surprising that we don't have more Bandits around... You'd think it would be a rather common callsign.

TC

Maybe there are other Bandits out there than LOAF, but they maybe too scared of LOAF to use the calsign or ssomething.

My calsign has alsways been Meson. When I first got WC1 I couldn't think of a good one, so I choose Meson since I wanted to be a physicist.

Hmm... I don't know... I wouldn't really be scared of someone called 'Meson'... (Though I really shouldn't talk. How scary is 'TC'?)

TC

So many callsigns, so little time. . .

My normal callsign in games is now Crytonian.
Not to scary, but it is mine.

-DeltaKiller

I was always into Star Wars before I found WC, and when I was asked for a callsign the first time I played WCP, I typed Jedi Knight, well, it didn't look right to me, so I shortened it to Knight, and, well, here I am :) It's become my online handle, second only to nrp80 (my email) and it's the handle I use in every game I play, from Half-Life to StarCraft to WC.

Well, I was about eight when I first played Wing Commander. I didn't understand the concept of callsigns at that time, so I used my first name. Once Wing Commander II came out, I started trying a few different names, but ended up with WildWeasel. That was my nickname at school.

Back