Calibrating Joystick in Privateer 2

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
Hey, I found my copy of Privateer 2 Deluxe Edition yesterday and thought I'd give it a go but it doesnt read my joystick (Thrustmaster Top Gun) and I cant calibrate it ingame. WIndows 98se reads it just fine and says its ok but Priv2 doesnt and I cant play with the mouse (thats just too weird). can anyone help?

Btw I just tried running the patch located in the files section and it gave me this error message:
The Privateer 2: The Darkening patch files must be located in a directory where Privateer 2 is already installed. Please copy all the appropriate files to the correct directory, then re-run PATCH.
HAPPY GAMING!

but the funny thing is is that its in the privateer 2 directory (c:\DARK)

ok so I finally got the joystick to work (had to reinstall) but now it jerks left and up, is tehre a way to calibrate it ingame?

You have the Deluxe Edition, so the patch isn't for you.

You calibrate in game from the options menu by pressing ALT+O in flight. Make sure you pick the type of joystick setup you have. You can increase the joystick dead zone during calibration by pressing + and -.

Dunno if you problem is already solved, but I had the same problem some time ago and found this odd solution.

Martini Doctor said:
Just for the records:

I found an really starnge solution to my joystick problem. :)
The USB Thrustmaster runs now fine in the P2 Win Edition. :)

In just leave the joystick unplugged. Then I start the game, launch my ship, go to the options-screen, go to the calibrate joystick screen and THEN, not one moment earlier, I plug in the joystick. And now I can calibrate it without any difficulties and it will work fine... :)

If you plug it in befor you start the game it will never work - but plug it in while you are in calibrate joystick screen and everything works as well as possible... isn't that weird?

If anybody can exxplain it to me you are welcome...:)

You can read all about it and about some other suggestions how to fix the problem in the thread I started back then. It's only some threads under yours...

good luck!!!

I've been trying this too with installing P2. I've managed to do the DOS installation in DosBox. Then Dos patch and Windows patch. It sees my USB joystick, but refuses to calibrate properly regardless of what I've tried (even unplugging the joystick). Wierdly it calibrates my gamepad fine, but everytime I try and calibrate my WIngman Force3D it jumps about all over the place and only lets me steer up and right. This makes combat a teeny bit difficult! :)

It sounds like you're doing too much. Installing the game in DOSBox and then running the patch is a terminal path. You don't then go on to use the Windows upgrade instructions. The Windows upgrade includes the improvements from the DOS Patch, and it should be installed separately from your DOS/DOSBox one.

Hi Chris. Thanks for the info. but still no joy (no pun intended!). I've tried starting from scratch and just installing in DOSBox, then out of DOSBox to windows to apply the windows patch (no DOS patch this time!). Still the same result. I even tried making a "windows" CD1 using the full instructions in the patch and installing that way. Still won't calibrate.
I think it must be something specific to the joystick as my (analogue) gamepad calibrates fine.

I've got a Logitech Wingman Force3D. Anyone else got this working with Priv2 - either version?

Is that a USB joystick? As long as it works in Windows, DOSBox should be translating its functions pretty well. Probably some combination of issues similar to what Martini Doctor overcame.

It is USB. (sorry should've said). I've looked through all the stuff Martini Doctor posted and tried it all, (frequently banging head on desk while heading for USB hub) but still no joy. Like I say, my analogue gamepad configures fine so it's just the joystick.

If anyone else has the Wingman Force3D USB let me know if you got it calibrated in Priv2. (works fine in all other WC games)

It'll be a while until I get to Priv2 anyway (as you know from my other thread :) ) and I might welcome the change to using my left thumb on the joypad to fly a ship.

Back