CAG

Yes but in WC4 and (I believe) WC3 Blair wasn't called the CAG, he was called the Wing Commander... I was just saying that the title wasn't always the same... and the rank doesn't need to be one specific thing...

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

In WC 4, he was actually the Acting Captain.
In WC 3... Well, they didn't really say. At any rate, I don't think Wing Commander is a rank (well, it might be in the British system). It's just a mission assignment.
But you are correct that the rank need not be the same. Blair was supposed to become the Tiger's Claw's CAG after Firekka, and he was a Lt. Colonel then. Unfortunately, something came up.

Would CAG really apply in the Wing Commander universe? Seeing as it's the forces are called "Space Forces"(strange they don't even have a navy aviation arm), so instead of "Commander Air Group" wouldn't it be something like "Commander Space Group"?

Oh well no matter what though, the term "CAG" always brings up Jake "Coolhand" Grafton to me
smile.gif

------------------
"I hope you make it, Tarkington. Just don't pull the handle till after we've hit. Promise me."
"I'm behind you all the way CAG..."
-Captain Jacob Lee "Coolhand" Grafton, and Lieutenant Robert "Toad" Tarkington, Final Flight

Last edited by a moderator:
Did somebody just make a Flight of the intruder reference
smile.gif
? That was a great movie. At any rate, I think that if Blair is alive and Confed finds him, then he would be smart not to put his neck on the line again. 2out of 2 missions he was captured or wounded/killed?.

------------------
"I'm putting you back in the cockpit Colonel, where you will be reunited with an old friend, the thrill of battle!"
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

Re: "Air"
It's just that "Space" is inconvenient. CSG sounds stupid, and CSP also sounds stupid. CAP is much better. It's a matter of using terms people are familiar with. After all, words mean exactly what we choose them to mean.

TC: But that's different. Anybody can be assigned to command a wing (as long as he's a pilot), but commanding an Air Group requires a certain level of responsibility and so on.

Yes "CAG" Grafton is a Flight of the Intruder series referrence. The series is rather long with the original Flight of the Intruder novel, followed up by The Intruders, Final Flight(This one's set way after 'nam and where Grafton is the CAG, it's also gone from being an A-6 story to a F-14 one), The Minotaur(development of the A-12), Under Seige, and The Red Horseman. All are by Stephen Coonts. Pick em up sometime, they're very good books.

Guess "CAG" could be a carryover from the old age of arial combat(same with CAP).

------------------
"I hope you make it, Tarkington. Just don't pull the handle till after we've hit. Promise me."
"I'm behind you all the way CAG..."
-Captain Jacob Lee "Coolhand" Grafton, and Lieutenant Robert "Toad" Tarkington, Final Flight

Just a note; Wing commander is neither rank nor mission placement, it's a position. The wing commander is in charge of an entire wing(four or more squadrons)

A squadron is made up of at least two flights.
Under the WC is the Group Commander(GC) or the Wing Exec, or the Deputy WC.

To make a long explination short, WC is a posistion, not a rank or title.

(Learned from Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps(AFJROTC))

Just a note; Wing commander is neither rank nor mission placement, it's a position.

Of course it isn't a rank.
biggrin.gif

The wing commander is in charge of an entire wing(four or more squadrons)

We don't know how many squadrons are in a wing.
smile.gif
And Wing Commander is also someone that's in charge of a wing in a sense that if there's a 3 fighter patrol, one of the three pilots is commanding the wing.
smile.gif

A squadron is made up of at least two flights.
Under the WC is the Group Commander(GC) or the Wing Exec, or the Deputy WC.

There's Squadron Commander, not Group Commander. And no, a squadron doesen't have to be made up of at least two flights, it could be, but we're never told that.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Quarto (edited February 06, 2000).]

EarthWorm: I was in ROTC, and the Space Force in WC is mostly modelled after a combination of the US AF and Naval Aviation.

ROTC 1st LT Christopher A. Blair

It's irrelevant what real life stuff he studied.. WC is not real life and it has its own way of doing things. Squadron Commanders are the main positions below Wing Commander (there's an XO WC between them sort of) in WC nomatter what real life institutions have.

Cmdr_X says:

EarthWorm: I was in ROTC, and the Space Force in WC is mostly modelled after a combination of the US AF and Naval Aviation.

Yes, it is. But not everything has to be the same. Until Origin or somone with a license from Origin tells us about that stuff, we won't know.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Squadrons, formations and numbers do differ slightly from wing to wing, but there is a basic setup.

Re: "CAG"

Originally, all the aircraft on a carrier (water navy) were collectively referred to as an Air Group, of which the CAG was the Commander (makes sense, no?
wink.gif
).

Later, "Air Group" was replaced with "Air Wing", but the title of CAG was retained out of tradition. (Besides, do you want to sound like a crow when talking to/about your boss?
wink.gif
)

As for the names in WC, it's varied through the games/novels. Right now I can't recall the details at various points in the timeline, though, so either Crid or LOAF *hinthint* would be a better source of info.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

CAGs generally are used when there are multiple wings aboard a ship.. Blair was the Wing Commander on the Victory, the Victory had a full wing of fighters. He could sorta be the CAG too. But where the CAG position stands out is aboard ships like Vesuvius and Midway.. three and four full wings, each with their own Wing Commander. The CAG coordinates them all.

Mon Dieu! THAT'S FRIGGIN' ENOUGH OUT OF BOTH OF YOU!!

Earthworm: You were here when the new rules were posted. Either you didn't read them, or you've already forgotten them. So go read them again. And don't give me that "but he..." crap either. Cmdr_X stepped over the line, but you KNEW you had no right to follow. This, by the way, is a warning. You've gotten into several arguments before. I don't mind if you argue. BUT YOU MUST LEARN TO IGNORE INSULTS THAT ARE THROWN AT YOU. There's a reason for the existence of Moderators. Let us do our job.

Cmdr_X: IF you really are an officer, then you of all people should know how to behave. And yet, whenever you get into an argument, it INVARIABLY TURNS UGLY! Earthworm just responds to insults - YOU START THE INSULTS; ALWAYS. THIS IS THE LAST TIME. You will behave properly, like everybody else. Otherwise, I suggest YOU go and get yourself a life, mister. Because the next time you break the rules, YOU WILL BE BANNED. Perhaps temporarily, or perhaps not. Frankly, I've had enough of your crap a long time ago. If you can't handle being wrong about something, then shut the hell up. And if you think you're right, prove it... Insults, however, are NOT proof.
Now go and read the Rules and Regs that you are to abide by while you're here. Right there, on the topic list. Click on the Rules and Regs announcement, or on the "register" link.

Dismissed... Lieutenant.

Back