But Wait, There's More! (August 11, 2013)

CIC

Space Marshal
We are pleased to announce that we have confirmed with Electronic Arts that they have licensed four more Wing Commander games to GOG! Academy, Armada, The Darkening and Prophecy should be available through the service later this year, completing the PC run of the series. Proof positive that it will be an amazing year for Wing Commander!

--
Original update published on August 11, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, can't wait for them. I don't even know what I'm waiting for the most, Academy or Armada. I think Armada.

On a side note: Can you now transfer your pilots from WC to SM to SM2 to WC2 to SO to SO2 with a GOG-tool?

We are pleased to announce that we have confirmed with Electronic Arts that they have licensed four more Wing Commander games to GOG! Academy, Armada, The Darkening and Prophecy should be available through the service later this year, completing the PC run of the series. Proof positive that it will be an amazing year for Wing Commander!
Just for old times' sake: why are you talking about Privateer 2 as though it were a Wing Commander title?

Kidding, of course. Ah, the arguments of yesteryear... ;)

Hey, quick question: do we happen to know if the Armada release is going to include Proving Grounds? (Pretty sure that's what it was called; my memory's a bit fuzzy this morning).

On a side note: Can you now transfer your pilots from WC to SM to SM2 to WC2 to SO to SO2 with a GOG-tool?

Yes. You should find that the "TRANSFER.EXE" and "TRANS2.EXE" programs are already present, and the Secret Missions reference cards (provided in PDF) explain how to use them. Also, you'll need WCSAV to save your wingmen from the dreaded buffer overflow bug. What GOG didn't do was provide a means to launch both programs from the Windows Start Menu or Mac OS applications folder. ChrisReid already linked to my guide for Mac OS. It isn't directly applicable to Windows, but the principles are the same. You have two options:
  1. Open a DOSBox window, mount your WC1 directory, and launch the relevant programs manually, or
  2. Create new Start Menu entries for those programs, with custom .conf files for each.
Hey, quick question: do we happen to know if the Armada release is going to include Proving Grounds? (Pretty sure that's what it was called; my memory's a bit fuzzy this morning).

If for by some error it doesn't, the files are right here in the WCPedia, so you can patch it yourself.

It's good to see support for Amarda. I only ever had the chance to play it at a friend's house, so never had the chance to play a full campaign. I found the atmosphere very appealling; its sombre palette seems to tie in the isolation experienced by both sides. However, Pix's replay made me wonder if I'll find the nostalgia better than the game.

To me, more important than Proving Grounds, is if GOG can spoof the Armada multiplayer into working on modern machines.

Doubtful but we live in hope.

Awesome news, setting aside about £30-00 for the whole lot :) especially The Darkening!!!
Don't forget, Hal Taffin only responds to one kind of language, Violence! :) (I am sure that bug will fixed in the GoG edition)

To me, more important than Proving Grounds, is if GOG can spoof the Armada multiplayer into working on modern machines.

What are you talking about? Mutliplayer works just fine with the current dosbox .74. (which is what they will use) If you need help getting it to work let me know. I'm always looking for someone to play.

You don't need a hacked Armada exe anymore! (if that's what you're referring to) Pretty much all you need is the DOSBox Netbios patch and then you use DOSBOX's built in IPXnet feature. And you can download Proving Grounds here at the CIC. https://www.wcnews.com/news/2009/01/10/and-play-armada-online

So we'll have to see what GOG eventually ends up producing, but I think there's a very good chance this will springboard into a vibrant Armada multiplayer community!

Edit: wcnut beat me to it

You don't need a hacked Armada exe anymore! DOSBox upgrades in 2009 made it unnecessary. Pretty much all you need is the DOSBox Netbios patch, if that even still, and then you use DOSBOX's built in IPXnet feature. And you can download Proving Grounds here at the CIC.

So we'll have to see what GOG eventually ends up producing, but I think there's a very good chance this will springboard into a vibrant Armada multiplayer community!

What are you talking about? Mutliplayer works just fine with the current dosbox .74. (which is what they will use) If you need help getting it to work let me know. I'm always looking for someone to play.

Beat me to it - I'm sure we'll be getting some multiplayer games going here once it's out.

Well netbios is not really a dosbox patch so much as a dos driver that must be launched before launching armada.

I generally automate this by putting after the auto exec part in the dosbox conf

c:
netbios
armada

or a simple .bat file with the same info.

It all has to be done after the IPX emu connection

Back