• No

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I wish Al Gore were in office

Votes: 16 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
Around the time of the crusades, there was a group called the assassini, where the word assassins is derived from...
Well, you got the basics right. The hashisheen (yes - assassin is not the only word that we got from their name ;)) were a rather secretive group that existed around the time of the crusades. They did use drugs to get into a religious "experience". In fact, they were on drugs while attacking, which gave them quite a reputation - they weren't bothered by pain and pretty much always killed their target or died trying. Notably, they weren't too bothered by what faith their target followed, and most of their targets were in fact Muslims.
This group was eventually wiped out... they didn't last all that long, because nobody likes drug-crazed assassins ;).

Re: I am surrounded by Republicans...

Originally posted by pygmypiranha
Geeze, I read through all the posts and I don't know about anyone else....but I don't really see too many liberals here.

and that's bad because..............?

Does anyone notice that one of the main reasons Bush is attacking Iraq is because of OIL!!!?? How many more countries must we attack before it becomes wrong?

no, the reason we MIGHT attack Iraq (if Saddam gets his ass in gear and realize it would be in his best interest to comply with the UN sanctions, there will be no war) is cause Iraq has violated the UN resolutions and the punishment for said violations is military force.

How can you say that Bush is doing a good job? We are attacking so many people just to satisfy revenge. We are creating more enemies by doing this.

so we should just let people attack us and get away with it? no. and by attacking, we are letting our enemies (and future enemies) that the US won't become a push-over country

I don't think he is doing good job as President.

well, that's your opinion

A president that can understand how to lay down arms and make peace is a good president.

add on to that a president that understands that to take up arms and make war is sometimes necessary and you would have it correct

Bush's policies have us set on the road to World War III. We must rethink our policies and truly come to grips with a peaceful resolution to things. Attacking other countries is not that answer.

we've been on the road to WW3 ever since WW2 ended. peace ain't always the best way. take hitler for example. do you think that the best way would've been to negotiate with him instead of going to war?

By attacking other coutries we are creating more enemies and doing more harm than good. Does anyone else see this?

by attacking our enemies, we are preventing them from attacking us as strongly as they would've been able to had we not attacked them. and as i said before, war is sometimes necessary.

How long must we shield our eyes from the truth that a peaceful resolution is the best. What gives us the right to be the power to decide things for people in this world? We are beginning to display the same mentality as Hitler did before he tried to take over the world. In that time period Germans thought that they were the master race and above everyone else. American's are beginning to show this same mentality. How long until we too are trying to take over the world? How long until we are dealt a blow for actions against other countries that we shock us for years?

how long must you shield your eyes from the truth that war is sometimes necessary?
being the only remaining superpower and one of the few countries with guts enough to step up and take over the responsibility of enforcing UN resolutions, since the UN can't do that for itself.
as for the master race mentality, yes many americans are showing this, because many americans haven't gone outside the US.
as for taking over the world, i don't think that will happen as long as the US has a democracy. Germany didn't have one and that is one reason why they almost got away with it.
and as for the US getting hit, some would say that happened on this damn near insignificant date September 11, 2001. but if were smart and deal with groups or countries that would do that to us again before they can strike, it won't happen again.

We must rethink ourselves. Bush is not dealing with this situation peacefully enough. He is making more enemies for the United States. Each day his actions are creating future Osama Bin Ladens. If we deal with things peacefully we will be helping ourselves in the long run.

well, WTF do you say we do? everyone shake hands and be friends and such that wouldn't even happen in a Barney & Friends episode? news flash buddy, there is this thing called the real world that isn't as nice and pretty as your imaginary one. yes, we are making enemies, but better to make them now so we know who they are instead of waiting for them to attack for us to find out who they are. and for the last time, peace is good most of the time, but there are certain times that war is necessary

Why can't we all just get along?

because not everyone agrees with everyone else, and that disagreement causes conflict

Does anyone notice that one of the main reasons Bush is attacking Iraq is because of OIL!!!?? How many more countries must we attack before it becomes wrong?

Pardon my French, but if that's the reason that we're going to war (wich i know it isn't), then tell your liberal wacko friends TO QUIT THEIR NATURALISTIC BITCHING AND LET US DRILL IN ALASKA, so war won't happen. But I know it's not the case. Aries I couldn't agree with you anymore. You got a Republican (I presume) friend in me.

Originally posted by T8H3X11
then tell your liberal wacko friends TO QUIT THEIR NATURALISTIC BITCHING AND LET US DRILL IN ALASKA

Please discuss in a civil fashion, or I'll RIP YOUR HEAD OFF AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS!

Thank you,
TC

Damn right, it's not the oil.

At least not only.

Shrub and his staff also want to keep their friends in the weapon lobby happy.

Originally posted by T8H3X11
Pardon my French, but if that's the reason that we're going to war (wich i know it isn't), then tell your liberal wacko friends TO QUIT THEIR NATURALISTIC BITCHING AND LET US DRILL IN ALASKA, so war won't happen. But I know it's not the case. Aries I couldn't agree with you anymore. You got a Republican (I presume) friend in me.

I don't like your tone, but I'll answer that at least: we already are drilling in Alaska. So my "wacko" friends as you called them, failed in their mission to try and preserve the wilderness.

Originally posted by Lynx
Shrub and his staff also want to keep their friends in the weapon lobby happy.

Alright this is very true.

A word to everyone. I need not reply further and add more fuel to the fire of this argument. Everyone has an opinion and I respect everyone's opinions on this issue. I don't want to get into a fight with everyone. Certainly something needs to be done about the situation in Iraq I just ask why now and why not more peacefully...? I hope that in the end we reach a more rational less expensive conclusion to this problem.

I am going to leave it at that because it's pointless trying to debate when I feel so outnumbered on this issue. I feel as though everyone is so passionate about war and killing. As a film major I have seen the videos of countless atrocities. I have witnessed the suffering and gore that these kinds of wars bring on. God help the people that are about to be put under our guns and god help the ones that die on that desert sand. So many of you are eager to go to war. Do not preach what you do not practice. Do not preach about needing war... no one needs such a thing. No one should ever need such a thing. I don't wish war on anyone. I've never been through a war, but I have seen the hardships of such things...and I never want to deal with those images again.

Our government is so eager to goto war...I think it would be a lot different if our government was on the front lines with the rest of our military. It would certainly give them a different perspective and would definately make them a heck of a lot less eager to enter this mess.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
I'm not entirely sure how to respond to that...

I was hoping you'd say:

"But it's not day-time!"

Then I'd follow by saying:

"It is somewhere!"

And then we'd play the laugh track and go to commercial.

Tell you what. Convince me that Saddam Hussain, and if you like Osama bin Laden want peace, and I may change my mind on the war.

Saddam was never and will never be a threat to the USA and Osama and his misguided followers are just some people. Waging war on a country because of some individuals is not terribly effective.

Maybe. But everyone's demanding America to make peace with Saddam and bin Laden. I don't think they would be interested in peace if Powell offered a camel orgy. Okay, seriously, does anyone think either Saddam or bin Laden would be at all interested in peace?

The other countries are not demanding the US to make peace with Saddam, they are demanding America to listen to the United Nations, that they shouldn't wage war without their permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back