• No

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I wish Al Gore were in office

Votes: 16 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by steampunk
I think the trick is to live in so many different countries that you don't identify with anything. Like me :) I'm a citizen of the world!
Well, I'm sorta in the stage where I almost don't identify with anything, but so far this has led to confusion, more than anything else :(.

Originally posted by redwolf
It pains me to say it, I do believe that Palestinians are trouble. I do believe in a state for them, but they are too fanatic for my liking and indeed world security. Even the Jordanians (a fellow Arab nation) are worried. There are now more Palestinians in Jordan than there are Jordanians!

And no, for the hawks on this message board, this does not defeat my argument re Iraq. To me, Hussein is only supporting Palestinians to gain credibility and support from Arab countries.

The problem the Jordanians have is slightly different. Jordan wants peace with Israel. Its very much aware that if Israel ever gets really annoyed, Jordan is a speedbump. Jordan also has a Palestinian population, and said population has, in the past, decided to use Jordan as a base to make attacks on Israel - which as the Lebanese know all too well, is a good way to annoy Israel.
Thus Black September in the late '60s, when the Jordanian military made open moves against the PLO and brutally crushed them.

redwolf: It isnt "palestinians" who are trouble, palestinians are christians, jews, muslims, palestinians as a whole are very moderate and dont want anyone killed, particularily their own children and family is silly attacks. A small minority of palestinians are the "trouble" that you speak of, but even then you are dead wrong, the trouble is the way that whole area has been messed with. IT is such a similar position to when the americans came and took over from the indians.

I'm still waiting for you to back up your claims that soldiers "want to be able to rape, murder, steal, genocide, and commit warcrimes up the wazoo without being held accountable."

Originally posted by Napoleon
A small minority of palestinians are the "trouble" that you speak of, but even then you are dead wrong, the trouble is the way that whole area has been messed with.

so palestinians going into shopping malls and detonating C-4 ISN'T trouble?

I'm still waiting for you to back up your claims that soldiers "want to be able to rape, murder, steal, genocide, and commit warcrimes up the wazoo without being held accountable."

and your gonna keep on waiting, cause he can't back up his claim. hell, i'm still waiting for evidence from him and i can't even remember what the damn issue was

Originally posted by Napoleon
IT is such a similar position to when the americans came and took over from the indians.

Same thing. The Americans returns to form a nation after hundreds of years of Diaspora, and the Indian Nations surrounding the US, Canada and Mexico, refused to recognize its existence. The Indian suicide bombings in the old west were also a big problem. Flawless historical comparison. By flawless, I mean blatantly stupid.

Originally posted by Aries
and your gonna keep on waiting, cause he can't back up his claim. hell, i'm still waiting for evidence from him and i can't even remember what the damn issue was

Well I'm gonna keep riding him on the issue until he can back up his claims or admit he's wrong. Napoleon says that soldiers "want to be able to rape, murder, steal, genocide, and commit warcrimes up the wazoo without being held accountabl," let him back it up if he can.

Read the rules, people. There's one in there about letting moderators do their jobs. It's enough that I have to waste my time editing Napoleon's post without then needing to edit the fifty thousand posts that needlessly responded to what he wrote.

So, you don't really want me to pressure him to back up his claims that soldiers "want to be able to rape, murder, steal, genocide, and commit warcrimes up the wazoo without being held accountable."?

Oh, pressure him all you like, but when he insults someone, don't quote him. You're just giving me more editing work, and they don't pay me for overtime... in fact, they don't pay me at all :p.

Well, Aries is probably right anyway. Even if he could back up his claims that soldiers "want to be able to rape, murder, steal, genocide, and commit warcrimes up the wazoo without being held accountable.", he probably won't. I dare him to though. You hear that Napoleon? I dare you to back up your claims.

Your best bet with napoleon is to simply ignore ANYTHING he posts. It will save you a lot of time, energy, and brain juice. ;)

I'll keep that in mind. I just want to see him try and back up his claims. (There's no need to repeat what he said, is there?) In fact, I might use him as a character in an RPG I'm in. How about the other option, talk about how aliens took him up in their ships and played with his brain? :)

Regarding the idea that the USA has refused to join the international war crimes court on the basis that American soldiers "want to be free to commit war crimes", I think that the actual reason is that the American government wants to maintain deniability. Basically, what I mean is that if a few American soldiers went postal and committed some war crimes, then that would tarnish America's reputation as a whole, and the government doesn't want to face the possibility that a few disobedient soldiers could hurt the whole country's image. Essentially, by staying out of the court, they are saying "you can't lose if you don't play the game".

Uh huh. I see what you're saying. Certainly it doesn't take much to tarnish the reputation of a country in these circumstances. In fact, it really only takes one. And if one soldier has committed war crimes, it's easy to think that all soldiers do. But if you'll bare with me for a sec, that is kind of like saying all Middle Easterns are terrorists, or all people from Argentina are assholes based on the actions of one bully. Or because one African American is found guilty of rape crimes then all niggers are sexual predetors, or all British people are whinging poms. I don't believe in black people being the cause of these problems or Middle Easterns being terrorists, but you can see what I'm saying. People would get a stereotypical view of a paticular race or group of people, such as soldiers. But I highly doubt that people would think that the majority of soldiers do want to commit war crimes, although obviously some do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back