Burn multi-CD (WC) games to DVD?...

you can mount multiple images using DAEMON tools (is it legal to mention that tool? or is that "contraband" information?) I made images of disk 2-5 of KS and mounted all four at the same time.

Unregistered said:
you can mount multiple images using DAEMON tools (is it legal to mention that tool? or is that "contraband" information?) I made images of disk 2-5 of KS and mounted all four at the same time.

There's nothing wrong with mentioning Daemon tools. This entire thread talks about using programs like that. But if you think something you're posting might be against the rules, you need to make that determination before you post about it.

Here is a thought, If i learn more I may try it.

Make the first disk of wc4 a dvd, then make all the other discs subfolders on that dvd. Then change where it looks for disc data to like D:\wc4 disk1\disc 2 and so on.

In theory that should work.

When you change discs, it doesn't pop up a window for you to enter stuff like that. But that's how it would work if you were mounting each directory as a CD-ROM in DOSBox.

Problem solved extract discs to subfolders on one dvd.
Put a version of dosbox on it for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux.
You could play it anywhere. One disc on the go, keeps your original discs safe too.
Hell, dosbox is the furture for wing commander IV, it wont run on vista.

The dos version is the one to have.

~~~

Unregistered said:
Hell, dosbox is the furture for wing commander IV, it wont run on vista.

The dos version is the one to have.

Have you tested that? I agree that the DOS versions are very good to have, but we've also gotten the (Windows) WC4 DVD version to run flawlessly in Vista.

Thats interesting everything I have read said that vista has no 16-bit program support. Is there some sort of extra emulation used?

Nope. WC3 Kilrathi Saga, Prophecy, Secret Ops and other Wing Commander games ran fine too in our testing. I just don't think we tested WC4 for Windows, because we got the DOS versions and Windows DVD ones going. I would expect it to play. I'm pretty sure "16-bit programs" refer to really really old stuff. Things have been 32-bit since the 386 days. And you'll still be able to run 16-bit programs in Vista with stuff like VirtualPC or DOSBox.

looks like the topic is dead but... ;)
is it always required for daemon tools to have the *.iso files copied on hdd before mounting? i have tried burning 5 *.iso discs of wing commander - the kilrathi saga on dvd and then i have mounted them with daemon tools setting my dvd drive as source - i was able to install wc3 (wc 1&2 runs ok), start it, see the intro but when i'm in-game the first and only available 'go to flight deck' crashes the game - when i mount *.iso from my hdd everything is ok. is there a way to play wcks from dvd?

I don't use iso's, just copied the files from all the CD's to a DVD

Here is how I set up the root dir of my ks dvd

DXSETUP (folder)
INSTALL (folder)
WC1 (folder)
WC2 (folder)
WC3INST (folder)
WC4WIN95 (folder)
AUTORUN.INF
CD1MISS.TRE
CD1MOVIE.TRE
CD1MUSIC.TRE -renamed wc3music.tre from disk 2
CD2MISS.TRE
CD2MOVIE.TRE
CD2MUSIC.TRE -renamed wc3music.tre from disk 3
CD3MISS.TRE
CD3MOVIE.TRE
CD3MUSIC.TRE -renamed wc3music.tre from disk 4
CD4MISS.TRE
CD4MOVIE.TRE
CD4MUSIC.TRE -renamed wc3music.tre from disk 5
DSETUP6E.DLL
DSETUP6J.DLL
DSETUP.DLL
DSETUPE.DLL
DSETUPJ.DLL
GAMEFLOW.TRE
INSTALL.TRE
KSAGA.EXE
KSINIT.EXE
MISSIONS.TRE
MOVIES.TRE
OBJECTS.TRE
TMPCD.LST
WC3MUSIC.TRE -this is just a renamed text file "ksaga.exe" seems to need it

then you just have to edit WC3.CON in the wc3inst dir to look like this

CD1
=cd1movie.tre
=movies.tre
=cd1miss.tre
=objects.tre
=missions.tre
=cd1music.tre
=gameflow.tre
CD2
=cd2movie.tre
=movies.tre
=cd2miss.tre
=objects.tre
=missions.tre
=cd2music.tre
=gameflow.tre
CD3
=cd3movie.tre
=movies.tre
=cd3miss.tre
=objects.tre
=missions.tre
=cd3music.tre
=gameflow.tre
CD4
=cd4movie.tre
=movies.tre
=cd4miss.tre
=objects.tre
=missions.tre
=cd4music.tre
=gameflow.tre
NOMORECDS

I have only played a couple of missions so far because of the video crashing problems with WinXP and modern hardware.

Hope this helps:)

"WC3MUSIC.TRE -this is just a renamed text file "ksaga.exe" seems to need it"

create a new file->txt file-> name it wc3music.tre? 0 bytes size empty txt renamed to wc3music.tre?

never mind the last post. i have followed your instructions, created an empty wc3music.tre and burned everything on a dvd+rw and it's working! it's working! :D the game displays 'insert cd#" but a single click seves me from disc swaping :) . long live Mash!!! ;) ...

I'm glad you got it working nowyuser:)
Yes the WC3MUSIC.TRE file is just an empty (0 byte) text file, without it the ksaga installer program would ask me to 'insert cd 2-5' when trying to play.
I have not had an 'insert cd#' error since, I was wondering have you done a fresh install using the dvd?... If not then perhaps the wc3.con file in your install directory has not been updated.

On another note I have found that you can copy the addons 'secret missions' and 'special operations' for wc1 and wc2 to the dvd, and have them install when you install the original games.

This is how.

Install a fresh install of wc1 and wc2, then install the addons for each.
copy the everything from the created wc1 directory to the WC1 directory on the dvd.
Do the same for wc2.

The folders on the dvd should look like this

WC1 folder-

GAMEDAT
STREAMS
sm1.exe
sm2.exe
transfer.exe
WC1.EXE
wing1.exe
WINGCMDR.CFG

WC2 folder-

GAMEDAT
STREAMS
so1.exe
so2.exe
WC2.CFG
WC2.EXE
Wing2.exe

You can now install and play from the Ksaga installer by clicking 'Install Wing 1' or 'Install Wing 2'.

And their you have it. The whole Kilrathi Saga on one disk:)

"insert cd#"
when the game pops up 'insert cd#' i only need one mouse click to continue. after that the game reads everything from dvd perfectly - it's a simple "one-mouse-click-interruption" - no big deal ;).
"one dvd=full ks"
wow!
i also have the whole ks on one dvd but the installation goes with more mouse clicking for so & sm (install wc1 & wc2 from the saga installation menu->install so $ sm from seperate folders) but thanks to you i am very happy anyway :D

This is cool.:D I'm saving it for later when I have time. Now if only some one can figure out a way to replace the WC3 video clips with the higher quality ones of the 3DO (IIRC).
Can we do this for the WC4 DVD double sided disk? That would be great too.:cool:

Can we do this for the WC4 DVD double sided disk? That would be great too.:cool:

Er, as far as i remember (didnt bring the wc4 double sided dvd with me to uni) there should be no issue here other than that you need to burn the stuff onto a dual-layer dvd - which could cause problems.

If you can do that ok, then the most you should have to do is modify the equivalent .con file on the dvd and possiblY rename the tre files where necessary.

However, video data is stored differently on the double sided dvd as it is proper vobs (im pretty sure) rather than the XAN videos stored in the tres on the discs and single sided dvd version. for those you'd just need to rename the movie files and change the con. for the vobs they might (but i doubt) have the same names.

if they do, youre screwed, if they dont then there will be some overlapping in for instance the "youre a traitor" videos but otherwise should be good.

as i say, dont have my copy with me or i'd test but if you have one go for it :)

ps to save dvds make the new iso in magiciso or nero image recorder and then mount it in daemontools to test it

Er, as far as i remember (didnt bring the wc4 double sided dvd with me to uni) there should be no issue here other than that you need to burn the stuff onto a dual-layer dvd - which could cause problems.

If you can do that ok, then the most you should have to do is modify the equivalent .con file on the dvd and possiblY rename the tre files where necessary.

However, video data is stored differently on the double sided dvd as it is proper vobs (im pretty sure) rather than the XAN videos stored in the tres on the discs and single sided dvd version. for those you'd just need to rename the movie files and change the con. for the vobs they might (but i doubt) have the same names.

if they do, youre screwed, if they dont then there will be some overlapping in for instance the "youre a traitor" videos but otherwise should be good.

as i say, dont have my copy with me or i'd test but if you have one go for it :)

ps to save dvds make the new iso in magiciso or nero image recorder and then mount it in daemontools to test it

Every scene is it's own VOB in a VOB directory. Overlapping videos have the same name (ex: sc_1001.vob etc) Some files are already the same as the CD version thoug.. For exampke music1.tre, 2, 3 are on one side and 4,5,6 on the other.

Back