Bringing back the cockpits in SO & WC4

Buddha

Spaceman
Hey, I don't want to start an argument for and against the classic cockpit view of WC 1-3 where you could see your hand on the stick. But I would like to find out how possible it would be or what it would involve to bring those cockpits back in a mod of SO or even WC4.

Would it be possible to extract the graphics from, say, WC3 and just plug them in? And do we know how to go about making our own?

Thanks!

I guess it's possible, in the way that anything's possible with enough effort. You might be able to fake up proper cockpits using the strut models... but the joystick would be somewhat painful. You'd need to watch the input, insert a new model on screen and manipulate the model. Modifying existing things or working around and redirecting things is one thing, adding new components is another thing entirely.

You could even make the cockpits as flat bitmaps, the way they were in WC1-3. Of course, in that case, you wouldn't be able to switch them off. But the hand on the stick, if you wanted to animate it, would probably be even harder to implement than TC suggests - unless the strut model could be brought to the foreground, in front of the bitmaps, in which case the rest of the cockpit would be a bitmap, and the hand would be a 3d model implemented as the cockpit struts (since they move when you turn).

Originally posted by Quarto
and the hand would be a 3d model implemented as the cockpit struts (since they move when you turn).

Yeah... but how would you go about anchoring the base? The struts all move at once, they don't rotate about a point.

Okay, how about this:

You make the cockpit image, say in Photoshop or whatever. Then you determine where the animated hand is going to be, and cut the entire image into smaller pieces so that the area needed for the hand animation gets its own piece in which a few different images could be loaded frame by frame to accomplish the animation.

Would that work?

Thanks

That wouldn't work, because we have no way of checking for the ship's movement and translating that movement into animations.

--Eder

Originally posted by Quarto
You could even make the cockpits as flat bitmaps, the way they were in WC1-3. Of course, in that case, you wouldn't be able to switch them off...
Hey, how do you figure that?... I mean, in WC 3 you could toggle 'em on & off (not to mention in 1 & 2 WC:KS)...

Because in WCP, you can't switch off the bitmap portions of the cockpit. Comparisons to WC3 are kinda pointless, you know :p.

Back