BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander I & II on GOG! (August 25, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
As promised earlier in the week, GOG has released the next games in their 25-title deal with Electronic Arts. They are: Dungeon Keeper 2... and a two-pack of Wing Commander I & II! That's two of the greatest games ever made--arguably the two greatest games ever made--for just $5.99. Both games are DRM-free and configured to work properly in a modern Windows environment. This is the DOS version of the game and extras include both manuals, reference cards, the Wing Commander I blueprints and a scan of Origin's internal series bible!

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that this is the best possible news we could be reporting today. Be sure and check the CIC later today, as we'll be celebrating the release of these games the only way we know how... with our own extra features on the history of these two incredible titles! In the mean time, pick up your copy of the original Wing Commanders... and codes to share with your family and friends!

--
Original update published on August 25, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
I got really excited when i read this so much so that im working my way through WC 1 right now, just a quick question I have only ever played this game on the amiga was the sound always not as good? as when I fire my guns sounds like a bell ringing or maybe something wrong with my install?

Expansions are not included, though the text implies otherwise (for WC1 at least). I don't even know, if the Speech Pack is included in WC2.

The expansions are not included, but I don't think that will last for long. ;)

On another note, I'm inviting anyone who is around to a release party on #wingnut today. Now a lot of us won't be on till later today, but feel free to swing by and bask in the new releases.

Ah.... Shouldn't this page be rampaging with posts of sheer joy and exultation! The post count is disappointing!

It's early!

But it's VERY exciting!

... the bad news is I'm going to have to come up with a million updates for some other games soon, too. :)

Regardless as to what the start of year poll says, 2011 has been a great year for Wing Commander.

This is possibly the most exciting update I've seen since I joined the CIC. Outstanding news, I'm going outside now to do a little dance. Credit should go to where it's due - not only GoG but the CIC staff for keeping the fanbase alive and giving Wing Commander the press it deserves right into the 21st century.

I got really excited when i read this so much so that im working my way through WC 1 right now, just a quick question I have only ever played this game on the amiga was the sound always not as good? as when I fire my guns sounds like a bell ringing or maybe something wrong with my install?
I have the original WCI running in DosBox... in comparison the GOG WCI sound is really poor. It's like I'm ringing the doorbell every time I fire my Hornets lasers! Anyone else experiencing this?

Regardless as to what the start of year poll says, 2011 has been a great year for Wing Commander.

This is possibly the most exciting update I've seen since I joined the CIC. Outstanding news, I'm going outside now to do a little dance. Credit should go to where it's due - not only GoG but the CIC staff for keeping the fanbase alive and giving Wing Commander the press it deserves right into the 21st century.

Hear hear!

Posted to the wrong thread.

Well, shouts of joy from me are guaranteed. Really cool, can't wait to download and play them.

I cant find the cfg file that is mentioned maybe the problem is i dont have it?
On my system (64 bit) its: C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Wing Commander 1 and 2\WC\WINGCMDR.CFG. The WC2 file should be in: C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Wing Commander 1 and 2\WC2\wc2.cfg

Back