BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander Arrives On GameTap (April 6, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Very exciting early morning news from mEISdAVIDp: the original DOS Wing Commander has been added to the GameTap service! The game is currently available as a week-early 'Easter Egg'. It can be found by searching for "Tiger Claw", which brings up not only the ability to play the game in modern Windows but also gives access to some detailed information about its history. This release comes as a big surprise all around -- hopefully the promised addition of Privateer to the service is getting closer...

--
Original update published on April 6, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Very exciting early morning news from mEISdAVIDp: the original DOS Wing Commander has been added to the GameTap service! The game is currently available as a week-early 'Easter Egg'. It can be found by searching for "Tiger Claw", which brings up not only the ability to play the game in modern Windows but also gives access to some detailed information about its history. This release comes as a big surprise all around -- hopefully the promised addition of Privateer to the service is getting closer...
--
Original update published on April 6, 2007
KICK-ASS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So if the copy protection is intact, I'm assuming this is the original, midi and shrieking fighters version? Man, I miss the noise the fighters made when they flew by.

Oooh, you must have had a Soundblaster.

My cousins didn't have a sound card for the longest time... (our PC had an ad-lib) so my nostalgia is connected to the PC speaker sounds....

Oooh, you must have had a Soundblaster.

Hehehe, yep! I remember Wing Commander made our 286 chug like crazy. The 486 we got in 1993 was great, it was fast, it had a cd drive and a sound blaster. By far, my favorite computer of all time. Wing Commander, Strike Commander, Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, Silent Service II, Command & Conquer... Oh man, the memories.

One of the fans died in 1996 and the motherboard melted, destroying the sound card, just days after I got the upgrade to 8mb of memory so I could play Wing Commander III. I played Wing Commanders III and IV without a sound card until we got a new computer in 2000.

Precious gaming memories! :D

I think Hades' was able to use one of our accounts from England (you get several accounts when you sign up, and can use two at once).

That may be true, but you cant sign up from outside the US or Canada:

We apologize but the GameTap service is currently only available in the United States and Canada. The GameTap service will be expanding into additional countries in 2007 but no release dates are available at this time.

Ah well. Its not as if my old copy of WC1 is impossible to run.

Damn, I really want to give my moneys to Gametap, but they don't want it!
They have a LOT of very good games. A lot.

Has anyone been able to get this to work with a USB joystick?

I signed up for Gametap this afternoon and got ready to frag some Kilrathi for the first time in fifteen years, only to find that the flight stick connected to my computer didn't work. I tried their customer support, but they just told me that some games don't support joysticks.

The Nostromo pad works just fine, but I can't find a spot in Gametap that allows you to turn on the joystick. So are we doomed to have our favorite game without being able to play it the way we all remember and love? :-p (playing with the mouse or keyboard just isn't an option imo)

Should work. However, while windows has this sophisticated controller management, many games just use the first controller in the list. Theres a program out there called 'JoyIDs', which will let you put the flightstick to the top of the list. With any luck, the game will then recognise it.

Should work. However, while windows has this sophisticated controller management, many games just use the first controller in the list. Theres a program out there called 'JoyIDs', which will let you put the flightstick to the top of the list. With any luck, the game will then recognise it.

Yeah, if you have a nostromo plugged in at the same time, then that might be forcing out the regular joystick. Try to unplug as many USB devices as possible first.

The instructions do say you can use a flight stick, however, GameTap has a joystick setup area that seems to be missing for Wing Commander. Under Controls, some games have an Edit Controllers button where you specify keyboard/mouse/gamepad/joystick/etc. They might need to add this before your stick is supported.

Also thanks to Jason R Shockleboo who reported this news after we started working on the update, but before we posted it.

For clarification, the Edit Controllers section only applies to emulated games, that is console games such as the multitude of old Sega Genesis games Gametap offers. Any of you guys tried Uru yet, btw? I can't recommend it enough.

Back