BREAKING NEWS: The Commander is Back! (August 12, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
The third part of the G4 Wing Commander retrospective is now available and it contains some very exciting news--Chris Roberts is ready to come back to gaming and he wants to do a new Wing Commander! Let's get this in production, EA!

"I definitely want to do another Wing Commander, and I have a very specific vision for it," Roberts said. "I'm looking at the games being made now and I go 'Yeah, they're really cool, and there's some really great stuff,' but I think I could come back and push the boundaries of cinematic storytelling again. I'm looking at some of the stuff that's been done and it's sort of, in my eyes anyway, falling short, and it's not because of the technology. It's falling short because of how it's been done."

'I made Wing Commander because it was the game I wanted to play," Roberts told me. "I didn't make Wing Commander because I said 'Oh, this is something that's going to sell a lot of units,' or 'there's a gap in the marketplace,' it was just 'I want this experience.' The time where I could feel like I'm ready to engage in something is always when I have a personal feeling that 'Okay, I want to go and make a game that gives me this experience.' I feel re-energized, and I think I can come back... and push forward parts of the industry in terms of narrative and cinematic storytelling."
Just yesterday we spoke to Richard Garriott, who praised Chris Roberts' ability to simply sit down and envision an amazing game. It really sounds like he had something new and spectacular in mind. You can read the full interview here.

--
Original update published on August 12, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exciting news! If Chris Roberts wants to do another Wing Commander game, this very well might convince EA to give him a team and let him do it.

In the words of a certain older sister on Dexter's Laboratory:

"OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY!"

I'd love to see a new Wing Commander by Chris Roberts. I wonder which setting it'll have. I'd like to see something set between Action Stations and WC1, between the games or set after Secret Ops or even after Arena.

I just hope, that this is NOT going to be a steam client game, which is only supported a couple of years and will be unplayable in 5 to 10 years.. you know what I mean..

The last few years have definitely been the time for re-imagining fiction, why not Wing Commander too! I sincerely hope though that he is able to really convey his vision.

in a week of fantastic, read FANTASTIC news, this really takes it to a whole new level.. it may be a while before I come down off the awesome high I am riding.

For 15 years we've kept the faith since he left EA (and Wing Commander) to start Digital Anvil. This is what a real community does - we've kept Wing Commander alive, and now its time to do great things again.

I am also encouraged by this news... but I have to wonder - will EA grant Chris Roberts the rights to do another Wing Commander? EA still holds the rights to the franchise, don't they? And Chris Roberts does undoubtedly have a great reputation in the games industry... but his visions often require huge funding to implement - will EA be willing to take that financial risk?

I really don't mean to be a Doomsday - I am excited as any of you that Chris Roberts has publicly stated he wants to return to gaming and to Wing Commander specifically. That is one thing, I'm just worried that EA won't be willing to give him another chance.

to quote a favorite character from a more favorite movie:

Oddball: "Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "

Kelly's Heroes is da bomb!

Wow this sure is exciting news. There are still a lot of ifs and whens and stuff, but boy...

Oh my god! Please let it all come true!

I'd give my left testicle for it! I don't need that to get back into the cockpit again!!
:)

Yes please Mr.Roberts! Its been too long that the gaming seen has been dominated by shooters.

I am also encouraged by this news... but I have to wonder - will EA grant Chris Roberts the rights to do another Wing Commander? EA still holds the rights to the franchise, don't they? And Chris Roberts does undoubtedly have a great reputation in the games industry... but his visions often require huge funding to implement - will EA be willing to take that financial risk?

I really don't mean to be a Doomsday - I am excited as any of you that Chris Roberts has publicly stated he wants to return to gaming and to Wing Commander specifically. That is one thing, I'm just worried that EA won't be willing to give him another chance.

I think this is only a matter of time really. Chris has had the option of doing a TV show and/or another movie since he left EA. And EA's main hesitation with the WC franchise is that they didn't feel they could do another WC title without Chris Roberts (for whatever reason). But they wanted him to hire on, not work on contract. If Chris really wants to do this, I would imagine that it's just a matter of getting everyone to sit down at the table and work out the details.

Back