BREAKING NEWS: Rumors of New Wing Commander (January 27, 2008)

*Crosses fingers* Oh please please please please please please.

If it is a new Wing Commnader game I can't see it not coming out on the PC. However I wouldn't be surprised if it turned up on the consoles - PS3 included.

I bought a dual-core with a 8600gts plus a Xbox 360 about half a year ago. Albeit the computer is dated already, but hell, if I need to upgrade it for a new WC, I probably will (despite the fact that I'm now flat broke.)

Oh, and I hear Surfer Girl is usually correct about these type of rumors...
*Keeps on crossing fingers*

They'd have to do the controls right - tricky under the best conditions - but it could be done. If they'd also support the Ace Combat 6 controllers, that'd make Howie a very happy boy.
Glee!
Indeed. If it was 360 only, that probably would push me over the edge to the point where I would buy a 360, WC, and AC6 along with it. That said, I would still rather have it on PC where I'm already fully equipped with the hardware.

LOAF is absolutely right in stating that there's not much money to be made with a PC-only release - but the SOP is to try for as many platforms at the same time as possible.

I just reread my post... to be clear "no inside knowledge of what console this is for" was *not* my being coy -- it was my choosing the wrong word. I have no inside knowledge about what systems this will be for. I really honestly do want a PC port... like someone else already said, I dearly want a reason to build an amazing new PC, which is something I haven't had since 1997. And hey, that's the culture Wing Commander created in the first place...

There's all sorts of models we could look at -- C&C3 is an obvious one, which brought back the series to the PC (its original home) and the Xbox 360 (where it could turn a real profit.) At the same time, EA's similarly-stealth-developed The Simpsons Game blitz was everything *except* the PC... so who knows? We just don't know enough yet...

(But take a moment to indulge your imagination and dream of buying Wing Commander for as many as eight platforms on the same day... this is going to be good!)

That LOAF misquoted the article in his post?

LOAF: "That epic space game from EA [referring to an earlier rumor] is a new Wing Commander."
Original: "That epic space game from EA is not a new Wing Commander, but a new Wing Commander is in development."

Still, I am _very_ excited about this. Like the others, I dearly want this for the PC- I don't own any current-gen consoles, and I'd be willing to tone down the effects until I could scrap together the money to upgrade my graphics AGAIN (I'm still waiting on a replacement for the card I ordered at the beginning of the year). I honestly can't see how else we'll control it- but hey, something is better than nothing, especially if it's a Wing Commander something!

My bad- I wasn't trying to accuse you of being openly malicious or anything, but I guess you're in the clear either way.

Am I shaking of excitement or of Mountain Dew?

The original blog has been edited since it was first posted.

Yeay, someone in the talkback reminded her that she had said previously in the talkback of the earlier rumor that the earlier rumor wasn't a WC game, but that likely EA was also developing a WC game. So she edited the post to clarify that there are actually two space games in development by EA, one of which she is confirming is a Wing Commander title.

EDIT: And you guys who say this will be a poor year for wing commander in the poll can stop being pessimists.

That's what I've been saying - people should have seen from 2006 and 2007 that things change very quickly.

Yeay, someone in the talkback reminded her that she had said previously in the talkback of the earlier rumor that the earlier rumor wasn't a WC game, but that likely EA was also developing a WC game. So she edited the post to clarify that there are actually two space games in development by EA, one of which she is confirming is a Wing Commander title.

Our update is updated now to reflect the change, thanks.

Oh, and I hear Surfer Girl is usually correct about these type of rumors...
*Keeps on crossing fingers*

Sadly, I'd estimate that any new WC title currently in development would probably be a Christmas 09 release. Or, at least, it wouldn't be any time in 08.

Of course, I'd love to be wrong about that.

Sadly, I'd estimate that any new WC title currently in development would probably be a Christmas 09 release. Or, at least, it wouldn't be any time in 08.

As excruciating as the wait for Arena was (and magnified by the nature of XBLA release dates being established just a week in advance), those weeks and months in the run up to July 25 were super fun and exciting. Of course everyone wants to actually play new games, but there's an electricity in the air knowing that something new is coming.

Of course, I'd love to be wrong about that.

I don't think video games can have 30-month development cycles anymore.

As Chris said... when you think about the sheer amounts of MONEY it takes to explore new I.P.s or new implementations of older I.P.s, the fact that EA has tried to resurrect/expand Wing Commander a number of times in the last decade should tell you that they see a SIGNIFICANT opportunity. The size and vigor of this community and the fan-mod games out there are other things that they obviously monitor.

It's like that show "Man, Moment, Machine" illustrates, it's the confluence of money, market, innovation, creative content, and capability. Chris and Ben can tell this story FAR more eloquently than I can, but WC and WCII were transformative games. Not just in the software sense, but in the HARDWARE sense. They established benchmarks for sound, video, RAM, processor, DOS configuration (L-O-L) and forced EVERYTHING and EVERYONE to take a big step forward.

When you think about it, the Wing Commander universe is a rich playground for anything from an MMORPG to a first person flight sim to a first person shooter to a tactical/strategic game.

What if EA were to take something along the lines of a Rainbow Six (forgive me if that's ignorant, I'm invoking the type of game, not the specific game/publisher) game where you work as an intelligence operative trying to infiltrate various Kilrathi outposts or shipyards?

What if they revived a Privateer model set in a different location of the WC Universe...what about one that followed an X-Wing or X-Wing Alliance arc with you joining Confed, proving yourself, and fighting through until you're in the midst of a gargantuan battle?

The sky's the limit (or not, as the case may be ;-) )!

There's all sorts of models we could look at -- C&C3 is an obvious one, which brought back the series to the PC (its original home) and the Xbox 360 (where it could turn a real profit.) At the same time, EA's similarly-stealth-developed The Simpsons Game blitz was everything *except* the PC... so who knows? We just don't know enough yet...

Well, C&C3 has a very healthy cult following on the PC. It may not have sold as well as it did for the 360, but it sold. The die hards have kept C&C alive for a long time with their mods and other gadgets, and now with a new game will be able to continue on fresh. Bringing it to the PC, spending the money on HD cinematics, getting Kucan back, etc, I think had more to do with that fandom than anything else.

The Simpsons on the other hand isn't a PC franchise with a PC cult following. It's a TV show. They really had no obligation to release it to the PC.

I think the presence of the CIC and its members alone will probably sell a PC release in addition to the consoles. After all they went way out of their way to appease us with Arena and Star*Soldier, more than I've ever heard of before. I'm not holding my breath on a PC release, but it seems that EA is very concerned about its fans' approval, more than they need to be.

If not, hopefully they'll have a PS3 release, as I've been told there might be one in my future.

They do not - hardcore fans are not a base you can base your bottom line on. We're a few thousand people compared to the million(s) who need to pick up the game to be profitable.

That's what you folks don't understand... it's absoluutely mind-blowing that they gave us so thought with regards to Arena's little details -- because we *don't* matter. It's one of the reasons I get so damn angry when I see you people being juiceboxes about this stuff.

My biggest hope is that Sean Penney is associated with this thing -- he was the producer on Arena who absolutely insisted that the correct continuity stuff be developed for the game.

If this turns out to be true then it’s wonderful news.

Hopefully it will be a big budget game with an amazing story, but I would be happy with even another wc academy.

Hopefully it will be a big budget game with an amazing story, but I would be happy with even another wc academy.

Just think about the kind of fancy Wing Commander Academy equivalent they could do today. All you mod people would go crazy. Stuff like multiplayer would be a given. They could make an awesome Academy handbook/textbook manual.

Unless the name of the video game is "Too Human"...in which case it has a ten-year development cycle.

And the greastest achievement in animation took 30 years. Some things are worth the wait.

Back