BREAKING NEWS: Rumors of New Wing Commander (January 27, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Surfer Girl Reviews Star Wars, a credible and industry-respected game rumor blog, is reporting something that we've all been waiting to hear: "That epic space game from EA [referring to an earlier rumor] is a new Wing Commander." This is only a rumor at this stage, so we do not want to overstate anything. It does match some other unofficial talk heard in recent days -- this could be the big one. Surfer Girl does seem to be the real deal - we can confirm that the information she posted on FreeLancer 2 several months ago is absolutely genuine. The original report is here. Thanks to Hexx for reporting this!

--
Original update published on January 27, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Any rumour involving the words epic and Wing Commander is cause for a heart attack... but since dying before release would kind of defeat the point I'm going to go on a healthy heart friendly diet!

Wooo!

Oh, wow, do you not have an Xbox? I only ask because I've only seen you post this same thing 9,000 times.

I hope for a cross-platform release. Certainly, the greater exposure and accessibility that comes with a console release is too valuable for the series to pass up... but being able to afford an Xbox aside, some part of me still wants the option to play WC with a keyboard. Old habits die very hard ;)

I hope for a cross-platform release. Certainly, the greater exposure and accessibility that comes with a console release is too valuable for the series to pass up... but being able to afford an Xbox aside, some part of me still wants the option to play WC with a keyboard. Old habits die very hard ;)

Give me a flightstick, mouse, wiimote, ds stylus, give me gamepad with auto-leveling (the Rogue Squadron/ Starfighter games were the only ones I ever mastered with a gamepad), but I might not be best pleased if the keyboard were revealed to be the input method of choice. :cool:
For platform its hard to know what I'd most enjoy without knowing the direction, but I'm guessing those in the know are betting on 360?

The comparison to Mass Effect was an interesting one, could it imply talk of exapnding the gameplay out of the cockpit?

Comparison with Mass Effect... say, didn't the purchase of Bioware give EA an Austin-based studio run by Wing Commander veterans? Just sayin'.

I don't have any inside knowledge as to what console this thing is for -- but I think common sense says to expect an Xbox version, just because of the amount of money you'd need to make back.

I'm not intentionally hating on the PC in all this -- I would love more than anything to see a new WC game for the PC. It just doesn't necessarily jive with how games can make money today.

... but I'll buy any and every system that it comes out on, that's for sure.

WOOOO-HOOOOO
I hope. I guess I can scrap my plan then.
EDIT: And you guys who say this will be a poor year for wing commander in the poll can stop being pessimists.

Y'know, a WC game on the Wii could actually be very interesting, if done correctly. The wimote could use its accelerometer and thus double quite nicely as a flight stick, and the nunchuck could use its accelerometer to function as a throttle. And the thumbstick on the nunchuck would work wonderfully for rolling.

Either way, I would like to see it across many platforms, but my main concern is this: The trend these days is for any sort of flight sim to be third person, which works well for many games, but I'd really prefer a full-fledged WC game to be inside the cockpit. And, considering the advancement in RPG games these days, I'd assume that a healthy RPG element could easily be involved (that is, interraction with others, not the turn based combat).

And, since the WC name is so legendary, it's easily feasible that there could be a flightstick/throttle/pedals combination released, either by microsoft or some third party, to go along with an Xbox 360/ps3 release.

Of course, this is all in the actual event that the rumor is true, and we're not getting excited over nothing.

Either way, there's still a Ghostbusters game coming out this october, so I'm gonna be a happy guy, either way.

The Wii doesn't strike me as being the ideal market for a new Wing Commander. Everyone I know who owns a Wii owns it because they like to flail their arms in the air while they pretend to fish, hunt deer, or do other activities that they also do in their real lives. Or, alternatively, they own it because their girlfriend/wife wanted it so they could flail their arms about.

The PS3 and 360 seem to contain a better target audience, as the PS3 carries many "epic" franchises full of CG cenematics and whatnot, and the 360 is the action gamer's system. Of course, if they make a version for the 360 they'll most likely also have a PC version. At a glance the 360 sounds like a mini-PC, and the number of 360 titles ported (or launched) to the PC suggests that there's little work involved, at least compared to all other consoles.

Being an EA game i'm sure that will be created for PC, XBOX360 and PS3.

LOAF: do you have any info besides that rumour?, even if you can't share at least say a ''Yes''

As a guy who often develops for EA...If there is a new WC game in all likelyhood they'll try and make it cross-platform. I can't remember the last game they worked on that was single-platform, and most of the current ongoing projects that I know of average PS3, 360, and PC. A few try and throw the Wii in there too, but that is really dependant on the type of game. LOAF is absolutely right in stating that there's not much money to be made with a PC-only release - but the SOP is to try for as many platforms at the same time as possible.
Of course, all I have is speculation. They may indeed decide to go with a console-only release - that's fine! I'd willingly and lovingly play a new WC game on my 360! They'd have to do the controls right - tricky under the best conditions - but it could be done. If they'd also support the Ace Combat 6 controllers, that'd make Howie a very happy boy.
Glee!

Ahahahahahahaha yes!!! I'm hoping its for the PC...just because I need to upgrade my computer and I can find no better reason then for a new WC game. I remember way back in 1995 being so excited because our new Pentium I had a CD drive that I could play WC3 in.

The Wii doesn't strike me as being the ideal market for a new Wing Commander. Everyone I know who owns a Wii owns it because they like to flail their arms in the air while they pretend to fish, hunt deer, or do other activities that they also do in their real lives. Or, alternatively, they own it because their girlfriend/wife wanted it so they could flail their arms about.

The Wii is a funny old system, most developers and publishers alike initially dismissed it and as a result there are few titles which scored over 80%, the majority of those which did are Nintendo titles, not a fair guage of the more mature audience. However Resident Evil 4, which was a 2 year old port, passed the 1 million mark, Red Steel, which got horrible reviews again passed the 1 million mark, and Guitar Hero 3 surely has too.

Add to this:
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/847/847472p1.html

I'm not saying that the same percentage of Wii's user base would be open to Wing Commander as that of the PS3 or 360, but with 18million systems out there if multi-platform is the future don't dismiss the Wii as a legitimate way to expand the audience. I have faith the Wii could offer a very easily accessible space combat control scheme.

As for what platform I'd like to see it on? PC: I will always consider a flightstick the most enjoyable way to control a space combat title, and it would mean the modding community had fresh meat :)

As for 3rd person: I just pulled out Rogue Leader, its much easier to play in 3rd person, so I would actually be pro 3rd person for a console release. With a flightstick 1st person really puts you in the cockpit so to speak, but otherwise I have no issue with 3rd person. I do take back my earlier comment about auto-levelling, its useful on ground missions but in space missions where there should be no down its unnecessary and even annoying.

It would be fantastic if Bioware were developing it, just having that name attatched would mean big time exposure for the franchise.

Doesn't Bioware have some unannounced new project for EA? I know they have something with Lucasarts.

BTW my brother just got Blazing Angels for the Wii. I'll play it and get back to you on how it control with the Wiimote.

Doesn't Bioware have some unannounced new project for EA? I know they have something with Lucasarts.

BTW my brother just got Blazing Angels for the Wii. I'll play it and get back to you on how it control with the Wiimote.

Yeah, I was just told as much, maybe a shift of the odd member of personell? :)

I just read the review of Blazing Angels, doesn't sound like they did a great job of it (http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/775/775280p1.html). Heatseeker showed early promise to me.

It's About Time. :D

Now, theoretically I can't play console games. But not being able to play 2 new WC games would be so frustrating that I might be able to find a way if I put my mind into it. Might.

Back