BREAKING NEWS: EA Replay Officially Announced! (August 31, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
It's the news you knew to expect: Electronic Arts has officially confirmed that EA Replay is coming for the PSP system!

GameSpot has posted the announcement here. It includes some exciting new information, including the fact that the package has been in development at EA Canada and that players will be able to "unlock retro game art". Best of all, it reveals an amazing pricepoint: $19.99.

Two screenshots are already available (below) - they confirm that the game will use the full resolution of the PSP, 480x272. The set will be released as previously suspected on November 7th. I'm glad I picked up a PSP yesterday!

--
Original update published on August 31, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
SWEET! Fantastic official confirmation to some eagerly anticipated news. Kinda funny that the screenshots show the pilot shooting at confed ships. :)

This is great news for the WC community. Wing Commander has not been forgotten!

Also, why are the laser bursts not orange?

Different ports have different colored laser bolts -- these look the same as the SNES port (with a different aspect ratio).

Is it just me or do those pictures just look a little stretched? Almost like they just took the native 320x240 and stretched them horizontally?

Yes, as I said in both the original news post and the post you just replied to, the PSP has a different aspect ratio than an ordinary TV or PC monitor.

>How many games from 1990 still look this good?

Only ones I can even think of are Silent Service 2, Star Control and Lemmings.
And compared to WC those games look like ass.

Bandit LOAF said:
Yes, as I said in both the original news post and the post you just replied to, the PSP has a different aspect ratio than an ordinary TV or PC monitor.

Ah, well even with the stretching it still looks good. It's going to be great on the PSP widescreen format.

infinite said:
Let's all tell EA the only reason we buy sony products is because of WC.

I don't think they'll care too much about that, but you can let them know you bought EA Replay because of the Wing Commander titles.

Maj.Striker said:
Ah, well even with the stretching it still looks good. It's going to be great on the PSP widescreen format.

Nah, looks like only the HUD is stretched. The laser bolts look perfectly round. Makes you wonder how other games will be adapted to the PSP's aspect ratio though.

hurleybird said:
Nah, looks like only the HUD is stretched. The laser bolts look perfectly round. Makes you wonder how other games will be adapted to the PSP's aspect ratio though.

Oops, sorry about that. On closer inspection it I can see that everything is stretched.

Also, if you look close enough you can see a slight graphical glitch. Horizontal black lines at the edge of the 'view screen'.

Back