BREAKING NEWS: Arena Pricing Announced (May 25, 2007)

BTW: yesterday I was told that a friend of mine bought himself a XBox360. Now, are the Arena multiplayer maps only available over the internet or are they also accessible when playing WLAN against another XBox?

Probably just playable through XBox Live. If you both have XBox Live (Gold) Accounts, you can play in the same room with each other if you're both connected to the internet.

Too bad - but it was a slim hope anyway.
I'll try to do as you said, problem is that friend is no WC player, he's more into sports games. On the other hand, he's rather open so I guess I can talk him into trying Arena out.
I'll see him saturday and then I'll play XBox 360 for the first time in my life, woohoo!

Here's hoping that WCA the 3rd is successful enough to warrant new games (hell, I'll take rereleases on the 360 Live Arcade).
EA your starting to rekindle that old feeling, now hit me with some Privateer love and I'll be very happy.

There's still a good chance that Privateer will be rereleased via GameTap. That would be an opportunity for them to gauge how popular that is. Arena's focus on the frontiers could work really well as a Privateer game, but EA ended up wanting to go with the main brand in this case.

There's still a good chance that Privateer will be rereleased via GameTap. That would be an opportunity for them to gauge how popular that is. Arena's focus on the frontiers could work really well as a Privateer game, but EA ended up wanting to go with the main brand in this case.

Yeah... It seems odd that they announced privateer for gametap ages ago and instead WC1 showed up on the service out of the blue. So seemingly they still intend to put Privateer on Gametap too but they might be waiting to see how much people play WC1 on the service.

Hey, if you have an XBox Live account already, you can make your gamertag picture/points/games show up under your Crius.net username by filling in the GamerTag field in the user control panel profile.

does anyone know if there's going to be actual gamerpoints to be achieved in arena? i'm an arcade rookie really!

Absolutely! Every Arcade game has 200 points available to it. This is how Arena's will break down: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2778

Hot Dog: Complete each Ring Game difficulty level. (20 points)

Commando: Earned Commando Tattoo (15 Frags in a Melee Match). (10 points)

Dogfight: Shot down first pilot in an Xbox Live game. (10 points)

Ace: Defeat 5 ships in a Ranked Xbox Live match without respawning. (20 points)

Untouchable: Reach wave 10 in Gauntlet without ever taking damage to your hull. (20 points)

TCS Tiger’s Claw: Compete in a 16-player Capital Ship game. (10 points)

Hibernation: Reach a streak of 5 in a Bearpit game. (20 points)

Gunfighter: Win a Ranked Duel with each ship type. (20 points)

Navigator: Travel through every gold jump gate in the game. (10 points)

Retro: Reach wave 20 in Meteor Storm. (10 points)

Paladin: Shoot down 1000 pilots on Xbox Live. (30 points)

Deathstroke: Finish in first place in any Ranked Free-for-All match. (20 points)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone heard anything about WC:Arena coming on PC? It just seems to be a waste to spend £270 on a console, who knows how much for a good TV and have to start paying a TV license, all for a £6 game.

well you could always buy other titles besides to make it more worthwhile.

in addition to points, it'd be a pretty good idea to be awarded ranks which show up on screen the more you progress

Has anyone heard anything about WC:Arena coming on PC? It just seems to be a waste to spend £270 on a console, who knows how much for a good TV and have to start paying a TV license, all for a £6 game.

There has been no suggestion of a PC port. We'll let everyone know the moment that changes.

well you could always buy other titles besides to make it more worthwhile.

I've talked with a bunch of people who have bought 360s since February, and while most of them bought it just for Arena, they've already found a bunch of neat games that they wouldn't have otherwise played.

in addition to points, it'd be a pretty good idea to be awarded ranks which show up on screen the more you progress

Ranks are sort of in there. The multiplayer modes have both ranked and unranked variants, and 360 games with a ranked mode utilize a "trueskill score." So people will have a number or something assigned to them based on their performance. Instead of being for show, it's primarily used for automatically putting you up against people of similar skill level, but people in many games use them for bragging rights as well. Defeating people ranked higher than you increases your score, not so much for defeating people classified below you. And this is all just in addition to regular achievements and killboards that will be part of the game - and those are for show.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/features/nextgenmatchmaking.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trueskill_Rankings
http://research.microsoft.com/displayArticle.aspx?id=1361

the game looks really good and i honestly can't wait for it.

i'd love to the original WCs released via live arcade also

Games remain in a holding pattern going through certification and testing until just before they're released. Concrete dates for XBox Live Arcade games aren't generated until the game is about a week away. This week's Arcade game is Prince of Persia.

You don't actually need a TV.. you can get a VGA cable for the xbox 360 and just run it in to a regular PC monitor. If it doesn't have a tuner, you don't need a licence.

just a pre-game thought to give a rough guide as to who is going to be best...

who has completed all the games on nightmare? well that could only be wc3 4+P

or anything else that makes you think you're good?

just a thought!

Back