BREAKING NEWS: Arena Pricing Announced (May 25, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Electronic Arts' community guru, EAJamesPond, has posted the long-awaited pricing announcement for Wing Commander Arena to the official message boards:
Just to let you know!

EA’s Wing Commander Arena, scheduled to go live this summer on Xbox Live Arcade, will be available for 800 MSFT points.
That's $10 US, for those unfamiliar with the MS Point system. This is great news - EA had an opportunity to premiere some new kind of pricing scheme with Arena given its larger scope compared to previous original content releases. That could have created an unfortunate backlash among the ordinary XBLA users who we need to make the release a hit. As it stands now, Arena is an incredible bargain.

--
Original update published on May 25, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the exchange rate doesn't actually affect MS points.. I believe 1000 point packs are £8.50. But still, about £7 for Arena is an incredible bargain.

Arena appears to have far more scope than any other XBLA game and there have been lesser games priced at 1200 points before now.

mspconverter.com says 800 points is £6.80.

I bought a 500 point pack as soon as I heard the news, bumping my total up to 860.... I'm *ready*! :)

I've had 1000 points sitting on my account, waiting for this very day. I refused to spend it on anything but Arena, though there was one or two tempting things like DOOM or the Gears Of War map pack.

LeHah, just as an FYI, If you want to play Doom, and don't really care about playing over Xbox Live or Achievement points - you buy the original Xbox Doom 3 Collector's Edition game. It includes Ultimate Doom and Doom II on the disc! Both of which can be played locally (or, I think, through System Link) in Deathmatch or Co-op modes.

Nu

Arena appears to have far more scope than any other XBLA game and there have been lesser games priced at 1200 points before now.

There's even just map packs for 1200 on the XBox Live Marketplace. 800 for such a huge game like this is a great great deal.

It's amazing of EA and MS to do this, it aught to shut up some of those people who accuse them of horrendous greed

That's nice - after 300 € for the XBox I can use all the saving I can get. On the other hand, I just saw "Assassin's Creed" and I think I want to have that game. There are some XBox titles that interest me very much (Godzilla save the Earth, Dead Rising, Conan...)...

The sad thing is not only did I think what LOAF just said, when I read Vinman's comment, but about a second after reading it I started to mentally run through the various forms of intarweb stupidity to re-justify the accusations...

I hope that's just a "know your enemy" thing, and not that I'm inclined to agree with said goobers... :(

wait, what!? there is a conan game coming out on the 360?
hot damn!

I wonder how many of us will buy multiple copies of arena :p

The sad thing is not only did I think what LOAF just said, when I read Vinman's comment, but about a second after reading it I started to mentally run through the various forms of intarweb stupidity to re-justify the accusations...

I hope that's just a "know your enemy" thing, and not that I'm inclined to agree with said goobers... :(

Ugh, I bet they're just keeping the price low so they can sucker people into buying a full-fledged sequel!!

Makes me sick!

wait, what!? there is a conan game coming out on the 360?
hot damn!

Yeah, but only in 2008 I think. And I read somewhere that it will be a online game which will keep me from buying it if it's true.

I wonder how many of us will buy multiple copies of arena :p

Ah, since it's a downloadable game I guess not too many. ;) (I guess you were joking) Though I would buy it for XBox and PC if it comes out for it.

I was joking.. sort of. If I can.. I'm gonna buy it at least twice. $10 is simply too cheap for a new game :p

Yeah, but only in 2008 I think. And I read somewhere that it will be a online game which will keep me from buying it if it's true.

Yeah, even if you make multiple profiles on your xbox, they will all have access to the paid Arcade games your main account has downloaded. It might be possible to make new accounts on memory cards and then buy different copies of the game that way. The best way might be just to get it for all your friends.

Someday, probably a few years down the line, I would expect some sort of disc compilation of EA Arcade titles. If something like that is made, it'd make sense to include Arena.

I dunno.. if its not just a world of warcraft clone, I could definitely go for some high adventure in Hyboria!

It would keep me from buying it because I have an irrational hatred for online multiplayer games.

BTW: yesterday I was told that a friend of mine bought himself a XBox360. Now, are the Arena multiplayer maps only available over the internet or are they also accessible when playing WLAN against another XBox?

(...)Someday, probably a few years down the line, I would expect some sort of disc compilation of EA Arcade titles. If something like that is made, it'd make sense to include Arena.

That'd be sweet.

Back