BREAKING NEWS: Amazing EA Contest Announced (July 23, 2007)

Why do people keep asking this? They never announce who won contests like this, it's really nobody's business.

People ask because they want to know.

I'm going to wager it wasn't one of us because someone would have surely said something by now. Although with some here you never know.

Yeah, people are naturally curious, particularly us Wingnuts with what is such an awesome prize, although I agree with Loaf that generally knowing who the winner is in these sorts of competitions, is none of our business.

However, what continues to make me personally still curious in the outcome of this competition is the appearance of no winner yet having been found/determined, which EA has unfortunately allowed to linger as far as I can see. Back in September last year, James Pond (EA Community Representative) on the official EA Wing Commander Arena forums, specifically states that the winners will be "announced soon" and that the "results are coming". The official rules also state under point 5: Winner's List that once verified, a list of winners would be available on www.ea.com for two weeks; this list could also be obtained by contacting EA directly.

Whether its right or not to know *who* the winner(s) were, EA has left cause for the curious to wonder. If they hadn't included the "Winner List" point in the rules, they could have just announced at some point that the winners had been chosen and notified and their prizes are in mail or something like that and that would have sufficed. Personally, I'm not fussed to know who won, just that the competition was honored and if so, I hope that the winners really enjoy the prizes, because they are a veritable treasure trove of WC goodness that one wishes go to a good home!

In all honesty, I'm not really sure why hardcore Wing Commander fans were super-interested in the contest to begin with. It's neat to see all that stuff... but they're the games and systems we've been playing with for the last 18 years. I would probably feel pretty bad if I had won -- the stuff should go to someone who doesn't already *have* this stuff.

I can at least assure you that there's no evil conspiracy on the part of EA's web people. I got to know the guys behind this contest during the run-up to Arena and they're both incredibly kind people. They came up with this whole contest on their own and were incredibly excited to announce it and also very eager to give it away... if for some reason it hasn't found an owner yet then I know it's not for lack of frustrated trying.

(In fact, they recently helped me with something very cool that you'll see in the next month or so... without it having anything to do with their jobs.)

Wow... I sure would have liked to get that stuff, I only have WC3 PS1 and Prophecy for the GBA. The Kilrathi Saga is a nightmare to find on ebay, and if you do its outragously priced. The SNES games are priced far better though. Are they actually still looking for someone to give all that to?

I hate you Medevil, I really, really do. Seeing this as the top thread made me think there actually was a new game...

It was like someone offered me coke in an alley, but I just couldn't afford it...

er, what? :p

Wow... I sure would have liked to get that stuff, I only have WC3 PS1 and Prophecy for the GBA. The Kilrathi Saga is a nightmare to find on ebay, and if you do its outragously priced.

It's not necessary to find Kilrathi Saga. All the DOS equivalents are much cheaper and run very well in DOSBox. There are many other games for you to hunt down besides those in the Kilrath Saga as well.

The SNES games are priced far better though. Are they actually still looking for someone to give all that to?

No, the contest ended last summer.

I hate you Medevil, I really, really do. Seeing this as the top thread made me think there actually was a new game...

Please don't put the blame on me by hating me:(, I may have posted, but thats all.

It's not necessary to find Kilrathi Saga. All the DOS equivalents are much cheaper and run very well in DOSBox. There are many other games for you to hunt down besides those in the Kilrath Saga as well.

No, the contest ended last summer.

They are? I never really thought of buying the DOS versions, and thats only because I thought they came on floppy disks right? I was looking for them on CD, so I thought it might be better to get Kilrathi Saga.

Did anyone eventually recieve all of that stuff at the end of the contest?

Please don't put the blame on me by hating me:(, I may have posted, but thats all.

They are? I never really thought of buying the DOS versions, and thats only because I thought they came on floppy disks right? I was looking for them on CD, so I thought it might be better to get Kilrathi Saga.

Did anyone eventually recieve all of that stuff at the end of the contest?

There are CD versions of both WC 1 and 2 that include all the expansions as well. WC2 deluxe is on ebay fairly regularly for relatively cheap.

Your best bet is to look for the CD that has both WC1 and WC2 Deluxe on it. Every now and then one pops up on eBay. Not only does it have both games but all 4 expansions as well. Typically go for between $10-$20.

All DOS Wing Commander games were (also) released on CD. Were it the case that the pre-WC3 games were only available on 3.5 inch floppy disks, a 3.5 USB drive is only $20 and would be a fine investment to play these games however.

Your best bet is to look for the CD that has both WC1 and WC2 Deluxe on it. Every now and then one pops up on eBay. Not only does it have both games but all 4 expansions as well. Typically go for between $10-$20.

Those CDs are great, but don't hold out for one. Separately, WC1 on CD and WC2 on CD can be found for approx $10 each as well.

I'm thinking of getting an xbox 360 now, as the prices are going down, how many players are on the WCA gameservers?

I'm thinking of getting an xbox 360 now, as the prices are going down, how many players are on the WCA gameservers?

...unfortunately for me I don't even have an Xbox 360, and I won't be getting one untill after I get a PSP. The last new system out there I bought was the DS. I wish I had a 360 though, WCA looks pretty good.

Like most Live Arcade games after a few months, the active playing population dwindles quite a bit. It can be harder to find a good match up today. Fortunately you post here, so you know dozens of people to play with. If you get a 360, feel free to set up times you'd like to play and get other CIC visitors to join.

...unfortunately for me I don't even have an Xbox 360, and I won't be getting one untill after I get a PSP. The last new system out there I bought was the DS. I wish I had a 360 though, WCA looks pretty good.

If you have to make choices like that, at least you're getting a system where you can get another new Wing Commander release (EA Replay).

Back