Breaking: New Chris Roberts Game Announced! (October 10, 2012)

Haven't had time to read everything yet, but interesting to see the attempt to bring both the military (Wing Commander) and civilian (Privateer/Freelancer) game-play styles to the new game. I also like the sound of the payment model: I never touched subscription-based games because they force me to try to make the most of what I pay for in that fixed time-period - not everyone can dedicate several hours a day, every day of the week/month/whatever, to playing a given game. But I don't like the standard 'free-to-play with micro-transactions' model either, because of how horrifyingly unbalanced the on-line experience becomes - the advantage goes to those who have more money than sense, not those who have the skill or patience to work hard at a game.

I like the attempt to show the industry that there is still a demand for full-fledged, top-quality games on the PC - especially of the space-sim genre - and while I'm not the 'omg its chris robertz!!!!!11111one' type, I don't this idea is an ego-trip. I think he deserves the high regard that he has in the gaming community and clearly a lot of game news sites think so too, else they wouldn't care to report on the announcement. Going directly to the fans and gaming public is an interesting experiment at the very least, it's doing something different to the standard, and it seems to me that Chris is usually doing something constructive in that regard.

A question about the contributions... what's the process like? Payment options? Obviously USD and Euro covers most of the target audience, so I'm concerned about currency exchange complications. Looks like I'll be watching the exchange rates for the next 30 or so days in which the contributions are being accepted.

Hope that it doesn't get to the point where they can't 'meet the target', but nice that there's a provision for that situation as well.

I still think that's no game but a social experiment to see if people still complain if you give them everything they cry for. And i suppose i'm proving them right with this very post.

I really wanna know how much is the funding now after more then 24 hours...

PS: Big Thanks Zohrath. FekLeyrTarg help me atm with the textures and I upload then a pic asap ;)

What does UEES stand for?
I remember from reading the Time Capsule fiction that UPE was 'United Planets of Earth' or something like that. And some people were complaining that UPE was a dumb acronym. I'm not sure if there was an actual in-universe explanation for it, but soon after there was a transition to UEE - United Earth Empire? So UEES would just UEE Ship.

Back