Booze

Really? I've never forgotten anything the day after drinking.

How would you know if you had forgotten something? You certainly shouldn't remember forgetting it...

I've found that the best test for alcohol induced memory loss is to get really liquored up, then watch a movie you've never seen before. It's almost amazing how little you can retain.

I had an interesting experience once where I was quite drunk, and vaguely remembered a few things that I did that night, and I certainly remember the hangover the next day. However, after talking to some people who were around that nite (and, more importantly, sober), there was a lot of stuff that I did that I have absolutely no recollection of. Some . . . out-of-character stuff. Yay for liquor!

overmortal said:
I had an interesting experience once where I was quite drunk, and vaguely remembered a few things that I did that night, and I certainly remember the hangover the next day. However, after talking to some people who were around that nite (and, more importantly, sober), there was a lot of stuff that I did that I have absolutely no recollection of. Some . . . out-of-character stuff. Yay for liquor!

Generaly it is fun, especially when you ask people next day what you were doing, but once my friend decided to jump from the biggest dam in my country (it was just about 100 m from the house the party was in) and we barely stopped him (outside) - it was scary.

They'll all say to me, "Man, please don't repeat what you did at the Christmas party last year." That's how I then remember that I forgot stuff.

Mad Cow said:
Wow...the thread for me.

Let's see, my favorite:

Beer: Labatt Blue or Miller Lite. I stock Labatt in my fridge at home, but buy Miller in bars because I don't like paying import price for Labatt. Both are great beers, though, and both are union made. :)

Spirit: Mainly a brown liquor guy. I don't really have a favorite bourbon, but my favorite Tennessee whiskey is Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. Favorite scotch is Laphroig (I would say Johnny Walker Blue, but I can't afford to drink it on even a semi-regular basis). For Canadian Whiskey I'd go with Crown Royal Special Reserve. In fact, I never understood why people will pay so much for Crown and not pay the little bit extra for an even better version of Crown.

Lately, a friend of mine turned me onto Bombay Sapphire gin, which is fantastic in a gin and tonic with a lime twist. Since I mainly drink my liquor neat or on the rocks with a splash of water, I guess that'd be my favorite mixed drink.

Well, my first go at this reply got deleted when they brought the backup on-line (btw for the admins, the reason hardly anyone posted is probably because the forum link in the tool bar was wrong, and gave the impression the forums were down), and I don't feel like typing it all in again, but I just wonder how someone who favors American Pilsners for beer (which, contrary to what the snobby hop-heads will tell you, do have flavor but which are somewhat subdued) goes for Laphroaig in scotch, which is a bit overwhelming unless you have it as the last in an evening after a series of malts. I personally prefer more forceful beers like Sam Adams, Guinness, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or just about any IPA, with an occasional Yuengling, and all kinds of scotches, with an occasional Laproaig or Lagavulin, but prefer Cragganmore, Balvenie, or some of the reserve Glenlivets. My wife prefers the milder scotches too, both on my breath and for her to drink! And I have to agree on the Jack Single Barrel- I've only had it once, at a restaurant where I wasn't too interested in the scotches they had, and it was excellent.

And, if this post seems rambly, that would be the effect of a couple of glasses of port, one of my preferences in wines, along with pinot grigios and sauvignon blancs.

Cheers,

Valkyrie386

Nappydman said:
Coming from Milwaukee, I generally drink Miller High Life as my standard cheap beer. When I'm feeling like something better, lately I've been drinking Harp or Pilsner Urquell, or one of the multitudes of microbreweries we have around here.

As far as spirits, I like all varieties of whiskey (especially scotch) and vodka. I can drink cheap beer, but I can't stomach cheap liquor anymore. The hangover just isn't worth it.

And Shipgate, you don't live out in Utah, by chance? I hear the Mormons did a number on liquor laws. I also hear there's actually a few counties scattered about the United States that are completely dry.

My one trip to Salt Lake City, I found the laws humorous but not really too bad. As I recall, it cost us $5 to have one person in my party join the "club" (which is really just a normal bar) for a year, and that person could bring something like 5 "guests" in with them at any time.

Oklahoma does have 3.2 beer in grocery stores, but you can get stronger in liquor stores (except as I understand it you can't get the mainstream Coors/Bud/Miller in liquor stores for some obscure legal reason; I don't recall, since when I lived there I never bought beer in the liquor stores). I'm assuming the "OK+" that you see on a lot of beer bottles is indicating that it's greater than 3.2, especially since I never see it on the bottles when I'm visiting there. Until about 20 years ago, OK was BYOB if you wanted liquor by the drink in restaurants. You'd literally bring your bottle in and give it to the bartender, and he'd serve you from that. (Although my parents say they were often given their bottle back, unopened, at the end of the night.) It's now county option whether to allow liquor sales by the drink, and there are a few counties that don't allow it but almost all do. Oklahoma's liquor stores (which are extensively regulated, but privately owned) are closed on Sundays.

There are many counties that are dry. My sister-in-law lives in one in Arkansas. And, amazingly, Bourbon County, Kentucky is DRY!

Swinging to the other extreme, New Mexico has extremely liberal laws. You can buy any liquor, beer, wine, etc. in grocery stores, and they have drive-up liquor stands. The stands can't mix you a drink and give it to you in your car, but they will give you a glass of mix on ice, with salt, lime, whatever, and an unopened split of liquor. You figure out what happens next. Not surprisingly, NM has a very high incidence of DUI. I remember in '95 or so, when I first moved there, they had just passed a law that the drive-up stands couldn't be open on Sunday, and in an article in the paper someone was complaining that their Constitutional rights were being infringed because they actually had to park their car and walk in to get liquor on Sunday! In one of the few limitations, you can't get alcohol in restaurants before noon on Sunday (and maybe you can't buy it in the stores, either).

Other oddities I've encountered- you can't buy beer on Sunday in Indiana. I always have to remember to stock up on Saturday so I'll have some after I get back to my hotel after the Indy 500. Until recently, the state-run liquor stores in Virginia were closed on Sunday, but some of them are open now.

Valkyrie386 said:
Swinging to the other extreme, New Mexico has extremely liberal laws. You can buy any liquor, beer, wine, etc. in grocery stores, and they have drive-up liquor stands.
Hehe, when I was in Australia, I was really stunned by the concept of drive-through liquor stores. Absolutely ingenious combination ;).

(though, to be fair, Australia does not have a significantly higher occurance of DUI than other countries, at least as far as I know, so I guess however strange this combination is, its effects aren't that bad)

Shipgate said:
Really? I've never forgotten anything the day after drinking. I think you'd have to pass out to become forgetful wouldn't you?

Nah, not pass out, but you'll play a game, like Wing Commander, and the next morning you won't remember how far you got. All it takes is a quick boot of the computer and a an equally rapid scan of the kill board and it all starts to come back. I was kind of crazy in my 20s and did that a lot. But it sure was fun. I'm all grown up now. :D

my favs:

Beers:
Hoegaarden; a belgium white-beer
Palm; very nice belgium beer
Grolsch; the best dutch beer
Urthel; another belgium beer, but a very strong one (around 12%)
La Chouffe; i believe it's also belgium beer, very nice and sweet. about 8%

i've tried Miller once, and it's too watery. Same for Bud...

Stronger drinks;
Safari; realy exotic nice drink. nice with cola
Malibu; some sort exotic drink too
then i used to be in Vodka a while, but i drank i too much

i'm more into beer lately, since it's cheaper and tastes better. and your farts also get a nice aroma of it

Messing with deuces can be quite fun at times. I'll run one through a couple standard FST's and tell him "you're doing really good, and you only have one more test before you go, just count to ten while touching the backs of your hands together behind your back." Click-click, on go the cuffs. The look on their faces can be priceless. Oh, and I'm about a 2.0 right now.

i had a mix once on a new year, i still don't want to know what went in it. there was stuff floating around in it :S

Back