Boot disk

baronfel

Spaceman
Can anyone post the config.sys and autoexec.bat files for me? im running windows98... and this is a major pain in my ass cuz lost my old bootdisk and my mom threw out my printed copy and lord knows microsoft cant be nice and you know, use readable boot files anymore...

any help is greatly appreciated

allow me to rephrase... i need to use a bootdisk so i can play my favorite game, the one and only, original Privateer... But alas it wont run in a dos window, and although i have tried and tried, i cant remember jack about making a boot disk from scratch save that you need an autoexec.bat and config.sys.... anyways... i foudn some files, and i could use some help tweekeing them... currently im using this as my boot disk....

config.sys
DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=A:\EMM386.EXE
DOS=HIGH
FILES=25
BUFFERS=25
LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICEHIGH=A:\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000

autoexec.bat
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:WINDOWS\COMMAND
LH A:\MSCDEX.EXE /L:E /D:MSCD000

there are two major problems with this config.... One being that it doesnt recognise the hard drive C, and Two, that it only yields about 559k of free space and if memory serves me correctly i need something like 600+k free for privateer...

any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm in the same boat Baron and I feel for ya...I miss my favorite game too:( Maybe if someone does help you you can ask them to stop my way too. I hope you get it going...Your Privateer friend

A few things...

First thing, do a full install of Privateer, and then cut out the CD drivers and Mscdex. It takes under 200 megs to copy the full speech Privateer/RF CD... which is *nothing* compared to most new games <G>

You need to give more specifiers to your emm386, too -- try "EMM386.EXE 3072 ram".

No need to specify the lastdrive.

(Privateer CD should only need 570k to run... a bit more if you want to grab screenshots:)).

Not sure about your problems recognizing the hard drive -- a far easier alternative to doing a physical boot disk is to setting up a Win9X DOS shortcut with these specifications...

(Also -- your sound drivers should be somewhere...)

Ok, how then would i get the shortcut to do that? Lets just say that i have neglected to stay up to date in the past few years...

As LOAF said, you can copy the large TRE files to the PRIVATER directory on your hard drive. Don't forget to edit the PRIV.CFG and RF.CFG to point to the new location of the TRE files.

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25

This is pretty much what LOAF described (I can't recall exactly where HIMEM.SYS is), you'll also need to find DOS drivers for your soundcard.

ok guys, got that bootdisk running properly... but making it a 9x dos shortcut, not sure how to do it... i have my new autoexec.bat and COnfig.sys on my desktop, my privateer cd is installed in D:privater and mygame directory is d:priv...

thnx for all the help so far

Back