Bombers

Supdon3

Kal-El
When the Stingray is clustered, it doesnt have any torpedoes but does it still have the capability to destroy cap ship components?

Well, it does mount that BFG of a plasma cannon, but I'm not sure if it attacks capships with it.

Best, Raptor

Yes, when clustered the Stingrays mount a Heavy Plasma Cannon, which they can use against capital ships (hence the "Cap Ship Interdiction" in their class name).

Well that certainly explains the extra damage the Cerebus has been taking:) What does everyone else tackle first? The torpedo bombers or the Stingrays when faced with both? I usually take the bombers, preferably with missiles but not always .

I generally hit whatever's closest... any plasma-weapon armed ship is far more dangerous than a torpedo bomber <G>

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I generally hit whatever's closest... any plasma-weapon armed ship is far more dangerous than a torpedo bomber <G>

Plasma's alot harder to shoot down

Yeah, usually there are a few kilometers between waves, but it takes more plasma hits compared to one torpedo to knock out a component. Though their plasma weapon seems to fire off a lot more rapidly than the Devastator's, but ive seen bombers enter range and fire off a torpedo within seconds.

What I'll attack first will depend on the exact situation. If there are less than 3 Stingrays, I always go for the Manta Bs first, or the Skate-T clusters. If, on the other hand, there are more than 3 Stingrays, I try to kill one with a missile before getting back to the real work. It's not that I'm worried that a Stingray cluster will harm the capship - rather, I'm worried about my poor, stupid wingmen :).

I think that torpedo bombers are more dangerous than clustered Stingray's. Propaply becouse that Stingray plasma isn't nothing compared to the devastators eventhough it fire much faster rate and is real pain in fighters ass. I go after red mantas, because those bastards are faster and own capships anyway wont hit those torpedos but most of them know how to shoot Stingray's with missiles. But, like allways, this is only my opinion of the case.

Red Mantas first. Clustered Stingrays when the opportunity arises. Mantas tend to launch their torps far away from the carrier, so proximity priority doesn't work very well. :)

Originally posted by Supdon3
When the Stingray is clustered, it doesnt have any torpedoes but does it still have the capability to destroy cap ship components?
They can damage Cap ship components even when not clustered. It takes them a lot of time though.

When I spot Stingrays at a navpoint, they are the first I target with my missiles so I don't have to bother myself with them later. Just lock an IR on them, fire then switch to the harder foes.
BTW I found Cerberus' gunners quite able to shoot down incoming torps.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-31-2001 at 14:09]

I've seen her do that a couple of times in SOPS.
Have you never seen her to hit a torpedo or even never seen her to shoot at them? They do shoot at torps that's for sure. You can try it out yourself: Shoot a torpedo at the Cerberus and the turrets will immediately turn and start firing at it. If you just never saw her shooting one down, well then the only thing I can say is, the gunners on MY Cerberus hit them from time to time. :)

Well my attention isnt always watching the Cerebus so i cant so she doesnt :) but there have been a couple of times that ive seen a torpedo cruise effortlessly right into one of the engines, with no turret fire aimed at it.

Strange. But it may be possible that the turrets do not cover the engines very good (though, I think I saw her gunning torps down which were directed at her engines). But torps directed at her bridge were shot down very often when I cared to look.

Yeah, i never see the bridge destroyed so that must be why. That or my own skill as a pilot :) The big plasma gun under it doesnt have the best protection either. I saw that toasted once.

I actually got whacked by that big gun for the first time ever yesterday:) My own fault i saw it coming and didnt get off the tail of the ship i was attacking. Lost all my starboard armor and messed up my ship's systems but was still able to complete the mission!

I get the impression that Capt. Murkins (heehee) views his pilots, or at least Casey, as expendable assets.

Those Plunkett class cruisers though........power of Cerberus x200000000000000

ish.

:)

Back