Bnet = Online Savage Land?

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Have any of you guys ever played either starcraft or Warcraft 3 online?

I swear I find Obi Wann's description of Mos Eisley "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." Fits Battle.net quite nicely.

A good example: I was playing Footmen wars, which is basically a 12 person, three team game where each team has one building, foot soldiers come out of the buildings, and then you send them against your enemy until you overwhelm the enemy.

Well these typically took a long time, so I waited while my team mates fought off the enemy horde and the moment I saw an opening in the enemy line right on the side where none of the footmen were, i moved my people through and attacked the enemy base directly, then moved on to the next building until the entire team was destroyed...

Next thing I know, I was being called a &%$#*@ Newbie which makes no sense to me as I just wiped out an entire team by myself. It turns out one of the people I had just killed was the game creator, who said i wasn't playing right, insulted me, my parentage and use words I'm not sure even show up in the dictionary, and next thing I know, I was booted from the game... my last experience on Bnet...

Can someone please tell me whts up with that place?

Have any of you guys ever played either starcraft or Warcraft 3 online?

I swear I find Obi Wann's description of Mos Eisley "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." Fits Battle.net quite nicely.

Can someone please tell me whts up with that place?

BNet is a mixed bag, kinda like a sandbox with little kids in it. Some play nice, some try to make others play by their rules, and then you've got the punks (though I'd much rather use far worse to describe them ;)). For a while I played Starcraft over dialup :)rolleyes:) and though I had some great games with decent people, the amount of bs turned me off from it. I still got my copies and wouldnt mind facing off over a private game :D

Sounds like typical nerd rage to me. I don't remember much from my WC3 days, but stuff like the Starcraft 2 forums seem to be overrun with trolls, losers, and idiots in the worst possible sense. It's not really something I'm interested in getting involved with again, regardless of how good the game will be.

Strange thing is I visited the Diablo III forum recently, and it was just normal people discussing a game they're looking forward to.

I've heard tales of a golden age of the mid-90's and a utopia where people could go five minutes without a racial slur. That was before my time.

It can still be fun. You just need to reduce the number of random people you game with. Grabbing just one person you know to play with can improve the experience drastically.

This is why I prefer lans.

The last time I laned Starcraft we had seven people spread out in two connected rooms. Very fun, since everyone knew everyone (mostly) and the insults yelled out were all in jest.

Without LAN for both Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, I think you'll be forced to log into Battle.net. I've not played there for a very long time, mainly due to other gaming interests.

I've been hosting desert strike lately on StarCraft. I rarely play LT or anything like that. The other day someone called me a cheater/hacker for kicking him when his download stuck. He said some choice words and I banned him :p ... He was on dial up too. There are a lot of people with drop hacks running around these days. I hate it.

Star Craft 2 is supposed to go beta sometime this month... If you can believe that.

Apparently BNET is going to turn into Steam. I don't like it one bit.

And most 10 year old kids can trash talk more than me on Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty 4... It's sad.

It helps if the game has some sort of friends list, (Which, IIRC, Bnet has) then you can sort the wheat from the chaff. Steam tends to be good for this.

Ah, good old bnet. Seriously, it never felt like a true victory if it wasn't accompanied by insults about my mother.

You played with random people from the Internet. You just can't do that anymore.

Agreed. Anymore, I play a Battlefield 2 mod (Nations At War) and mostly have my clan peeps that I play with...most of the time, anyone else just sits around, uses the M249 to mow everyone down with, doesn't follow orders and has no interest in teamplay. It's all about the kills, and if the guy next to you dies or if you run out of ammo, oh well...who cares if you're a Medic or a Supply guy or not? :rolleyes:

Back