Blair's role in the Battle for Earth?

Fellentos

Spaceman
I tried searching about Blair's role in the Battle of Earth but I can't find anything but the fact that he's shot down. The novel "Fleet action" doesn't say anything about it. Surely he would have played a pivotal role in this battle?

Other than the WC3N comment that Blair was sufficiently injured during the BoT to require an extensive hospital stay (thus keeping him off the Concordia when it was downed in Vespus), there really isn't any info about how he did.

As for playing a pivotal role, while he is one of the best Confed aces, he isn't the best (10th or 11th highest killscore during the Kilrathi war, IIRC), and other than that he was the player's character in the games there's nothing saying that things only happen when Blair's involved. Remember, the games only directly show a small portion of a war that was spread across a whole heap of light-years, with only a few in-[game/documentation] mentions of elsewhere in the galaxy.

I believe I heard that he was shot down during the battle. As for his role... I am not sure. Probably just as big as any other really good pilot out there.

Blair was the Concordia's Wing Commander during the Battle of Earth -- he was shot down and badly burned during the fighting.

He was the 11th highest scoring ace of the war and holds the record for number of enemy aces shot down.

And he didn't fly a combat mission for ten years so that would have cut into his kills and a good number of the highest scoring aces in confed got them during the early years of the war, when Kilrathi defensive technology was weak and they used simple tactics (credit is due to Loaf for most of this info I think)

Iceman died with a little over three hundred kills to his credit IIRC, wheras Blair's number by the time of his death must be a litte higher than 2,002 as that is what Maniac has in WCP, and he is right behind Blair on the listing.

Death said:
As for playing a pivotal role, while he is one of the best Confed aces, he isn't the best (10th or 11th highest killscore during the Kilrathi war

Blair very well may have been the best pilot of the war. Killscores alone can't be the only deciding factor because of the early defensive technology issue that has already been mentioned. Just like some of the eastern front German aces with massive killscores in WW2, they downed a whole lot of enemy planes - but they were up against the obsolete Russian airforce.

Paddybhoy said:
And he didn't fly a combat mission for ten years so that would have cut into his kills and a good number of the highest scoring aces in confed got them during the early years of the war, when Kilrathi defensive technology was weak and they used simple tactics (credit is due to Loaf for most of this info I think)

That was mentioned in the biograpy of Blair in the official Prophecy guide (can't find my copy of it, though, hence my relying on my spotty memory for his ranking).

In any case, while he is credited as the best pilot of his generation (WCP guide), there's still the issue that, in spite of his efforts, he's still only one person, in a war where millions of them were involved directly (as in combat ops) in the conflict. Even the best of pilots can only do so much, especially in the "backs to the wall" situation that was the BoT.

Sylvester said:
Iceman died with a little over three hundred kills to his credit IIRC, wheras Blair's number by the time of his death must be a litte higher than 2,002 as that is what Maniac has in WCP, and he is right behind Blair on the listing.

maniac was a lousy pilot, always tried to avoid him. he never came for help when i asked for aid, and he always stole my kills.

Blair was a very important pilot, he was the person who nuked kilrah, maybe there were other better combat pilots, but he had a quite a experience with special taskes...

Fenris Ulven said:
maniac was a lousy pilot, always tried to avoid him. he never came for help when i asked for aid, and he always stole my kills.

Maniac may have been more of a skilled pilot than even Blair. It was his cockiness and carelessness that made him take stupid risks (combined with a few losses and failures... he was responsible for some ally deaths (on a transport?)and somewhat responsible for rosie's death). He was jealous of Blair perhaps, which shows in his reaction as your wingman. He wants to hog the limelight.

AD said:
Maniac may have been more of a skilled pilot than even Blair. It was his cockiness and carelessness that made him take stupid risks (combined with a few losses and failures... he was responsible for some ally deaths (on a transport?)and somewhat responsible for rosie's death). He was jealous of Blair perhaps, which shows in his reaction as your wingman. He wants to hog the limelight.

no, he was just a solo player ergo a lusy pilot. a pilot must also be a good team player....

In technical competence at handling a fighter... is what I meant. Despite his willingness to rely on "luck" he was skilled at his job. His value as a wingman obviously would diminish because of his self centeredness. hence his failure to advance in rank is a direct result of his flying style. Pilots do solo flights all the time. Wingmen by definition shouldn't be doing solo flights. Maniac may have been an excellent pilot, but for sure he was a lousy wingman, atleast when you needed someone to watch your back.

AD said:
In technical competence at handling a fighter... is what I meant. Despite his willingness to rely on "luck" he was skilled at his job. His value as a wingman obviously would diminish because of his self centeredness. hence his failure to advance in rank is a direct result of his flying style. Pilots do solo flights all the time. Wingmen by definition shouldn't be doing solo flights. Maniac may have been an excellent pilot, but for sure he was a lousy wingman, atleast when you needed someone to watch your back.

true, escpecially about that about have somebody to watch your back....
But he stole kills.... very very annoying!

Stealing kills i didn't have much of a problem with, stats are nothing compared to completing the mission.

The thing I had a problem with was that he'd brag about how good he was afterwards!

FrostyNSO said:
he'd brag about how good he was afterwards!

I always liked how the WC4 strategy guide put it:

"Chalk up another one for the Maniac! Sheesh. Give me a break. On more than one occasion I chose to let him play with chalk onboard the carrier rather than annoy me."

This just about sums up my thoughts about Maniac's cockiness, but you have to admit he is still quite good, not like that pathetic excuse for a pilot in WC1.

Well, after the war people do call him "Savier of Confederation" and it also seems that he have the most medals and stuff. But on this particular case we can wonder he did some kind of damage before being shot down, even if there's no specific info.

Blair the one-man army, the Jack Bauer of Wing Commander.

i heard something that blair felt sorry for the kilrathi and the bombing or was that just something people said beacouse of the ending of wc3? in the shoutle?....

Just had a curious thought....

How many fighters were available to both sides during BoT? It's been a while since I read FA...

Back