Blair Looses it.

It made me think of that magical night in the backseat of a Broadsword.

Not sure if they have heads on the BS. I do know that jump-capable Sabres do not. Just ask Tolwyn and his nephew Kevin about their trip back from the Tarawa to Landreich :p

Thought so. Who would want to take a crap in a place where they both had to sleep? Hell just farting in that space would be bad enough

Y'all joke, but yes, undoubtedly Confed flight suits are fitted out with waste disposal systems (or whatever the technical term is for them). They wouldn't be able to function otherwise - you can't very well order an ejected pilot to "hold it in" until SAR arrives :p.

They wouldn't be able to function otherwise - you can't very well order an ejected pilot to "hold it in" until SAR arrives :p.

I'd think by the time a pilot experiences the near-death experience and ejects, there would be nothing more to hold in while waiting for SAR.

I doubt think the suits themselves would be equipped with the correct hoses/tubes (can you imagine having to hook up hoses and suction cups before every flight?), but we do know (thanks to an interesting little part of Fleet Action) that there are relief bags for those long flights (though, apparently, Tolwyn forgot to bring extras on his trip back to Confed space).

In reality, pre-shuttle spacecraft had convenient hoses to suck out waste and shoot it into the void. There is a funny anecdote about Alan Shepard, the first American in space, who was only expecting a short suborbital flight, but was delayed on the launchpad due to an electrical problem. Apparently, he didn't think of relieving himself before the launch, and when waiting on the pad, he needed to relieve himself. The scene was immortalized for history in both the book and movie The Right Stuff. Most history books leave out the fact that the first American to make it into space did so with moist underwear.

Well, the big ships like the Broadsword probably have a bathroom, right? It has a crew of 4, after all.

Probably not; I'm sure the pilots used a sealed bag similar to the ones used today. I don't think that particular technology would have to change to much; there's not much point in reinventing the book, if you know what I mean

Probably not; I'm sure the pilots used a sealed bag similar to the ones used today. I don't think that particular technology would have to change to much; there's not much point in reinventing the book, if you know what I mean
I dunno - not sure about large bombers, but the Catalina flying boats did have a toilet. So, it's possible the Broadsword does too.

(though I'm not sure if that isn't some kind of premature April Fool's thing)
As Q mentioned a while back, while it's easy to laugh at this sort of thing, it's not so easy when you're stuck out in space when you really need to go right now this very instant!

As for April Fool's Day, some of us are in it right now. Keep having to remember that everyone else is so slow so as not to get caught out by web-sites on 2nd April. :p

Back